Expired

Is surge protection necessary for extension leads?

Found 9th Sep 2014
Hi, so are they necessary in the UK, or is it just a marketing gimmick?
Community Updates
11 Comments
I was thinking of getting this one, hence why I'm asking...

hotukdeals.com/dea…175
Not 100% sure as mains spikes are less common now and psu's are better but I wouldn't risk it for a few pounds.
The short answer is no, not in general.

There are some reasons to have surge protection, if you are using it to supply power to something critical like a server that is always on , or a NAS that hold data you are keen not to lose. However in this case I'd be using a UPS ! I look after installations with thousands of electronic units installed in areas where mains can be poor and we almost never lose a unit due to lightning strikes or surges due to trees hitting lines etc. I personally wouldn't spend a fortune on one, especially if I lived in an urban area. Another factor is that a cheap unit may not do much protecting and may even cause a fire etc if it fails, this is unlikely but a potential surge is controlled by the unit absorbing the energy in some way, if it's poorly designed it's anyone's guess where that energy could go !
Never had a surge (that I know of !) but better safe than sorry for the little extra they cost .
You normally get them after a blackout. We get a lot where we live, the surge protector should prevent damage to the psu. Psu's tend not to fail straight away but degrade, most good pc supplies have loads of protection, cheaper imports tend to smoke your system.
Only had a brown out once, nettop and TV worked but amp didn't so I started stripping it until I spotted other halfs Led clock segments were off.
For a lamp and a clock, don't bother. For an expensive bit of hardware might as well for the few pounds extra.
Thanks everyone.
I know this is old, but I saw it and now I can't un-see it :P

One of the main benefits of surge protectors along time ago, is they used to come with a warranty, usually £1000. So if whatever you had plugged into the surge protector blew up, the manufacturer would compensate you up to the value of the warranty. No companies seem to do this these days.

I haven't had anything plugged into the mains blow up yet. I have had a modem blow up that was plugged into the phone socket. So when possible I prefer to plug in routers etc via a surge protector with a phone connector. You really do need a decently quality one then, otherwise your broadband suffers. I have a feeling this may not apply to you though!

There is so little difference in price between surge protected and non-urge protected extension leads these days, usually only a couple of pounds, I try to buy surge protected when I can. Even if the benefit isn't as great as it used to be.
moneysavingkitten

I know this is old, but I saw it and now I can't un-see it :POne of the … I know this is old, but I saw it and now I can't un-see it :POne of the main benefits of surge protectors along time ago, is they used to come with a warranty, usually £1000. So if whatever you had plugged into the surge protector blew up, the manufacturer would compensate you up to the value of the warranty. No companies seem to do this these days.I haven't had anything plugged into the mains blow up yet. I have had a modem blow up that was plugged into the phone socket. So when possible I prefer to plug in routers etc via a surge protector with a phone connector. You really do need a decently quality one then, otherwise your broadband suffers. I have a feeling this may not apply to you though!There is so little difference in price between surge protected and non-urge protected extension leads these days, usually only a couple of pounds, I try to buy surge protected when I can. Even if the benefit isn't as great as it used to be.

I've done more research into this topic since, and have read some good/interesting arguments against cheap surge extension leads, e.g.

1. Nobody ever worries about plugging their items directly into their mains, so why would an extension lead need it?
2. Cheap surge extension leads don't usually work, they don't have the components to absorb such a large surge.
3. They could pose a fire risk if the surge is not absorbed properly. (Not sure on this one, it was written ITT though)

So on that basis, I don't think I would buy a cheap surge extension lead now (e.g. from CPC). However, if a cheap Masterplug extension lead was on offer or something, then I would probably get one.

Anyway thanks MSK, and by the way, they do still do warranties. Like this one.
Hmmm I have worried about plugging things directly into the mains. I do have a surge protected, not extended, single plug for my laptop. Perhaps I am just weird

I didn't know there was a difference between the cheaper and more expensive ones where the components couldn't absorb the shock. Although make sense that could be the case. *looks at even cheaper CPC surge protector and wonders if it's a fire risk*.

One of my Masterplug surge protectors the power LED has failed on and it's not very old, which hasn't happened on the cheaper ones. That doesn't fill me full of confidence in them Good to know some of their products still have the warranty though. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that
moneysavingkitten

Hmmm I have worried about plugging things directly into the mains. I do … Hmmm I have worried about plugging things directly into the mains. I do have a surge protected, not extended, single plug for my laptop. Perhaps I am just weird :)I didn't know there was a difference between the cheaper and more expensive ones where the components couldn't absorb the shock. Although make sense that could be the case. *looks at even cheaper CPC surge protector and wonders if it's a fire risk*.One of my Masterplug surge protectors the power LED has failed on and it's not very old, which hasn't happened on the cheaper ones. That doesn't fill me full of confidence in them Good to know some of their products still have the warranty though. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that

No worries.

And yeah, if the LED has stopped working, it usually means the surge protection has too, but it shouldn't affect the extension lead itself from working.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants