Expired

Is the child flu vaccination halal ?

Found 16th Sep 2015
The NHS say that after successful trials it's rolling out a program of flu vaccination for primary schools which involves a nasal spray that contains porcine gelatine A.
The Muslim council of Britain says its not halaal for healthy children but others are not so clear.
Does anybody know the truth ?
Community Updates
AskVaccine
21 Comments
porcine (pig) gelatine what do you think?
Good question and is relevant for other religions or vegetarians also.

Wouldn't the avoidance of child flu not be a justifiable reason to still use it?
(Influenza can lead to pneumonia and other life-threatening complications, particularly in babies)

In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration
Ask your GP
"In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration"

I rang the board of Jewish deputies and that's what they said, in fact the man said he would not hesitate to give it to his own children
Edited by: "sowotsdis" 16th Sep 2015
sowotsdis

"In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of … "In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration"I rang the board of Jewish deputies and that's what they said, in fact the man said he would not hesitate to give it to his own children

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovahs-witnesses-medical-treatment/

Some treatments conflict with Bible principles, though, and we reject … Some treatments conflict with Bible principles, though, and we reject these. For example, we don’t accept blood transfusions because the Bible forbids taking in blood to sustain the body.

davewave

Good question and is relevant for other religions or vegetarians … Good question and is relevant for other religions or vegetarians also.Wouldn't the avoidance of child flu not be a justifiable reason to still use it? (Influenza can lead to pneumonia and other life-threatening complications, particularly in babies)In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration

Same in Islam.
personally as a mum of 4 and having had a flu vaccine myself in the past I'm never having one again and I'm not putting my kids through it either. I've never in my life had flu just coughs and colds, but the one year my doc talked me into having the vaccine I had flu 4 times! it's completely debilitating and I never want to experience it again. I've not had flu again since that one year.

As a Muslim I'm not giving it to my children. I don't think flu is life threatening if you have healthy children. If I had no other choice and they needed it to preserve their life then I wouldn't hesitate to give it. But I believe your body should be able to fight flu it self. I think this is really an individual choice but no Muslim I know has given it to their children and they've been fine the last 2 winters. maybe ask for more in depth info from your local imam or a Muslim pharmacist that's a practising Muslim.

good luck whatever you decide to do and I hope your kids have a healthy winter.
sowotsdis

"In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of … "In Judaism for example usage could be justified the preservation of human life overrides virtually any other religious consideration"I rang the board of Jewish deputies and that's what they said, in fact the man said he would not hesitate to give it to his own children

If you want to know if somethjng is Halal then why are you phoning the board of Jewish deputies for clarification?

If you want to have theological debates then post your threads in misc.
@adhkarzf
two things: firstly 'The 1918 flu pandemic killed 50 to 100 million—three to five percent of the world's population'

secondly this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b1/7b/fc/b17bfc7a7a9488211d33b84a64142e47.jpg
DennisG

@adhkarzftwo things: firstly 'The 1918 flu pandemic killed 50 to 100 … @adhkarzftwo things: firstly 'The 1918 flu pandemic killed 50 to 100 million—three to five percent of the world's population'secondly this:

​I'm sorry but did I say flu doesn't kill? no I don't think I did and seeing as my kids are fully vaccinated as am I the image wouldn't apply to me. I disagree with almost everything in the image as those are just silly opinions.

I gave my opinion on why I don't vaccinate myself on with the flu vaccine or my kids and it is exactly that MY OPINION not anything backed up by statistics or articles.

I agree that many people have the opinions in the image but I'm not one of them.
If you're concerned by this, have a look at the ingredients of injected vaccinations... oO
No, so best not to have it. Enjoy winter.
adhkarzf

I gave my opinion on why I don't vaccinate myself on with the flu vaccine … I gave my opinion on why I don't vaccinate myself on with the flu vaccine or my kids and it is exactly that MY OPINION not anything backed up by statistics or articles.

That's the problem. If you'd said you'd consulted your doctor or other expert when this happened and they'd referred you to an immunologist who'd done tests and comfirmed the vaccine was causing the problems then that course of action would have been a perfectly reasonable one.

As it is you've essentially said you've increased the risk to your children based on something that could be nothing but bad luck. You didn't even refer to the vaccine by name so we don't know what you've checked that it's the same flu vaccine that caused you problems.

You've every right to be concerned when something like that happens, and indeed you should be, but you should seek expert opinions and get tests done. Not only will it allow you to make a much more informed decision but it'll help with the development of other vaccines in future.
EndlessWaves

That's the problem. If you'd said you'd consulted your doctor or other … That's the problem. If you'd said you'd consulted your doctor or other expert when this happened and they'd referred you to an immunologist who'd done tests and comfirmed the vaccine was causing the problems then that course of action would have been a perfectly reasonable one.As it is you've essentially said you've increased the risk to your children based on something that could be nothing but bad luck. You didn't even refer to the vaccine by name so we don't know what you've checked that it's the same flu vaccine that caused you problems.You've every right to be concerned when something like that happens, and indeed you should be, but you should seek expert opinions and get tests done. Not only will it allow you to make a much more informed decision but it'll help with the development of other vaccines in future.

​I did consult my doctor and their reply was it could just be bad luck. also the kids one is different from the adult vaccine as it's given in the nose. If I was to give it to my kids I'd give them the injection which doesn't contain porcine gelatine.

again my opinion which I'm entitled to just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.
adhkarzf

personally as a mum of 4 and having had a flu vaccine myself in the past … personally as a mum of 4 and having had a flu vaccine myself in the past I'm never having one again and I'm not putting my kids through it either. I've never in my life had flu just coughs and colds, but the one year my doc talked me into having the vaccine I had flu 4 times! it's completely debilitating and I never want to experience it again. I've not had flu again since that one year. As a Muslim I'm not giving it to my children. I don't think flu is life threatening if you have healthy children. If I had no other choice and they needed it to preserve their life then I wouldn't hesitate to give it. But I believe your body should be able to fight flu it self. I think this is really an individual choice but no Muslim I know has given it to their children and they've been fine the last 2 winters. maybe ask for more in depth info from your local imam or a Muslim pharmacist that's a practising Muslim. good luck whatever you decide to do and I hope your kids have a healthy winter.

My son is a severe asthmatic anything can trigger his asthma. A cold can lead to a chest infection that can land him in hospital. For that reason my son has it every year.
bestestbud85

My son is a severe asthmatic anything can trigger his asthma. A cold can … My son is a severe asthmatic anything can trigger his asthma. A cold can lead to a chest infection that can land him in hospital. For that reason my son has it every year.

​asthma is a pain I have 3 kids with asthma too youngest is easily triggered with a cough or cold. have you tried montelukast sodium? amazing medicine my daughter was in hospital 3 times when she suddenly without warning developed asthma at the age of 2 being previously healthy with no problems. put her on the MKS and it's done wonders for her asthma. hope your son has a healthy winter and his asthma stays under control through the winter period. do you find anything that particularly helps when a cold is just starting to nip it in the bud? I'm still on a learning curve with my little one and we still haven't figured out what triggers her. The boys it's mainly dust.
Aw thank you. He had an allergy to airborne viruses( anything and everything) even being outside on a lovely day will trigger hayfever>asthma. It really is awful to have.
Iv not heard of MKS. What is it? Where can i get it from. Hope your kids stay healthy too.
adhkarzf

​asthma is a pain I have 3 kids with asthma too youngest is easily t … ​asthma is a pain I have 3 kids with asthma too youngest is easily triggered with a cough or cold. have you tried montelukast sodium? amazing medicine my daughter was in hospital 3 times when she suddenly without warning developed asthma at the age of 2 being previously healthy with no problems. put her on the MKS and it's done wonders for her asthma. hope your son has a healthy winter and his asthma stays under control through the winter period. do you find anything that particularly helps when a cold is just starting to nip it in the bud? I'm still on a learning curve with my little one and we still haven't figured out what triggers her. The boys it's mainly dust.

On inhalers and tablets to help his asthma too
bestestbud85

On inhalers and tablets to help his asthma too

​Oh god sounds horrible my little one is bad enough just been in hospital 5 times in the space of 18 months! Your son sounds worse off than her. MKS was my way of shortening montelukast sodium it's just too long to type lol. I have an inkling my daughter is triggered with hay fever too but it's quite random. She's just started nursery so fingers crossed she doesn't pick up too many bugs.
I am not giving this vaccine to my child, it is just like the MMR, in the future we would hear the side effects.
The more flu the kids get, the more resistant their body would be to it.
This is my opinion anyway!
choice4

I am not giving this vaccine to my child, it is just like the MMR, in the … I am not giving this vaccine to my child, it is just like the MMR, in the future we would hear the side effects.The more flu the kids get, the more resistant their body would be to it.This is my opinion anyway!

Really? Is this click bait?

Do you understand how vaccines work?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants