Is NVQ worth it?

Found 26th Nov 2011
Hi guys, is it worth it doing a NVQ qualification on top of a uni degree? and does NVQ tend to help in the longer run?

direct.gov.uk/en/…029

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

What subject and what career you looking to get into? My initial thoughts are that you'd be better off getting an entry level job and gaining experience rather than studying more, if you already have a degree.

NVQ = NotVeryQualified

I joke of course... I did a level 2 & 3 NVQ in IT when I was younger. It's not made the blindest bit of difference to how I work, I implement pretty much nothing of what I learned, but having them on my CV is probably helpful with regards to career progression. With your degree though, I don't think I'd bother.

Aim for level 4 at least

Without the details hard to say for sure for you personally.
However, if there is overlap between your degree and the NVQ then I would vote for experience over more study (at a lower level). But if your degree is say History and the NVQ is Accounts and you are aiming for accountancy then yes, it may be worth while if no jobs just now.

Original Poster

AberdeenDad

Without the details hard to say for sure for you personally.However, if … Without the details hard to say for sure for you personally.However, if there is overlap between your degree and the NVQ then I would vote for experience over more study (at a lower level). But if your degree is say History and the NVQ is Accounts and you are aiming for accountancy then yes, it may be worth while if no jobs just now.

Doing Economics for my degree, currently taking a year out working on placement before my final year - which means I do have some extra time. Was looking through, and NVQ Diploma Level 5/7 in Management is around £1600-1700. oO

I suppose it does help with the entry level job to a extent - though for what is seemingly a steep price, what I'm wondering is whether it really does offer any real term advantage - or whether it's one of those common sense courses.

Any input would be appreciated!

£1600 for an NVQ.........? IMO NVQ's are mostly common sense courses. I would expect to pay that price for more structured management / MBA type courses but not my area and probably wrong

Personally, you need experience after your degree.

Not going to be easy but

No. A university (if it's any good) ranks higher than an NVQ.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions