Groups
    EXPIRED

Is own name paint inferior to Branded paint ??

What the thoughts on this?

for example is B&Q own brand paint any different from Dulux ?? (apart from price).

22 Comments

i dont really like b and q paint i fnd it quite watery ive just painted my room using crown and it covered really well layland is another one i find good, im sure some will like the own brand stuff but i have never found b and q paint to be very good coverage

depends - only you can judge that really - i bought wilkinsons own make matt emulsion which was just as good as a dulux white emulsion - great coverage etc but then i thought the same would apply for the gloss and it was a disaster - i ended up removing it and re-doing with dulux gloss - so in my experience own make emulsion yes own make gloss no - can't be any more help than that!

Personally I think most b&q paint is a lot thinner. I'd rather buy named and get the job done in half the time, can end up being cheaper too as less coats are required!

i used to do a lot of decorating/painting and always used good old woolies paint...now use paint from b&m nice and cheap and guess what ..it does what it says on the tin!

babybutton;5211533

depends - only you can judge that really - i bought wilkinsons own make … depends - only you can judge that really - i bought wilkinsons own make matt emulsion which was just as good as a dulux white emulsion - great coverage etc but then i thought the same would apply for the gloss and it was a disaster - i ended up removing it and re-doing with dulux gloss - so in my experience own make emulsion yes own make gloss no - can't be any more help than that!

I agree totally here, I wouldnt rate wilko's gloss but use their emulsion :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I was not thinking so much about "coverage" more about "durability "

Just painted our living room with Dulux once and it didnt do a good job. Some walls definately took more than one coat. £50 in paint, and i wasnt too pleased. But i think it was more the way we were putting it on.

just had a room plastered and got some dulux paint that cost a small fortune, my question is should i paint it with some cheap paint first and then use the good stuff?, cus i am sure some one said new plaster soaks a lot of paint up..

We always go to the Dulux or Crown Trade Centre's. The paint is thicker so go on really well and needs less coats.

If you want something you can wipe down, go for a Silk emulsion.

I can also vouch for Wicks emulsion paint having just finished 7 rooms, and hall stairs and landing !!

ukmonkey;5211961

just had a room plastered and got some dulux paint that cost a small … just had a room plastered and got some dulux paint that cost a small fortune, my question is should i paint it with some cheap paint first and then use the good stuff?, cus i am sure some one said new plaster soaks a lot of paint up..

We tried Paint for New Plaster from Wicks, it was rubbish. Paid a bit more from the Trade centre (Dulux or Crown) and it went on like a dream. :thumbsup:

New plaster soaks up LOADS of paint !!!!

i had a full house flood in august my whole was ruined, after replacing everything it was time to decorate, i bought all my paint and gloss from b and q all their own make. they do have a huge range of colours and pretty cheap too. they coverd my walls pretty good i must admit, (as you can imagine after my flood my walls were coverd in crap - not all of it came off) but the emulsion did cover it all. the emulsion i have no complaints about, its easily wiped down too of childrens dirty hand prints. but the gloss is pants! it was meant to be pure white but more like off yellow.

ukmonkey;5211961

just had a room plastered and got some dulux paint that cost a small … just had a room plastered and got some dulux paint that cost a small fortune, my question is should i paint it with some cheap paint first and then use the good stuff?, cus i am sure some one said new plaster soaks a lot of paint up..

my hubbys a decorator and always advises new plaster should be sealed as it will draw your paint in and then you will have to use more, seal the wall first

ukmonkey;5211961

yeah i can vouch for that i had all new ceilings up and the emulsion took about 5 coats before it started to cover.but bearing in mind the stupid workman put up my new ceilings when the joists were still soaked!!

alfie and harrys mum;5212004

my hubbys a decorator and always advises new plaster should be sealed as … my hubbys a decorator and always advises new plaster should be sealed as it will draw your paint in and then you will have to use more, seal the wall first

But we were told that sealing it prevents it from fully drying out, as the moisture in the plaster cannot escape!!!

We were advised to use Matt base coat after 6 weeks, and then emulsion on top when fully dry :?

ukmonkey;5211961

we have had the whole house done and were finished now thankgod !! haha but what our plaster said do was go over all the walls with a rough sweeping brush to rough them up so the paint sticks make sure its dryed out properly 1st tho, then we bought a 15ltr ?? maybe 10ltr dulux or crown i cant think wich one it was it was about £12 from b&q and we went over it with this, it does soak in loads and might need a couple of coats but the better you get the undercoat the easier your top colours will be to do

my hubbys a decorator and always advises new plaster should be sealed as … my hubbys a decorator and always advises new plaster should be sealed as it will draw your paint in and then you will have to use more, seal the wall first

oh thanks that is a good idea we have some uni bond left from when we got them plastered, rep coming you way bright spark..
    and thanks SABJ as well..

we were advised against sealing it as well, the plasterer rubbed stuff on himself when it was wet not sure what that was but he just said roughing up with a brush was best to do some walls have been done over a yr and weve had no probs :thumbsup:

Don't SEAL it, the plaster will never dry out if you seal the moisture in !!!

KazzyD;5212051

But we were told that sealing it prevents it from fully drying out, as … But we were told that sealing it prevents it from fully drying out, as the moisture in the plaster cannot escape!!! We were advised to use Matt base coat after 6 weeks, and then emulsion on top when fully dry :?

yeah good tip, will let them dry a while longer before sealing them..

obviously the plaster has got to be dried out who in their right mind would seal damp walls?? c'mon guys

btw hubbys been in the trade since school and he now 42, never had a day off and is well known in our area and doesnt advertise either so he must know what hes talking about!!

alfie and harrys mum;5212290

obviously the plaster has got to be dried out who in their right mind … obviously the plaster has got to be dried out who in their right mind would seal damp walls?? c'mon guysbtw hubbys been in the trade since school and he now 42, never had a day off and is well known in our area and doesnt advertise either so he must know what hes talking about!!

Your husband is spot on the walls should be sealed with pva and paint mixed together and let it down a bit with water to give it what they call a mis-coat and then fill any imperfections.

Wilco stuff is good and so is Wickes Master. Wickes trade (the giant tubs) is good as well but the colour range is somewhat limited.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?88
    2. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831126
    3. *Heads Up* Free Wrestling on Sunday 10pm YouTube, Facebook and WWE.com. Sum…11
    4. How dangerous is Donald trump?27127

See more discussions