Expired

Is Rocksalt any good as a heavy duty weed killer?

Found 20th Mar 2014
Hi All,

Been told that Rocksalt can be used a a strong weedkiller.
I've done a google search and seen some people have used it, just wondered if anyone has tried it and does it kill the area and stop it growing back?
Community Updates
8 Comments
expensive though, no?
doesn't salt kill everything plant based??? ok if not being used on grass
Sea salt destroys crops near the sea and takes along time before anything can grow, so i gess so.
Nothing grows near coffee plants and copper is good too.
Yes, it works, its good for areas where you want nothing at all to grow.
I use it on a gravel drive and along the edges of a tarmac path. The weeds go brown and die within a day or two, and they don't start to grow back for a long time, usually 6 - 9 months, so it must stay in the ground and keep working. I've also used table salt and water softener salt, whichever I can get cheapest.
The weeds die faster if they are wetted first so that the salt sticks to them, and it helps if its a warm day.
Its fine on tarmac but don't use salt on concrete (or anything cement based) - it will attack it and eventually cause it to crumble and break up.
Delbert Grady

Yes, it works, its good for areas where you want nothing at all to grow.I … Yes, it works, its good for areas where you want nothing at all to grow.I use it on a gravel drive and along the edges of a tarmac path. The weeds go brown and die within a day or two, and they don't start to grow back for a long time, usually 6 - 9 months, so it must stay in the ground and keep working. I've also used table salt and water softener salt, whichever I can get cheapest.The weeds die faster if they are wetted first so that the salt sticks to them, and it helps if its a warm day.Its fine on tarmac but don't use salt on concrete (or anything cement based) - it will attack it and eventually cause it to crumble and break up.

or just dilute it and stick it in an empty spray bottle

thats how I do it with sodium chlorate
chocci

or just dilute it and stick it in an empty spray bottlethats how I do it … or just dilute it and stick it in an empty spray bottlethats how I do it with sodium chlorate

Can you still get Sodium Chlorate then? Last time I tried to buy some I was told that the EU had banned it (like they do everything else thats any good).
Delbert Grady

Can you still get Sodium Chlorate then? Last time I tried to buy some I … Can you still get Sodium Chlorate then? Last time I tried to buy some I was told that the EU had banned it (like they do everything else thats any good).

it is banned but i bought 10kg before the ban kicked in
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants