Is Sky Broadband better than BT?

19 replies
Found 1st Jan 2010
Hey Guys and Gals, Happy New Year!

Basicaly my Broadband contract with BT is up at the beginning of Feb. Just wondering wthether Sky broadband is better than Bt overall.

Any help would be appreciated

19 Comments

I had sky broadband for over 3 years i hated it. It use to always lose connection and especially when your on the xbox you would get alot of Lag. I switched to O2 broadband and so far had no problems.
Edited by: "Hash112" 1st Jan 2010

I think you still have a loose connection

Go to o2

You need to find out if Sky LLU is available at your exchange before anybody can answer your question.

If Sky LLU is on your exchange you should be ok, if not... avoid connect..

Im with TALK TALK now (came from Sky) and TT seems so much better for online game play and peak time throttling

unless you go onto cable as opposed to phone line your speed / connection will be much the same, ( but you will always get those who say i switched to XX and ect )
like driving a different car on the motorway

its a matter of preference and price if your lucky enough to be one that has a perfect connection (or clear road) then its ok
a lot is dependant on your exchange and distance from it and the state of your line itself
Edited by: "highland2010" 1st Jan 2010

Original Poster

o2 hmmmmmm. So o2 is pretty good then?

Original Poster

highland2010

unless you go onto cable as opposed to phone line your speed / connection … unless you go onto cable as opposed to phone line your speed / connection will be much the same, ( but you will always get those who say i switched to XX and ect )like driving a different car on the motorway its a matter of preference and price if your lucky enough to be one that has a perfect connection (or clear road) then its oka lot is dependant on your exchange and distance from it and the state of your line itself

Well we live in Filey, North Yorkshire. We have only just got running water so I doubt we can get Cable :-/

02 or Be are said to be best, If you can get either of those I'd go with them, I'm a current Sky broadband customer and have been on BT Broadband. Sky are better than BT, Not much better but more consistent speed on my poor quality line.

Moved to SKY from BT. love it! Went from 1.5mb/s to 5 mb/s. Never had a service issue in the 18minths I've been with them.

highland2010

unless you go onto cable as opposed to phone line your speed / connection … unless you go onto cable as opposed to phone line your speed / connection will be much the same, ( but you will always get those who say i switched to XX and ect )like driving a different car on the motorway its a matter of preference and price if your lucky enough to be one that has a perfect connection (or clear road) then its oka lot is dependant on your exchange and distance from it and the state of your line itself

I disagree, you could have a connection with incredible line stats and fully capable of 8 meg via ADSL and say 20 meg ADSL2+ but depending on supplier one could give you the full 20 meg via ADSL2+ and another could give you a unsteady connection so one minute it could be 8 meg another 12 meg and rarely the full 20 meg so its not just about line stats.

You could have perfect line stats and still struggle to achive any good connection as many isps are overloaded even on their own equipment..

OP, O2 has been getting worse reviews recently due to capping the allowance this is for the LLU service and the regular one has always had a bad rep as it is done by BT equipment.

if on regular ADSL I would recommend to pay something more and get a good brand isp.

OP looking at samknows.com sky broadband is not available to you as an LLU package. Meaning that the connect product (which is BT wholesale broadband re branded). Talk Talk is the only provider offering full LLU services.

Why are you considering changing, price, speed or line problems?

we're on BT (no probs just to expensive) but looking to change sometime this year, was thinking about o2.

aunty jane

we're on BT (no probs just to expensive) but looking to change sometime … we're on BT (no probs just to expensive) but looking to change sometime this year, was thinking about o2.

I phoned to cancel and they matched the offer I was going to...
it's worth calling as soon as you're out of contract

I moved from Orange to Sky because my internet kept cutting out and had to set up the wi-fi again every time it happened, and it was really slow. Since joining Sky it's not cut out once. Still slow mind you.

i get 40mbs with bt and never had a problem.

Scouser78

I moved from Orange to Sky because my internet kept cutting out and had … I moved from Orange to Sky because my internet kept cutting out and had to set up the wi-fi again every time it happened, and it was really slow. Since joining Sky it's not cut out once. Still slow mind you.

worth giving your speed a test try this its the BBC one for iplayer, when i ran this when i was having speed peoblems it matched what the BT guy was getting on theirs, still indicative but a good ball park figure

bbc.co.uk/ipl…ics
Edited by: "highland2010" 1st Jan 2010

Watch out for o2 they are going be bringing in a fair bit of traffic management to new customers. Won't affect existing customers.

I'm sticking with BT as they are soon going to give me fiber to the cab.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21132
    2. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games11
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247657
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 191 ***1328

See more discussions