Groups

Is Switch already a failure?

Thoughts guys?

youtu.be/Cb-…qNc

145 Comments

what the guy with the top comment on this video said..

Ok, I'll bite...

It's sold twice as many units as the WiiU and with a strong library of games all announced for 2017, both retail and Indie, I can only see those numbers growing stronger. Barely 4 days released into the wild is way, way too early to even suggest it's a so-called 'flop'. Talk again early 2018, we'll know better.

Just a side note. A Breath of the Wild is quite possibly alongside SMG 1 & 2 and Metroid Prime the best videogame I have ever experienced.

Original Poster

pazuzu17

Ok, I'll bite...It's sold twice as many units as the WiiU and with a … Ok, I'll bite...It's sold twice as many units as the WiiU and with a strong library of games all announced for 2017, both retail and Indie, I can only see those numbers growing stronger. Barely 4 days released into the wild is way, way too early to even suggest it's a so-called 'flop'. Talk again early 2018, we'll know better.Just a side note. A Breath of the Wild is quite possibly alongside SMG 1 & 2 and Metroid Prime the best videogame I have ever experienced.

I was more referring to the way it's been designed not the game library. I mean all those scratched screens, stuck joycons, etc etc. I just can see the complaints are growing about its design. So not sure what switch owners think? Is this a small portion of people who have problems or these are some serious issues with design?

Didn't it sell 80000 units today?

I wouldn't buy one yet, the wii u seems a much better prospect atm.

mixmixi

I was more referring to the way it's been designed not the game library. … I was more referring to the way it's been designed not the game library. I mean all those scratched screens, stuck joycons, etc etc. I just can see the complaints are growing about its design. So not sure what switch owners think? Is this a small portion of people who have problems or these are some serious issues with design?

Pretty much every console has issues of some sort at launch. Let's take an obvious example - the Xbox 360 was notorious for its RROD problems, but I can't see anyone legitimately describing that as a failure in western markets.

The fact your save files are more or less specific to your console (no way of moving saved files), means if your switch develops a fault, or it breaks......forget the hours youve put into Zelda.

Theres truly not much difference in the wii u / switch versions. Very poor launch title quantity.

Love the switch, but I can safely say its being returned. The save file thing and several other niggles, not including any hardware faults, have just irritated me.

Will wait till its £200 with a game and theyve sorted stuff out.

pazuzu17

Ok, I'll bite...It's sold twice as many units as the WiiU and with a … Ok, I'll bite...It's sold twice as many units as the WiiU and with a strong library of games all announced for 2017, both retail and Indie, I can only see those numbers growing stronger. Barely 4 days released into the wild is way, way too early to even suggest it's a so-called 'flop'. Talk again early 2018, we'll know better.Just a side note. A Breath of the Wild is quite possibly alongside SMG 1 & 2 and Metroid Prime the best videogame I have ever experienced.

its not about how much it sold this video is indicating some known defects that are being shown from all buyers which makes the console itself a piece of garbage...
    Edited by: "BigP50000" 7th Mar

Original Poster

Illusionary

Pretty much every console has issues of some sort at launch. Let's take … Pretty much every console has issues of some sort at launch. Let's take an obvious example - the Xbox 360 was notorious for its RROD problems, but I can't see anyone legitimately describing that as a failure in western markets.

I agree 360 was released with lots of issues but when it released there was no two powerful consoles of very well supported competitor already in the market. It was also released to higher aspects than say what PS2 was, so it survived and to my understanding became one of the most successful consoles in history. But now we've got two solid consoles in the market. I know you can't play Mario on Xbox or PS4 but then I can't imagine with the cheap design switch is having how well it will be able to survive. This is not trolling Rob, it's just a random video I encountered on YouTube with a dozens of people complaining in the first few days of switch's launch and I thought I'd ask people about their thoughts.
    Edited by: "mixmixi" 7th Mar

jimbo001

Didn't it sell 80000 units today? I wouldn't buy one yet, the wii u seems … Didn't it sell 80000 units today? I wouldn't buy one yet, the wii u seems a much better prospect atm.

What's the second hand market like for wiiu games? Can you pick them up cheap or do they hold their value well?

The Switch sold around 80,000 units in its opening weekend in the UK, placing it well above the dismal number from Wii-U's launch (40,000 units) but well below recent launches like the Playstation 4 (250,000), the Xbox One (150,000) or even the 3DS (113,000).

The faults that have been reported are all genuine and hardware faults which cant be solved by an update. Poor quality dock, easily knocked over, scratches the screen, connectivity issues of controllers,wifi issues etc etc Overall though its a superb bit of kit.

mixmixi

I agree 360 was released with lots of issues but when it released there … I agree 360 was released with lots of issues but when it released there was no two powerful consoles of very well supported competitor already in the market. It was also released to higher aspects than say what PS2 was, so it survived and tinny understanding became one of the most successful consoles in history. But now we've got two solid consoles in the market. I know you can't play Mario on Xbox or PS4 but then I can't imagine with the cheap design switch is having how well it will be able to survive. This is not trolling Rob, it's just a random video I encountered on YouTube with a dozens of people complaining in the first few of switch's lunch and I thought I'd ask people about their thoughts.

I wasn't meaning to accuse you of trolling - apologies if it came across that way - but the thread will undoubtedly attract people who are.

Certainly the system has some issues, but with the comments that you're seeing in this video (and similar), I think most of what you're seeing is just the typical phenomenon of those with complaints always shouting the loudest - the satisfied majority are just enjoying playing! That, and some others just take enjoyment from trying to rile people up.

Original Poster

Illusionary

I wasn't meaning to accuse you of trolling - apologies if it came across … I wasn't meaning to accuse you of trolling - apologies if it came across that way - but the thread will undoubtedly attract people who are. :(Certainly the system has some issues, but with the comments that you're seeing in this video (and similar), I think most of what you're seeing is just the typical phenomenon of those with complaints always shouting the loudest - the satisfied majority are just enjoying playing! That, and some others just take enjoyment from trying to rile people up.

I hope the trolls stay away from my thread as I do want a constructive discussion here. I get your point mate, and I do agree on the hardware issues switch has, all I am interested to know is how well it will survived considering Nintendo released it when PS4 and Xbox are two decently ripen consoles in the market. It's still indigestible for my as to why Nintendo didn't think about the design of the a better dock for the console or even the location of charging port for people who wants to play and charge the console at the same time. These are basics...

Switch is a failure in my eyes until they down the price to £200, release more games for it and add apps/virtual console/player talk. At the moment it sucks for sure. I'm surprised anyone is buying it at the moment. For the price of £330 (Switch+LoZ: BoW) you can purchase a ps4, psvita and a few games. That's a better purchase for sure.

I feel disappointed with the switch. To me it's a stepping stone for Nintendo to go handheld with the home option rather than compete with ps4 and xbox1. I feel they are aiming for family and the younger audience which is OK I guess.. What will the library be once the so far announced games have come and gone... will there be enough to make me wanna buy one.. we shall see.

To be fair I was tempted to buy it but can't justify after having both 3ds and vita for on the go gaming and both pc and ps4 at home besides various retro bit's and bobs.

I'm sure more people will enjoy it and use it as a party piece. I do hope they work out the issues as I think we need more than two the 2 heavy hitters to keep the competition healthy. To sum up I am just disappointed

BOD - Buzz of death

The docking issue will effect everyone.

Hands up which mugs bought this at launch????.
    Edited by: "J4GG4" 7th Mar

Seeing that video made me glad I didn't buy a Switch day one. I know I could've gotten a system with 0 faults, but to be one of those who did would be very disappointing.
    I'm curious to see how large of a percentage these errors effect the sales.

Just seems like Nintendo's quality control has been pretty poor with this console.

kos1c

Seeing that video made me glad I didn't buy a Switch day one. I know I … Seeing that video made me glad I didn't buy a Switch day one. I know I could've gotten a system with 0 faults, but to be one of those who did would be very disappointing. I'm curious to see how large of a percentage these errors effect the sales. Just seems like Nintendo's quality control has been pretty poor with this console.

That may be true, but we don't have any figures on failure rates to back it up yet.
    The Xbox 360 apparently had over 20% failure rate and went on to be one of the top selling consoles of all time.

Can't people be a bit more careful putting the Switch in the dock to stop scratches?

paulsalmon77

That may be true, but we don't have any figures on failure rates to back … That may be true, but we don't have any figures on failure rates to back it up yet.The Xbox 360 apparently had over 20% failure rate and went on to be one of the top selling consoles of all time.

​True with the xbox 360. But that was during a period where it had no competition. It had a year to its self for sales (Nov 22 2005), while the ps3 came out a year later at a really high cost.

Low costs, first HD console on the market, no market to fight. Explains the sale figures.

All new consoles suck from the start, second and third versions tends to best

Define failure?
    Has it sold well: yes.
    Has it made a profit: yes.
    Has it created a buzz: yes.

I went asda yesterday i think the biggest problem for it is this, they only had three games on display for it and theres no backwards compatibility.

Just for the record I don't have one, nothing on it that interests me enough to shell out that kind of cash, happy with my wiiu. No interest in xbox or ps4 i do like the looks of ni no kuni 2 and last guardian and that oriy and the forgotten forest or whatever it is and mt son wants forza but two games isn't reason enough to buy anything.

My next console is most likely going to be Nintendo's successor to 3DS
    Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 7th Mar

The graphics on Zelda are flashy and annoy me.

Rom

What's the second hand market like for wiiu games? Can you pick them up … What's the second hand market like for wiiu games? Can you pick them up cheap or do they hold their value well?

It still holding. I'd imagine the system will attract collectors too because of the small software library. You might get a lull when the supermarkets etc clear out, although that's already happened in most of them.

Error440

My next console is most likely going to be Nintendo's successor to 3DS

So, the Switch.

ShadowWarrior241

Switch is a failure in my eyes until they down the price to £200, release … Switch is a failure in my eyes until they down the price to £200, release more games for it and add apps/virtual console/player talk. At the moment it sucks for sure. I'm surprised anyone is buying it at the moment. For the price of £330 (Switch+LoZ: BoW) you can purchase a ps4, psvita and a few games. That's a better purchase for sure.

The vita?!?!?! The VITA!!!! I think i'm going to wee myself... X)

And to think, they were £229 at launch (I know I was the sucker that bought one...)!

Jay080286

Can't people be a bit more careful putting the Switch in the dock to stop … Can't people be a bit more careful putting the Switch in the dock to stop scratches?

TBH - The same kind of people that put Wii remotes through the tv... shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

Rom

What's the second hand market like for wiiu games? Can you pick them up … What's the second hand market like for wiiu games? Can you pick them up cheap or do they hold their value well?

You're looking at £20-25 for anything worth playing, maybe as low as £15 for stuff that has been released on the Selects range. Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2 would probably set you back £100 for the lot

I am genuinely surprised of the poor build quality, come to expect better of Nintendo's, but the dock is shoddy you would expect it from some far east knock off.

Yes.

Krooner

So, the Switch.

No the successor to the 3DS which they have already stated they are working on, Switch is the successor to Wiiu

Flodd

The vita?!?!?! The VITA!!!! I think i'm going to wee myself... X)And to … The vita?!?!?! The VITA!!!! I think i'm going to wee myself... X)And to think, they were £229 at launch (I know I was the sucker that bought one...)!

I've got one too, didn't pay that much tho, i onky bought it as i was expecting a vibrant homebrew scene, the PSP gets more use, plus i can use microSD in that

Error440

No the successor to the 3DS which they have already stated they are … No the successor to the 3DS which they have already stated they are working on, Switch is the successor to Wiiu

Have they?

"In an interview with Time, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima answered questions about the Switch and his time with the company. In regards to its handheld market, a successor to the 3DS is not in the works, but that doesn't mean the end of Nintendo's handhelds. - 8 Feb 2017"

Even if one turns up, there's software pledged o 3DS until 2018. So, 2019/2020 before we actually get our hands on anything. I reckon you'll have bought a Switch within the next four years...

I don't imagine we'll see one anyway. The dedicated handheld market has been in decline for years, and switch is an obvious move to converge the handheld and home console software divisions in-house. I suppose it's all down to how well the Switch itself does, but if it carries on like it's week one suggests - then I could see that being it.

Short answer, no. In 48 hrs it sold more than the original wii did in the same period. Also zelda as a launch title sold more than super Mario 64

the last Nintendo, the Wii u is the only Nintendo I've never had. was intending on getting this, but will hang back a couple of months rather than weeks and see how it progresses.
    you do come to expect teething problems with new launch consoles, having gone through three 360's when they came out lol

pazuzu17

Ok I'll bite... the best 3 games ever are Metroid Prime, Super Mario 1 & 2 and then the new Zelda... I really must say... marked me shocked that you would praise the new Nintendo console...

On topic...

Its a terrible launch... has it been handled by the same guy that did the Xbox one launch?? he is out of work and a lot of it smacks of his competency...

They should have held it back IMHO... I looked and the "launch window" list (when did launch window become a thing) and honestly apart from Zelda and the rehash of Mario Kart I couldn't find anything to give my money away for..

To me they should have held back and done the following...

1 - Launched with their Virtual Console/Back catalogue sorted with some golden old crowd pleasers. (I assume with that vintage NES thing this was a business decision to have your cake and eat it)
    2 - Had some solid big name 3rd party games ready to launch (titles people know - including a driving title and sports titles)
    3 - Had a Mario game and new Mario kart ready.

Once you launch and you kill your own buzz there is no turning back... Xbox are still trying to make up for a bodged launch, Nintendo should know from the Wii U... once people pass at launch its much harder to convince them - I wanted to a Wii U before launch and just never got round to it... at this point I kinda feel the same will happen with switch.. when I read the first details it was a must have for me... handheld and proper console in one! yes! exactly what I want... but slowly I have drifted from it... Kit looks amazing but just aren't games for it, no point throwing down £300 to have 1-5 games for it...

People say the Vita has a poor game list (and it certainly wasn't supported like it should be) and it was a cracking bit of kit.... yet it kinda sailed by... which is a shame coz its great...

If you make a console you have to make games for it... (or at least get others too)... I guess after the Wii U its a chicken and Egg scenario.. people probably didn't want to make games and invest in a console that they didn't know how well it was going to sell... so Nintendo had to release to turn round and say - look we sold millions - but will enough buy to tempt people in and by then will people care...

Best console experience I've had in years and that's only playing one game.

The OS is really nice.

Krooner

Have they? "In an interview with Time, Nintendo president Tatsumi … Have they? "In an interview with Time, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima answered questions about the Switch and his time with the company. In regards to its handheld market, a successor to the 3DS is not in the works, but that doesn't mean the end of Nintendo's handhelds. - 8 Feb 2017"Even if one turns up, there's software pledged o 3DS until 2018. So, 2019/2020 before we actually get our hands on anything. I reckon you'll have bought a Switch within the next four years...I don't imagine we'll see one anyway. The dedicated handheld market has been in decline for years, and switch is an obvious move to converge the handheld and home console software divisions in-house. I suppose it's all down to how well the Switch itself does, but if it carries on like it's week one suggests - then I could see that being it.

My money is on the next hardware release from Nintendo being a variant on the switch, fully compatible but perhaps smaller/different form factor... some differentiator to open more of the market to the platform whilst keeping compatibility. Kind of like 3ds/3dsxl/new 3ds etc.

Having watched that video this is garbage compared to other consoles or handhelds on the market. Yes I agree that other consoles have had day one problems like the Xbox 360 but those problems were electronic problems. This switch has problems with the screen the games loading but the worst problems is with its design these grip joys are really badly designed but worst design over all is the docking station just look at it. It looks cheap it is cheap crap sold at a premium price.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***418
      2. love affairs1649
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      4. Important info for Ryanair customers1825

See more discussions