Is it possible to create my own 5ghz hotspot?

Posted 11th Jan
hi, where i live the current router automatically switches between the 2.4 and 5hz, causing my Oculus Quest to disconnect, as it uses the 5ghz band.... I live in shared accommodation so I can't access or mess around with the router settings so i cant seperate the bands.. ... if I buy a Wi-Fi extender for my room can I create my own 5ghz hotspot without going into the router settings? any help please..
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Are you allowed to connect an Ethernet cable into the shared router? If you could you could just buy an access point and then create your own wireless network from that. I wouldn’t recommend using a repeater as the oculus would probably have even more issues
Edited by: "mds1256" 11th Jan
Yes, but probably dependant on what you buy and how configurable it is. If you have access to a spare ISP router with with 5Ghz capability as well as access to one of the ports to the existing router, you can plug in and configure the secondary router as a hotspot. I have not bought a router for years and have built a network via powerline plugs and 3 isp routers talking to each other. There are examples on the internet how to do this.
mds125611/01/2020 21:18

Are you allowed to connect an Ethernet cable into the shared router? If …Are you allowed to connect an Ethernet cable into the shared router? If you could you could just buy an access point and then create your own wireless network from that. I wouldn’t recommend using a repeater and the oculus would probably have even more issues

Hi, thanks for reply, na i cant put any cables into the router, my landlord wouldn't even let me plug in a powerline adaptor for my TV , think I'm kinda stuck with not using the Quest for multiplayer stuff,
kndusr1911/01/2020 21:22

Yes, but probably dependant on what you buy and how configurable it is. If …Yes, but probably dependant on what you buy and how configurable it is. If you have access to a spare ISP router with with 5Ghz capability as well as access to one of the ports to the existing router, you can plug in and configure the secondary router as a hotspot. I have not bought a router for years and have built a network via powerline plugs and 3 isp routers talking to each other. There are examples on the internet how to do this.

Thanks, I can't plug anything into the router on landlords say so... I havnt got to much know how when it comes to router/internet stuff. Was looking for a simple plug in solution, but I think it's not going to be possible..
What do you mean by the router 'switches between bands'?

An access point like a range extender communicates with devices on it's own so there's a good chance it wouldn't be affected by whatever behaviour on the router is causing you trouble even when set as part of the same network.
malnuman11/01/2020 21:32

Thanks, I can't plug anything into the router on landlords say so... I …Thanks, I can't plug anything into the router on landlords say so... I havnt got to much know how when it comes to router/internet stuff. Was looking for a simple plug in solution, but I think it's not going to be possible..

Completely possible to buy and configure a device that will use the 2.4GHz wifi to broadcast a separate 5GHz wifi network, but not convinced that will solve whatever issue you believe you have.
EndlessWaves11/01/2020 21:59

What do you mean by the router 'switches between bands'?An access point …What do you mean by the router 'switches between bands'?An access point like a range extender communicates with devices on it's own so there's a good chance it wouldn't be affected by whatever behaviour on the router is causing you trouble even when set as part of the same network.

The router automatically switches between the 2.4 and 5ghz, they arnt on separate ssid.... The Oculus Quest has a well known issue that disconnects from the network when the router switches between bands..
AndyRoyd11/01/2020 22:10

Completely possible to buy and configure a device that will use the 2.4GHz …Completely possible to buy and configure a device that will use the 2.4GHz wifi to broadcast a separate 5GHz wifi network, but not convinced that will solve whatever issue you believe you have.

Yeah, on the Reddit Quest forum the disconnecting issue is solved when the Quest is just connected to just a 5ghz signal.. it's the switching between bands that causes it to loose connection..
On a side not about power line adapters, if you have a desktop or laptop you can use them. Connect to WiFi, plug ethernet into pc, bridge connection in network. Plug next power line into TV just as a side not if you hadn't sorted TV. I know my old TV only used ethernet not WiFi lol.
silvershark01012/01/2020 07:57

On a side not about power line adapters, if you have a desktop or laptop …On a side not about power line adapters, if you have a desktop or laptop you can use them. Connect to WiFi, plug ethernet into pc, bridge connection in network. Plug next power line into TV just as a side not if you hadn't sorted TV. I know my old TV only used ethernet not WiFi lol.

Thanks, I didn't know, and actually it's seems a great solution, my TV has Wi-Fi, but I'm in a back room so Netflix, iPlayer etc buffers every now and then..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants