Is planning permission required to convert attached garage into double story extension?

Posted 24th Dec 2019
We bought a detached house that has a single car garage attached to the building which is of no use to us. We want to convert that into double storey extention as living space, primarily bedrooms with ensuites and maybe in the future throw a small kitchen unit to make a studio flat should required.

is there planning permission required for this, how much is it likely to cost and how long can it take roughly?

We've not got the keys yet but will soon take builders around as well and also check on the estimated time and cost.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
I could be wrong here but the foundation’s may not be suitable to have another storey fitted and would guess you would need building/planning permission. You could check on the building portal planning portal
I would say yes takes 4 to 6 weeks,Then after planing permission is granted or not you need to get it passed building regulations 2/3 weeks
Planning Permission starts around £250 going up
But getting the plans drawn is the expensive bit architects are not cheap but can help a lot telling you what you can and can’t do in that area depending on where you live ? I’m no expert but you can go on the government website planning portal
Double storey ext? i would say definately you'll need planning permission.
englands2824/12/2019 08:46

I could be wrong here but the foundation’s may not be suitable to have a …I could be wrong here but the foundation’s may not be suitable to have another storey fitted and would guess you would need building/planning permission. You could check on the building portal planning portal

I think you are correct,the foundations will probably not be sufficient.you will have to expose them with trial pits and a structural engineer will have to ok them, if you want to build a second storey.
If it a two storey extension you would require planning permission and a structural survey from a builder
I recently converted my garage into living space. The garage was attached to the house so was considered part of the building by the council. They informed me that I didn't need planning permission for the work, but the builder suggested I get the council involved to inspect the foundation and the work at several stages. It cost me £370, but at least I have paperwork to prove that the work was done to standards. Mine was only single storey, so I suspect you'll definitely need planning permission and inspections.
How will you fit 'bedrooms with ensuites and maybe in the future throw a small kitchen' within the size of a single garage (plus the same above)?
chocci24/12/2019 10:38

How will you fit 'bedrooms with ensuites and maybe in the future throw a …How will you fit 'bedrooms with ensuites and maybe in the future throw a small kitchen' within the size of a single garage (plus the same above)?

You not seen the size of modern "apartments"? if it was central London this would be almost palatial in size.
Predikuesi24/12/2019 09:41

I recently converted my garage into living space. The garage was attached …I recently converted my garage into living space. The garage was attached to the house so was considered part of the building by the council. They informed me that I didn't need planning permission for the work, but the builder suggested I get the council involved to inspect the foundation and the work at several stages. It cost me £370, but at least I have paperwork to prove that the work was done to standards. Mine was only single storey, so I suspect you'll definitely need planning permission and inspections.

best way. SS ext within a certain height are permitted without planning but always best to get planning office involved so everything being done is according to regs.
double storey will need planning. I know a few people who have a done a ss ext but the foundations etc were done as if they were building a double storey, so easier in the future to build up knowing foundations etc were sorted.
chocci24/12/2019 10:38

How will you fit 'bedrooms with ensuites and maybe in the future throw a …How will you fit 'bedrooms with ensuites and maybe in the future throw a small kitchen' within the size of a single garage (plus the same above)?

The space is about about 8 by 3 meters, I think that'll be sufficient but I am not a expert so will obviously consult with builders and architects!
1850maggie24/12/2019 09:12

I think you are correct,the foundations will probably not be …I think you are correct,the foundations will probably not be sufficient.you will have to expose them with trial pits and a structural engineer will have to ok them, if you want to build a second storey.

We will be demolishing the existing garage and builsing from sratch.
We had a quote from our regular builder to extend over the top of an existing single garage to create a master suite (large bedroom, bathroom and dressing room), he said all in would cost £18k but that is to keep the existing garage and build upwards. Apparently would need planning but precedent has already been set with neighbouring properties. Hope that helps?
Planning fees are around £250 for a double storey side extension looking on Google. You need a architect first, don't always go the cheapest I have come across several in the last 10 years. Try and find one that is confident in what they do as the council can be awkward at times and you need a good architect that can argue the case. Others will just lose hope and look for a exit strategy.
Once you have a good architect expect to pay around £500 to £1000 to have the plans drawn up. You need to make sure it's the plans for the planning permission followed by full building regulations drawings as some architect will hit you with this cost after the planning. Ask them if it includes all the structural calculations cost if not ask them how much extra.
If you are successful with the planning on the first go with will take around 3 months from start to finish. Councils have to respond with a decision within 8 weeks and architect will take a couple of weeks before submitting plans if not longer.
Then you will need to apply for building regulations there will be 2 fees here. A submission fee to inspect the plans followed by a site visit fee. Expect this to be around £800 in total if more. Once all that is in order you will be ready to build. The council building regs will take 4 - 6 weeks from experience to move ahead. You can start beforehand but if there's is something they don't like you will have to change it again.
Is there any trees near the garage. Any large trees and hedges will alter any foundation plans so ask your architect about this at a early stage. Good luck 🤞🙈
You definitely need planning permission. And, you better speak to your neighbours first before doing whatever you feel like. If they have valid objections, they can complain to the council or take you to court.
Just out of interest how far is the neighbours boundary from the proposed extension. With Permitted development you can extend half the width of the original house on either side. So if it's 10m wide you can go 5m to the left and 5m to the right on a single storey. On the rear it's different for different types of house on a single storey extension. But it's 8m out the rear as a single storey as long as the neighbours don't object. If they do it brings it back into 6m I think. And you can build 3m out on a double storey out from the original house on the rear. All this is allowed through permitted development as im in the process of doing it all for a customer. But there is conditions to how far you are from the boundary and you can't cover more then 50 % of the land. He has 1 acre so is good there. Plus he got 2 outbuildings on there. 1 was 10m X 12m and the other 6m X 10m. All this through permitted development. Which is not planning permission but just a lawful consent certificate from the council to say it all within the government criteria. They wouldn't allow him 6m out on the rear through planning permission so did all this through permitted development on greenbelt land .
Link
Link 2 May help others on here 2 in the future

The council won't really help you with PD as they don't make any money from it. But as long as your within the allowance you are good. You just need a good architect.

Also another piece of advice I can give you is if you think there maybe issues with the neighbours is to build the single storey through PD ( permitted development) and once it's built apply for the 2nd storey on the future as you will stand a better chance of getting it.

Good luck
Edited by: "kash2013" 25th Dec 2019
kash201325/12/2019 03:56

Just out of interest how far is the neighbours boundary from the proposed …Just out of interest how far is the neighbours boundary from the proposed extension. With Permitted development you can extend half the width of the original house on either side. So if it's 10m wide you can go 5m to the left and 5m to the right on a single storey. On the rear it's different for different types of house on a single storey extension. But it's 8m out the rear as a single storey as long as the neighbours don't object. If they do it brings it back into 6m I think. And you can build 3m out on a double storey out from the original house on the rear. All this is allowed through permitted development as im in the process of doing it all for a customer. But there is conditions to how far you are from the boundary and you can't cover more then 50 % of the land. He has 1 acre so is good there. Plus he got 2 outbuildings on there. 1 was 10m X 12m and the other 6m X 10m. All this through permitted development. Which is not planning permission but just a lawful consent certificate from the council to say it all within the government criteria. They wouldn't allow him 6m out on the rear through planning permission so did all this through permitted development on greenbelt land .LinkLink 2 May help others on here 2 in the futureThe council won't really help you with PD as they don't make any money from it. But as long as your within the allowance you are good. You just need a good architect.Also another piece of advice I can give you is if you think there maybe issues with the neighbours is to build the single storey through PD ( permitted development) and once it's built apply for the 2nd storey on the future as you will stand a better chance of getting it. Good luck

Thanks,

It's a detachded property but both neighbours are within 1m of thr property. The garden is fairly large so there is no chance we will be covering even up to 50% of the land with side (in the future, back and outbuilding) extention.

Is it more effecient to have both storey built at once?
kash201325/12/2019 01:13

Planning fees are around £250 for a double storey side extension looking …Planning fees are around £250 for a double storey side extension looking on Google. You need a architect first, don't always go the cheapest I have come across several in the last 10 years. Try and find one that is confident in what they do as the council can be awkward at times and you need a good architect that can argue the case. Others will just lose hope and look for a exit strategy. Once you have a good architect expect to pay around £500 to £1000 to have the plans drawn up. You need to make sure it's the plans for the planning permission followed by full building regulations drawings as some architect will hit you with this cost after the planning. Ask them if it includes all the structural calculations cost if not ask them how much extra. If you are successful with the planning on the first go with will take around 3 months from start to finish. Councils have to respond with a decision within 8 weeks and architect will take a couple of weeks before submitting plans if not longer. Then you will need to apply for building regulations there will be 2 fees here. A submission fee to inspect the plans followed by a site visit fee. Expect this to be around £800 in total if more. Once all that is in order you will be ready to build. The council building regs will take 4 - 6 weeks from experience to move ahead. You can start beforehand but if there's is something they don't like you will have to change it again. Is there any trees near the garage. Any large trees and hedges will alter any foundation plans so ask your architect about this at a early stage. Good luck 🤞🙈

Thanks, sounds like a lenghty process.
Buy a house that has already been extended!
JimboParrot25/12/2019 07:02

Buy a house that has already been extended!

Would love to - just need someone to pay for it
Adam_Khan1Tc25/12/2019 07:03

Would love to - just need someone to pay for it

You've still got to pay for an extension!
JimboParrot25/12/2019 07:16

You've still got to pay for an extension!

Hoping not as much as a prebuilt one and with all the extentions we want, we'll probably do it it over a period of time to bare the cost!
Adam_Khan1Tc25/12/2019 06:53

Thanks,It's a detachded property but both neighbours are within 1m of thr …Thanks,It's a detachded property but both neighbours are within 1m of thr property. The garden is fairly large so there is no chance we will be covering even up to 50% of the land with side (in the future, back and outbuilding) extention.Is it more effecient to have both storey built at once?

If they have windows on the garage side, then your neighbours will no doubt object on the grounds of blocking light
I think you are mistaken in what I meant Adam. It's not about how far your neighbors are from the boundary but more on the house has to be a certain distance from the boundary and the extension has to be at least 1m from the neighbours boundary.
Every person objects to blocking of light I have noticed. But like I said get a good, confident and knowledgeable architect early and they will tell you everything. Don't just go for the cheapest or the 1st one that comes along. Get as many out as possible and interview them
kash201327/12/2019 14:02

I think you are mistaken in what I meant Adam. It's not about how far your …I think you are mistaken in what I meant Adam. It's not about how far your neighbors are from the boundary but more on the house has to be a certain distance from the boundary and the extension has to be at least 1m from the neighbours boundary. Every person objects to blocking of light I have noticed. But like I said get a good, confident and knowledgeable architect early and they will tell you everything. Don't just go for the cheapest or the 1st one that comes along. Get as many out as possible and interview them

I see, will defintely need to consult a good architect
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants