Is my thermostat faulty? Please advise.

Posted 14th Jan
I have the following thermostat in my property.
I am not sure how they work.
From my research I have gathered the following:
A. Switch and leave ON the boiler at the programmer to operate the central heating
B. On the thermostat turn the dial from 0 to 19 to set the desired room temperature
C. To turn off the heating, turn the thermostat dial back to 0

Questions I have:
1. Are these the steps to take for operating central heating?
2. If so, is it safe to leave the boiler ON on the programmer
3. If I turn on the central heating at the programmer and thermostat is at 0, should be radiator in my home be hot?

Please advise and TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

41 Comments
Photo of my existing thermostat

39675535-ecycC.jpg
Can you get a mechanical click when you turn the knob?
Does your property keep getting hotter and hotter?
Essentially that's how it should work although if the temp in your house is say 18 degrees and you turn the thermostat to 14, heating should switch off until temperature drops below 14 which will then signal the boiler to start again. Is this not happening?
esar14/01/2020 17:54

Can you get a mechanical click when you turn the knob?Does your property …Can you get a mechanical click when you turn the knob?Does your property keep getting hotter and hotter?

No mechanical click
Yes gets hotter and hotter

esar14/01/2020 18:04

Go into the deals tab and press the red plus +

Where do I do that?

colinged14/01/2020 18:07

Essentially that's how it should work although if the temp in your house …Essentially that's how it should work although if the temp in your house is say 18 degrees and you turn the thermostat to 14, heating should switch off until temperature drops below 14 which will then signal the boiler to start again. Is this not happening?

That's not happening, just goes hotter and hotter.
The central heating temp is set to 71 on the boiler. After 10min we switch it off on the programmer.
rimalpatel00714/01/2020 18:16

No mechanical clickYes gets hotter and hotterWhere do I do that?That's not …No mechanical clickYes gets hotter and hotterWhere do I do that?That's not happening, just goes hotter and hotter. The central heating temp is set to 71 on the boiler. After 10min we switch it off on the programmer.

The contacts have worn away, get a new one, personally I'd get one with its own built in timer
esar14/01/2020 18:19

The contacts have worn away, get a new one, personally I'd get one with …The contacts have worn away, get a new one, personally I'd get one with its own built in timer

If I change the thermostat would the programmer need changing too?

How easy is to self install a thermostat?
To me it almost sounds like a zone valve is stuck. I had it before where turning on water heated the heaters and turned out a valve motor had broken and didn't direct the flow. I checked this by turning both hw and heating off and turning on one and check the valves (should see them turn). Difficult to diagnose but I would start by ignoring the thermostat and confirming all works independently from programmer
I installed a hive system myself but I only had a programmer so it was easy. I would probably recommend getting a British gas engineer hive install deal. Check compatibility community.hivehome.com/s/a…ler but I would ensure all is working correctly with your programmer/timer beforehand
And in the hive case your programmer would be removed
rimalpatel00714/01/2020 18:35

If I change the thermostat would the programmer need changing too?How easy …If I change the thermostat would the programmer need changing too?How easy is to self install a thermostat?

Easy especially if you buy the same model
Just sounds to me like your thermostat is not connected to the boiler, so your manually turning the heating on and off via programmer attached to boiler
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 14th Jan
Mark_Hickman14/01/2020 20:49

Just sounds to me like your thermostat is not connected to the boiler, so …Just sounds to me like your thermostat is not connected to the boiler, so your manually turning the heating on and off via programmer attached to boiler

Thats right.

Is worth opening the thermostat to check wiring is connected?
rimalpatel00714/01/2020 21:34

Thats right. Is worth opening the thermostat to check wiring is connected?

Well if you look, and check wiring colours, you should see the other end of wires attached to your programmer or boiler unless its a wireless thermostat which it doesn't look like one plus if its wireless you'd have a reciever by boiler
I was told not to turn to 0 as this can 'break' the thermostat. I guess it bit similar to never turning the steering wheel to its full lock?
No clicky, no worky
Also, any fuses tripped at breaker box?
esar15/01/2020 07:20

No clicky, no worky

Well I do hear a click as i turn the dial from 0. However even when at 0, and i switch the boiler on at the programmer it gets hotter and hotter
I am guessing valve or valve motor then. I would have everything cold, heat just water, confirm it heats water and rads do not get hot - if it does it is likely stuck valve or broken motor as mentioned before. If you really want to check thermostat and are confident checking wiring be aware this is dangerous and has potential for electric shock. You should get voltage on input terminal all time,.if you turn stat to max you should get voltage on output terminal also. I would be checking what I mentioned first, in my case this was happening and I traced it to the motor turning the valve (I removed motor and manually turned as a workaround and because I was unsure of plumbing I ended up opening up the motor and replacing the parts with a good one).
Also, the click should only happen when its activating the circuit, not every time it is turned.
The most important bit of information required to help still hasn't been asked.

What type of boiler is it: a combi, system or heat only.
colinged15/01/2020 09:59

Also, the click should only happen when its activating the circuit, not …Also, the click should only happen when its activating the circuit, not every time it is turned.

Nah mate, it's mechanical, it'll click near the ambient temperature weather connected to anything or not.
They do wear out, the one in my mum's oil filled radiator did the same thing, got a new one off of eBay
esar15/01/2020 11:00

Nah mate, it's mechanical, it'll click near the ambient temperature …Nah mate, it's mechanical, it'll click near the ambient temperature weather connected to anything or not.They do wear out, the one in my mum's oil filled radiator did the same thing, got a new one off of eBay

That's what I was meaning sorry... I was trying to clear up the fact that you weren't meaning it clicks throughout the scale!
colinged15/01/2020 11:10

That's what I was meaning sorry... I was trying to clear up the fact that … That's what I was meaning sorry... I was trying to clear up the fact that you weren't meaning it clicks throughout the scale!

If your feeling competent, disconnect the boiler mains power (mines old enough to have a fitted plug) and disconnect the thermostat, then turn it on, if it fired up you have a different problem
Edit: the hot water being called for should still activate the boiler
Edited by: "esar" 15th Jan
paulj4815/01/2020 10:41

The most important bit of information required to help still hasn't been …The most important bit of information required to help still hasn't been asked. What type of boiler is it: a combi, system or heat only.

Combi
esar15/01/2020 11:31

If your feeling competent, disconnect the boiler mains power (mines old …If your feeling competent, disconnect the boiler mains power (mines old enough to have a fitted plug) and disconnect the thermostat, then turn it on, if it fired up you have a different problemEdit: the hot water being called for should still activate the boiler

To disconnect the boiler is a wall switch beside the boiler - Easy!
Not sure how to open the thermostat. No screens or anything obvisous to take off front cover.

May just get a replacement from Amazon and get gas engineer to fit.
Edited by: "rimalpatel007" 15th Jan
rimalpatel00715/01/2020 12:42

Combi

In that case there's shouldnt be any external motorised valves that could have been faulty.

Does your boiler have any sort of preheat function or water store?
paulj4815/01/2020 12:50

In that case there's shouldnt be any external motorised valves that could …In that case there's shouldnt be any external motorised valves that could have been faulty. Does your boiler have any sort of preheat function or water store?

Not that I am aware of. Hot water comes on demand when using hot tap.
rimalpatel00715/01/2020 12:43

To disconnect the boiler is a wall switch beside the boiler - Easy!Not …To disconnect the boiler is a wall switch beside the boiler - Easy!Not sure how to open the thermostat. No screens or anything obvisous to take off front cover.May just get a replacement from Amazon and get gas engineer to fit.

Try pulling on the big knob, it might just be a friction fit, like the knobs on a cooker, and the screws underneath
rimalpatel00715/01/2020 12:51

Not that I am aware of. Hot water comes on demand when using hot tap.

some combi's have a 'preheat' or 'comfort' setting. A make and model of existing boiler would help
Edited by: "paulj48" 15th Jan
esar15/01/2020 12:56

Try pulling on the big knob, it might just be a friction fit, like the …Try pulling on the big knob, it might just be a friction fit, like the knobs on a cooker, and the screws underneath

39681849-MaCWK.jpg
I cant see no screws
rimalpatel00715/01/2020 13:28

[Image] I cant see no screws

There's a hole in the black bit right in the centre, try a wide flat blade to pop it off
Be careful with this...i would ensure power is off doing this. diynot.com/diy…77/
To me it looks like the bottom part is held in a pincer type and it looks like it would swing outwards from bottom then lifted up
Also without pulling it off the wall!
rimalpatel00715/01/2020 13:28

[Image] I cant see no screws

It's probably just clipped on so try a small slotted screwdriver to prise it off

Very easy to change generally

I can recommend this thermostat as you can set multiple on / off timers and temperatures

ebay.co.uk/itm…l1j
Edited by: "chocci" 15th Jan
chocci15/01/2020 14:32

It's probably just clipped on so try a small slotted screwdriver to prise …It's probably just clipped on so try a small slotted screwdriver to prise it offVery easy to change generally I can recommend this thermostat as you can set multiple on / off timers and temperatureshttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Salus-RT500-Digital-7-Day-Prog-Thermostat-NOT-compatible-with-RT500RF-receiver/122716268019?epid=23031191285&hash=item1c9275a5f3:g:l2wAAOSwaWhZwl1j

I was looking into one with time however worried it may not be compatible with the programmer/boiler
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants