Groups

is running a heating themostat expensive over turning on and off manually?

My heating works, rads work, rads have individual themostats, but there and a wireless 'whole house' thermostat in the hall which has never worked from new, it may just be a case of getting the instructions out and watching a few youtube videos to fix it I am not sure. But we usually just have the heating on the winter twice a day morining and night as often out at work. This is either turned on manually and via the 24 hour 7 day planner on the system.

But my question is... when you set the thermostat for the house the keep the house at a certain temp and maintain it and therefore throughout the day the boiler ( I have oil) is kicking in constantly, is this inefficient and costly over putting the heating on twice a day?

Have people tried both ways and noticed a difference in cost to run?

11 Comments

I tried it both ways and worked out far cheaper to just have on in the morning (4am-8am) and evening (4pm-8pm) than on 24/7. Obviously not good for any pets as the house will get quite cool by mid afternoon.

uswitch.com/ene…me/

Edited by: "chocci" 26th Sep 2016

chocci

I tried it both ways and worked out far cheaper to just have on in the … I tried it both ways and worked out far cheaper to just have on in the morning (4am-8am) and evening (4pm-8pm) than on 24/7. Obviously not good for any pets as the house will get quite cool by mid afternoon.https://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving/guides/heating-on-all-the-time/

​ I think most British pets will cope, first time I had ch house was in the 90s and I survived.

Original Poster

chocci

I tried it both ways and worked out far cheaper to just have on in the … I tried it both ways and worked out far cheaper to just have on in the morning (4am-8am) and evening (4pm-8pm) than on 24/7. Obviously not good for any pets as the house will get quite cool by mid afternoon.https://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving/guides/heating-on-all-the-time/

Interesting link there, I would like to test the differene but Its very hard with oil

It really would depend on how warm you have the house. If you leave it on then you need to optimise all those rads making sure things like bedrooms are not as warm as the living room, all you need there is minimum to keep the draft down. Also consider natural preterite also has an effect, lower the outside temp the longer your heater works to keep the inside at the temp you set. So from that I would say manual is best, we use manual but then we don't have heating in the bedrooms at all.

Not the answer, but..... Does your wireless thermostat need to be re paired with the unit by the boiler?

It might be a simple thing to get the thermostat working again.

We have a similar set up to you.

Tbh we just switch on and off as we think it is getting cold.

shadey12

​ I think most British pets will cope, first time I had ch house was in t … ​ I think most British pets will cope, first time I had ch house was in the 90s and I survived.

How posh are you!!! We didn't have a ch house until the 00's.

badgerrules

How posh are you!!! We didn't have a ch house until the 00's.

​didnt say I'd had it since then just had for a brief spell.

my combi gas boiler will fire up for 30 seconds or so to keep water for taps instant. if set to eco no firing up unless hot water tap is run for 20 seconds or so. I have my thermostat set to 18° on a timer so if between 5.30 am and 7.30 am the temperature is under 18° the heating kicks in. same between 6pm and 8pm. 4 bedroom thermos are set to 2 or 1 on a dial. main rad in hall on full/6. 3 towel rails on 3. 3 downstairs rads on 1. £35 per month including cooking by gas.

got a combi boiler, and all rads in the house are set to 5 on the individual thermostats. just switch on heating when needed but when very cold in winter, just have it on for a hour before everyone wakes up.

apart from that, it gets switched on in the day as and when required.

999kernow

my combi gas boiler will fire up for 30 seconds or so to keep water for … my combi gas boiler will fire up for 30 seconds or so to keep water for taps instant. if set to eco no firing up unless hot water tap is run for 20 seconds or so. I have my thermostat set to 18° on a timer so if between 5.30 am and 7.30 am the temperature is under 18° the heating kicks in. same between 6pm and 8pm. 4 bedroom thermos are set to 2 or 1 on a dial. main rad in hall on full/6. 3 towel rails on 3. 3 downstairs rads on 1. £35 per month including cooking by gas.

Bloody hell, how thick is your coat??

Hallsie

Bloody hell, how thick is your coat??

​Cornwall is mild, new house with good insulation.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. sky q is it a good deal?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc37
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions