Is my Switch game a fake copy?

Posted 5th Feb
I got a game recently on eBay - New Super Lucky's Tale for Nintendo Switch (it was an auction win), £22.17 total. It didn't seem like too much of a "too good to be true" moment because you can get this game for around £25 new so it's only a few pounds cheaper

Why I'm thinking this is a fake copy I received is, even though it played fine...

- It gave me more Gold Points than it should've

- When I tap + on the game icon from the Switch Home menu, and then Nintendo eShop, it says "Software currently unavailable." even though the game is still available to purchase on Nintendo eShop

To confirm I have not been banned from any online services to my knowledge (I'm able to play games online and browse the eShop), and I'm sure the online ban is supposed to happen for using fake game cartridges

Can anyone help with this please?

Thank you in advance
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Should get gold points equal to 1% of RRP for physical games. What game is it?
RandomUser4205/02/2020 17:09

Should get gold points equal to 1% of RRP for physical games. What game is …Should get gold points equal to 1% of RRP for physical games. What game is it?

New Super Lucky's Tale. I've always got points equal to 1% based on the full eShop price for physical games so I was expecting 36 Gold Points (£0.36) but got 63 for some reason

I've also noticed the insert isn't in English...

39842753.jpg
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 5th Feb
I didn't even know that were such things as fake cartridges for the Switch. Could it not just be from a different region or something simple like that?
Haircut_10005/02/2020 17:30

I didn't even know that were such things as fake cartridges for the …I didn't even know that were such things as fake cartridges for the Switch. Could it not just be from a different region or something simple like that?

I think it is yeah, fake cartridges do exist from eBay but I've noticed (after posting) the insert is in another language and I haven't been banned from online servers so it's probably just a different region. I didn't know the Switch isn't region locked for physical games until today!
There’s no such thing. People can swap labels and sell broken cartridges but if it loads up the game that you bought, then it’s not fake.
andrewworrall105/02/2020 17:33

I think it is yeah, fake cartridges do exist from eBay but I've noticed …I think it is yeah, fake cartridges do exist from eBay but I've noticed (after posting) the insert is in another language and I haven't been banned from online servers so it's probably just a different region. I didn't know the Switch isn't region locked for physical games until today!

Now you know how to get games cheaper then. Just hunt the foreign markets - if they're not region locked then it's happy days.
andrewworrall105/02/2020 17:33

I think it is yeah, fake cartridges do exist from eBay but I've noticed …I think it is yeah, fake cartridges do exist from eBay but I've noticed (after posting) the insert is in another language and I haven't been banned from online servers so it's probably just a different region. I didn't know the Switch isn't region locked for physical games until today!

Have you got a picture of the front and back of the box please? There should be a few little things on there that we can can look at to see if it's just something like an import from a certain area.
Haircut_10005/02/2020 18:09

Have you got a picture of the front and back of the box please? There …Have you got a picture of the front and back of the box please? There should be a few little things on there that we can can look at to see if it's just something like an import from a certain area.

39843189.jpg
39843189.jpg
39843189.jpg
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 5th Feb
andrewworrall105/02/2020 18:10

[Image] [Image] [Image]

Ah yes, you're right.

Definitely fake. I can tell from some of the pixels and I've seen quite a few shops in my time.
That's just the version of the game for the French market, it's exactly the same as what you'd buy in a UK shop except that the insert and cover use French rather than English (ie look at the red warning panel on the back above the barcode). Absolutely nothing to worry about at all. Getting a French or Nordic copy of a game online is a fairly common thing, all that is different is just the printed materials, the game itself is always exactly the same. Maybe someone ordered the game from Amazon France because it was cheaper there than here.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 5th Feb
andrewworrall105/02/2020 18:18

Comment deleted

He is joking with you. It's not a fake.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 5th Feb
Haircut_10005/02/2020 18:17

That's just the version of the game for the French market, it's exactly …That's just the version of the game for the French market, it's exactly the same as what you'd buy in a UK shop except that the insert and cover use French rather than English (ie look at the red warning panel on the back above the barcode). Absolutely nothing to worry about at all. Getting a French or Nordic copy of a game online is a fairly common thing, all that is different is just the printed materials, the game itself is always exactly the same. Maybe someone ordered the game from Amazon France because it was cheaper there than here.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. No need for me to worry now
Haircut_10005/02/2020 18:19

He is joking with you. It's not a fake.

My bad. I can't always identify jokes from serious comments online
lucasmeister05/02/2020 18:02

There’s no such thing. People can swap labels and sell broken cartridges b …There’s no such thing. People can swap labels and sell broken cartridges but if it loads up the game that you bought, then it’s not fake.

This^ if it works it's not fake it's just people getting different region and spreading fake. Haven't seen a switch fake cartridge yet, there's normally comparisons on the web but there's none.
RandomUser4205/02/2020 17:09

Should get gold points equal to 1% of RRP for physical games. What game is …Should get gold points equal to 1% of RRP for physical games. What game is it?

You get gold points for buying a physical game how, do they automatically apply ? Ive never heard of this and have 26 games and im sure ive never had any points added to my account
Mark_Hickman06/02/2020 14:48

You get gold points for buying a physical game how, do they automatically …You get gold points for buying a physical game how, do they automatically apply ? Ive never heard of this and have 26 games and im sure ive never had any points added to my account

You have to go into more information using + on the controller whilst on the game icon on the Switch HOME menu and then go to the My Nintendo Rewards Program tab
Mark_Hickman06/02/2020 14:48

You get gold points for buying a physical game how, do they automatically …You get gold points for buying a physical game how, do they automatically apply ? Ive never heard of this and have 26 games and im sure ive never had any points added to my account

Redeem your Gold points. You can only redeem your points for physical purchases if the game was released in Europe less than 2 years ago, and they expire 1 year after redemption.
Edited by: "RandomUser42" 6th Feb
RandomUser4206/02/2020 15:01

Redeem your Gold points. You can only redeem your points for physical …Redeem your Gold points. You can only redeem your points for physical purchases if the game was released in Europe less than 2 years ago, and they expire 1 year after redemption.

Thats great thanks
andrewworrall106/02/2020 14:54

You have to go into more information using + on the controller whilst on …You have to go into more information using + on the controller whilst on the game icon on the Switch HOME menu and then go to the My Nintendo Rewards Program tab

Thanks cant believe ive never heard about this
RandomUser4206/02/2020 15:01

Redeem your Gold points. You can only redeem your points for physical …Redeem your Gold points. You can only redeem your points for physical purchases if the game was released in Europe less than 2 years ago, and they expire 1 year after redemption.

I know they're supposed to, but my Gold Points haven't expired a year after redemption at all. I think it might have something to do with me actually spending some Gold Points? Maybe if you spend some they get extended for another year
andrewworrall106/02/2020 15:19

I know they're supposed to, but my Gold Points haven't expired a year …I know they're supposed to, but my Gold Points haven't expired a year after redemption at all. I think it might have something to do with me actually spending some Gold Points? Maybe if you spend some they get extended for another year

They always expire at the end of the month, but you get more points when you buy stuff from the eshop, which has another 12 months on them.
RandomUser4206/02/2020 15:42

They always expire at the end of the month, but you get more points when …They always expire at the end of the month, but you get more points when you buy stuff from the eshop, which has another 12 months on them.

I've had some Gold Points for well over a year and they haven't expired for some reason. I know you get more when you buy something new, but the ones I had before the new purchase just don't expire - which is definitely a good thing so I'm not complaining, but it's a bit odd
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants