Is New Android phones will be useless after 2 + years (after it can't update to the latest OS) as most apps support only the latest OS?!!

Found 9th Nov 2017
Hello, i am sure i didn't asked the question right!

At the moment i have ended up using a old android phone (Samsung) which is running android 4.2 (jelly bean), when i tried to install popular apps like HSBC,(even though their website says it will support android 2.2 above), ebay ,play store showed warning message my phone is not compatible!!

Is there a way we can install latest apps in old android phone? Without rooting?

(Or) Even if we spend 100 's of pounds in buying flagship phone ,it will be the same after 3+ years?

Correct me if i am wrong pls.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Xboxgamer32123 m ago

Just by a iPhone!

Xboxgamer32123 m ago

Just by a iPhone!

So a device that would have not got past JB would be 7 year old now. The iPhone 4 came out 2010 (4S was 2011), it only ever received upto iOS 7, also not supported by most banking apps as well. Most banking apps require iOS 9 and above.
16 Comments
Just by a iPhone!
New secuirty protocols for online banking apps and more or less anything that requires payments require 4.4 (KitKat) or above as the runtime environment of previous versions cannot handle the new protocols. Like anything techonolgy moves on and JB is now 5 years old, also most devices will have updated to 2+ versions afterwards,Lollipop. Devices still on JB as the max update would then be around 7 year old. Most apps will support four to five versions ago (remember for example Oreo isn't yet on many devices) unless has been a big advance which there has been in regards to security protocols also with the introduction of fingerprint,face,iris etc etc.
What is the device you are trying to run them on?
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th Nov 2017
Xboxgamer32123 m ago

Just by a iPhone!

Xboxgamer32123 m ago

Just by a iPhone!

So a device that would have not got past JB would be 7 year old now. The iPhone 4 came out 2010 (4S was 2011), it only ever received upto iOS 7, also not supported by most banking apps as well. Most banking apps require iOS 9 and above.
i find my samsung android phones slow down after 2 years and the battery needs charging more often. this is why i buy a new phone every 2 years as it also allows me to have a new technology to use
Try a custom ROM Samsung handsets are usually well catered for. I used Lineage OS for the Samsung S3 GT-I9300 which updated it to 7.0 (Nougat) There’s plenty of how to videos on YouTube as to how to installing it on your model of phone.
mutley113 m ago

i find my samsung android phones slow down after 2 years and the battery …i find my samsung android phones slow down after 2 years and the battery needs charging more often. this is why i buy a new phone every 2 years as it also allows me to have a new technology to use

Android doesn't handle OS updates the best, to be done right the users should be clearing down the system cache and performing a clean boot on the device each time, along with fresh installs of apps. Most users will never do this, with Android 6 in particular the OS added adoptive storage. Most users didn't ever really read what this was and adopted micro-sd cards as system memory. When you adopt the storage the device will take the max write/read rate of the lowest part, that being the cheap/fake sd card, people suddenly all reported the new OS was slowing down my device, what really was slowing it down was the cheap sd card (another reason why the likes of Apple/Google do not have removal memory options).

Android 7 brought in some quiet changes to the way updates are now handled, even greatly more enhanced in Oreo.

In regards to battery life well off course it will always degrade like anything with a battery will.
Original Poster
Xboxgamer32157 m ago

Just by a iPhone!

Here you go ..Apple fan boy,... (cheeky)... Die hard Android fan here
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts1 h, 43 m ago

New secuirty protocols for online banking apps and more or less anything …New secuirty protocols for online banking apps and more or less anything that requires payments require 4.4 (KitKat) or above as the runtime environment of previous versions cannot handle the new protocols. Like anything techonolgy moves on and JB is now 5 years old, also most devices will have updated to 2+ versions afterwards,Lollipop. Devices still on JB as the max update would then be around 7 year old. Most apps will support four to five versions ago (remember for example Oreo isn't yet on many devices) unless has been a big advance which there has been in regards to security protocols also with the introduction of fingerprint,face,iris etc etc. What is the device you are trying to run them on?

Great info, thank you- Samsung duo , My much loved Samsung is killed more or less buy Samsung itself! (when they rolled over marshmallow update- initially got in to the booting loop, later ended up in mother board issue because of this! (Just months over 2 year warranty!)
Original Poster
mutley11 h, 33 m ago

i find my samsung android phones slow down after 2 years and the battery …i find my samsung android phones slow down after 2 years and the battery needs charging more often. this is why i buy a new phone every 2 years as it also allows me to have a new technology to use

Just waiting for Black friday deal bro!
Original Poster
Sprograt1 h, 29 m ago

Try a custom ROM Samsung handsets are usually well catered for. I used …Try a custom ROM Samsung handsets are usually well catered for. I used Lineage OS for the Samsung S3 GT-I9300 which updated it to 7.0 (Nougat) There’s plenty of how to videos on YouTube as to how to installing it on your model of phone.

Thank you, will give a go.
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts1 h, 23 m ago

Android doesn't handle OS updates the best, to be done right the users …Android doesn't handle OS updates the best, to be done right the users should be clearing down the system cache and performing a clean boot on the device each time, along with fresh installs of apps. Most users will never do this, with Android 6 in particular the OS added adoptive storage. Most users didn't ever really read what this was and adopted micro-sd cards as system memory. When you adopt the storage the device will take the max write/read rate of the lowest part, that being the cheap/fake sd card, people suddenly all reported the new OS was slowing down my device, what really was slowing it down was the cheap sd card (another reason why the likes of Apple/Google do not have removal memory options). Android 7 brought in some quiet changes to the way updates are now handled, even greatly more enhanced in Oreo. In regards to battery life well off course it will always degrade like anything with a battery will.

Nice to know..great.
schwarzennegger12 m ago

Great info, thank you- Samsung duo , My much loved Samsung is killed more …Great info, thank you- Samsung duo , My much loved Samsung is killed more or less buy Samsung itself! (when they rolled over marshmallow update- initially got in to the booting loop, later ended up in mother board issue because of this! (Just months over 2 year warranty!)

Here you go. Down the Rabbit Hole. Root to install, use same tool to unroot and banking app should work. Article let's you see and choose which Rom you fancy.
Android 4.2 is 5+ years old. That's quite a long time for a phone/tablet OS and more than implied by "2+ years". My 4 year old phone which had come with 4.4 is now on 5.1.1 and should have another year or 2 without running into compatibility issues. So, no, you don't have to buy a new phone every 2-3 years.
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts2 h, 36 m ago

Here you go. Down the Rabbit Hole. Root to install, use same tool to …Here you go. Down the Rabbit Hole. Root to install, use same tool to unroot and banking app should work. Article let's you see and choose which Rom you fancy.

Thank you so much.Will give a try.
Xboxgamer32121 h, 1 m ago

Just by a iPhone!

Been there done that, then went back to Android when the Iphone started slowing down, now it comes up every five seconds asking me to sign in and then doesn't accept my password It's just a mp3 player for me now, and a pain in the backside one at that.

My current phone is still going strong, I think it's two years old now, battery lasts me one day 19 hours, although it drops a lot quicker from 20% now, and no sign of slowing down, so I'm keeping it!
Xboxgamer3219th Nov

Just by a iPhone!

"by" "a"
I know the latest iPhone's have problem with the letter I.
But I didn't know they had trouble with the letters U and N as well
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants