Found 24th Aug 2007
Hiya, i know ive had some sound advice from some of you on here so im hoping for some more help! LOL
Ive just noticed one of my platys has the most HUGE belly!! Also the other platy is following it Everywhere! Like swimming along side her constantly! In a protecting manner.

I know platys have a slight buldge but this is like a human being 9months!! its so funny...
adviceeeee please

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
37 Comments

Yes it probably is, Platys breed like mad!!

Banned

They always look fat to me. Evening Nutta xxx

Original Poster

the randy lot!! Im going to be a grand mother!!!!!
so so what do i do.......? get ready with my net to fish the babies out?:oops:

Original Poster

Prissymiss

They always look fat to me. Evening Nutta xxx

hi sweety!!! xxxxxxx

hey all got slightly swollen bellys but this one is massive! its so funny to watch

How many have you got (males and females), There nearly as bad as guppys.....

Original Poster

ok theres 3 platys, but i dont know what sexes they are lol how do you tell!
cant you tell im a pro at this lol

Banned

pcnutta

ok theres 3 platys, but i dont know what sexes they are lol how do you … ok theres 3 platys, but i dont know what sexes they are lol how do you tell!cant you tell im a pro at this lol

Which ones are wearing lipstick???

See, its easy:thumbsup:

Banned

Hold a decent handbag or pair of shoes to the tank. Whichever ones take interes:giggle: t are obviously female

pcnutta

ok theres 3 platys, but i dont know what sexes they are lol how do you … ok theres 3 platys, but i dont know what sexes they are lol how do you tell!cant you tell im a pro at this lol

Female is the one with her mouth open !!

Original Poster

LOLLLLLLLLLL @ U lot! ok so im looking for a handbag carrying, lipstick wearing , high heeled,platy with her mouth open? Gee this is going to be easy! LOL
im uploading a pic now of the one i think is pregant!

Banned

pcnutta

LOLLLLLLLLLL @ U lot! ok so im looking for a handbag carrying, lipstick … LOLLLLLLLLLL @ U lot! ok so im looking for a handbag carrying, lipstick wearing , high heeled,platy with her mouth open? Gee this is going to be easy! LOL im uploading a pic now of the one i think is pregant!

Look we have given you all the clues babe, what more could you need????:)

watch out for when she has them - the adults eat the new fry
ideally you should put her in a seperate tank and then a hatching container which allows the fry to get out of her way. or make sure there are lots of hiding places for them
if you keep the babies in a different tank you might even get some to survive into adults! it was the only way i could do it!

I had lots of plants in my tank, So when I had platys the fry would hide amongst the plants!

Banned

Aquatic

watch out for when she has them - the adults eat the new fryideally you … watch out for when she has them - the adults eat the new fryideally you should put her in a seperate tank and then a hatching container which allows the fry to get out of her way. or make sure there are lots of hiding places for themif you keep the babies in a different tank you might even get some to survive into adults! it was the only way i could do it!

Unless you dont want them to grow as you have no room, in which case, let nature take its course.

Original Poster

Aquatic

watch out for when she has them - the adults eat the new fryideally you … watch out for when she has them - the adults eat the new fryideally you should put her in a seperate tank and then a hatching container which allows the fry to get out of her way. or make sure there are lots of hiding places for themif you keep the babies in a different tank you might even get some to survive into adults! it was the only way i could do it!

ive got spare tank upstairs with plants in,which we was going to do plantariam... maybe we could put the babies in there:-D

pcnutta

OK HERE SHE IS! LOL … OK HERE SHE IS! LOL http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w306/catherine1975/?action=view¤t=DSC00376re.jpgAND http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w306/catherine1975/?action=view¤t=DSC00376.jpg

Yeah defo preggers!

You can tell by the gravid spot at the back. :thumbsup:

pcnutta

ive got spare tank upstairs with plants in,which we was going to do … ive got spare tank upstairs with plants in,which we was going to do plantariam... maybe we could put the babies in there:-D

Only problem is you'll be over run with platy's they have something ridiculous like 200 at a time, So you'll probably have at least 20-30.

Original Poster

omgosh i feel so proud and excited!! how long do i wait till she goes into labour? i have to be there at birth, she needs me!

pcnutta

omgosh i feel so proud and excited!! how long do i wait till she goes … omgosh i feel so proud and excited!! how long do i wait till she goes into labour? i have to be there at birth, she needs me!

Looking at her i'd say she probably is already having a few! :giggle:

Original Poster

lol omg! lol whos the daddy i ask! LOL

Probably the one chasing her around the tank....

Original Poster

heheh yep. so is that a protection thing or does he want to eat the babies? OR does he want her to hurry up and have them so he can have another GO! lol

Original Poster

im so excited, its my first, and im like a bottle of pop! ( youd never guess) LOL

pcnutta

heheh yep. so is that a protection thing or does he want to eat the … heheh yep. so is that a protection thing or does he want to eat the babies? OR does he want her to hurry up and have them so he can have another GO! lol

Because he wants another go, But if any free meals comes out he'll probably just eat them too.

marbles - We used them when our platys were poping. Get a pile of marbles in the tank (carfully you so do NOT want to crack a fish tank!!) put some plants round it and leave everthing alone. About 90% of the fry will bite the dust one way or another but given the platys breading rate it really isn't a problem!!!!

Original Poster

Thanks Jenny, i just managed to get this pic of her ... with which i think is the * fry* thing, black shadow by her anal fin? Is this the evidence to determin she is pregnant. Shes spending alot of her time at tha back amongst the plants..( ive been watching her for last 20 mins lol)

s179.photobucket.com/alb…jpg

and she goes to te back and does a shakey dance thing, like shes shivering lol

Yeah that black shadow is called the "gravid spot", She is definitely preggers as said before, Lol!

If she is going to the back of the tank, I wouldn't be surprised if she has already has had a few, Maybe thats what the shaking is?

Original Poster

awww and hes following her to feed on them! the greedy fish! hehehehe

Banned

I guess its each to there own on keeping fish, but try some Convict Cichlid, they are brilliant
I had some, and when they bred it was fascinating to watch them take care of their young.

And no, I've not see one aquatic frog jump on a seahorse and shout "yee-haaaw" and rob the food depositor

My sil keeps Cichlids and they breed like wildfire and are total self sufficient no need to take anything out the tank and the survival rate is phenominal. Shes over run by the blighters now :giggle:

Sloth/Mod

It's all so complicated now. What happened to having a Goldfish and flushing it down the toilet when it turned into a floater?? :giggle:

Syzable

It's all so complicated now. What happened to having a Goldfish and … It's all so complicated now. What happened to having a Goldfish and flushing it down the toilet when it turned into a floater?? :giggle:

:giggle: I'm with you! I didnt even know what the title was talking about!

Original Poster

Afternoon all, quick update, im alittle stumped now, i got up this morning , checked on her, and her belly is abit smaller!! She still got quite a large black area at anal fin.and the other platy is following her around like crazy!! Just been to aquatics place and bought a birthing tank thing. I cant see any babies in tank but shes definatly smaller than lastnight! its very werid!

not really if they have all been gobbled although I'm slightly stumped as I would have thought she would have had them all by now :thinking:

Syzable

It's all so complicated now. What happened to having a Goldfish and … It's all so complicated now. What happened to having a Goldfish and flushing it down the toilet when it turned into a floater?? :giggle:

Nothing worse than a 'floater' that will not flush :whistling:

stora

Nothing worse than a 'floater' that will not flush :whistling:

:lol:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Items broken from argos - will I get replacement or refund?57
    2. heart rate monitor fitness watch44
    3. Charge Back From A Betting Account77
    4. How to remove bar at bottom of screen on ios 11.0.322