Is the food off?

Found 9th Jan
I went out to a Chinese restaurant last night with my husband and when I got home, I puked all the contents out 2 hours later! I felt like I was going to die and felt so ill before and after I had vomited.

This morning I have recovered and don't feel ill any more but I can still taste the food coming back up my throat every now and then and it has been 15 to 16 hours since that meal so the food has not been digested fully and is still in my stomach.

Should I worry? I have been sick before after eating something dodgy, but only rarely and I feel fine the next day so this feeling of the food still undigested in my stomach is new.

I googled how long it takes for food to be digested and it states 6 - 8 hours so the fact that the food is not digested after 16 hours would indicate that something is wrong? I don't feel ill though and feel fine, except for the occasionally taste of the food coming back up. Yuck!
Community Updates
AskGroceries
14 Comments
If you were sick so quickly after the meal it is likely to be food poisoning. I had it once about 45 minutes after eating chicken. The chicken breast had been stuffed, left to go cold outside of the fridge and then recooked. The company were fined as nearly 20 people had the same problem.

Drink plenty of water and when you do feel like eating start with dry crackers, toast etc.
Your hubby ate the same as you right, what's his condition?
First, it's most likely to be the rice that's the guilty party. Secondly, did you go for a meat free dish (ie soya or qorn?) If so read this......

"Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing." Quorn adverse reactions
Some people get a strong reaction similar to food poisoning if the Chef uses too much MSG.

or a mild food poisoning. I wouldn't worry too much unless symptoms continue for another 24 hours, try and eat something plain ideally with a pinch of salt added and keep hydrated
It sounds like you just ate something that disagrees with you and your body was rejecting it. There appears to be no other symptoms, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Keep yourself well hydrated if this occurs again as you don't want to get dehydrated, it's a very unpleasant experience if you do. You can also get hydration sachets from any pharmacist if you think you might need them if this occurs again. Your GP should also be able to prescribe pills to stop any further vomiting if this does occurs again which are very effective, work very quickly.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 9th Jan
They might have served up hamster in your meal The Chinese restaurant in my area got done by the Food Standards Agency for putting cooked hamster in the food years ago
summerof768 m ago

They might have served up hamster in your meal The Chinese restaurant …They might have served up hamster in your meal The Chinese restaurant in my area got done by the Food Standards Agency for putting cooked hamster in the food years ago

Not all Chinese restaurants are dodgy though you are more likely to get food poisoning from restaurant food than you are from food you cooked at home yourself.

Oh, and did the hamster taste nice by the way?
Edited by: "LemonHead" 9th Jan
You say you 'puked all the contents out 2 hours later', so theres nothing left to digest....

As above, drink plenty water, the taste will go away, and when your up to it dry crackers, dry toast (or even a banana I find helps me on an upset stomach, not for everyone though)

Your husband had a different meal and is fine..?
Original Poster
I am feeling ok today although this afternoon i felt like i was going to puke again, but it didn't happen. I don't feel like i have a lot of energy so i am feeling lethargic and tired, which i am putting down to the episode yesterday.

I am wondering more about the fact that the food still seems to be there after 16 hours as it should have digested by then. i could taste it coming back up my throat, and you can't mistake the chinese dinner taste. I am worried that it is not the food but that i have developed a problem with my stomach, not being able to digest the food.

As someone has said, it may be food poisoning, but i thought food poisoning always mean you have to go to hospital? I have recovered today so that is too quick a recovery for food poisoning? Do you actually feel you are death's door and about to collapse if you have food poisoning? I had difficulty standing up.

My husband ate the same food but he is perfectly fine and I have been to that restaurant before and ate the same thing without any issue. I ate prawns, which may have gone off as I saw bits of them when I vomited. Yuck.

I will avoid that restaurant in future in case it was the food.
Could you face eating the same food again? I've only had proper food poisoning a couple of times in my life but still the thought of eating the same food again that caused it makes me feel sick instantly even years later, it could be just me but I believe you know yourself if a certain food made you ill and just the thought of eating it again is enough to confirm it.

Glad your feeling better now thou!
Edited by: "barriey" 9th Jan
summerof764 h, 33 m ago

They might have served up hamster in your meal The Chinese restaurant …They might have served up hamster in your meal The Chinese restaurant in my area got done by the Food Standards Agency for putting cooked hamster in the food years ago

The secret of cooking a good hamster is to fatten them up first I believe.
33028112-8xGI4.jpg
Original Poster
barriey1 h, 40 m ago

Could you face eating the same food again? I've only had proper food …Could you face eating the same food again? I've only had proper food poisoning a couple of times in my life but still the thought of eating the same food again that caused it makes me feel sick instantly even years later, it could be just me but I believe you know yourself if a certain food made you ill and just the thought of eating it again is enough to confirm it.Glad your feeling better now thou!

The food was really nice, and to me that is saying a lot as i dont like most food. I would definately eat the same food again, but not at the same restaurant as i am scared to go back there now in case this happens again.

I have a problem with memory so soon i will not remember how bad i felt yesterday and so the worry will fade away. I just hope that it wont fade to such an extent that i will end up going back there.
mutley121 h, 8 m ago

I am feeling ok today although this afternoon i felt like i was going to …I am feeling ok today although this afternoon i felt like i was going to puke again, but it didn't happen. I don't feel like i have a lot of energy so i am feeling lethargic and tired, which i am putting down to the episode yesterday.I am wondering more about the fact that the food still seems to be there after 16 hours as it should have digested by then. i could taste it coming back up my throat, and you can't mistake the chinese dinner taste. I am worried that it is not the food but that i have developed a problem with my stomach, not being able to digest the food.As someone has said, it may be food poisoning, but i thought food poisoning always mean you have to go to hospital? I have recovered today so that is too quick a recovery for food poisoning? Do you actually feel you are death's door and about to collapse if you have food poisoning? I had difficulty standing up.My husband ate the same food but he is perfectly fine and I have been to that restaurant before and ate the same thing without any issue. I ate prawns, which may have gone off as I saw bits of them when I vomited. Yuck.I will avoid that restaurant in future in case it was the food.

I had food poisoning once, a long time ago now, I wasn't hospitalised, just a lot of really heavy vomiting. It was really nasty though from what I remember. It was a pasty I ate from what I remember. I wouldn't mind I ate the same as what my friend was eating too though he was fine. My mistake was probably because I decided to have a second one and regretted it.

If you were vomiting and excessive amount you will also lose a lot of fluid, that might explain why you were having difficulty standing up, especially if you were feeling light-headed - a sure sign of dehydration.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 10th Jan
Original Poster
LemonHead44 m ago

I had food poisoning once, a long time ago now, I wasn't hospitalised, …I had food poisoning once, a long time ago now, I wasn't hospitalised, just a lot of really heavy vomiting. It was really nasty though from what I remember. It was a pasty I ate from what I remember. I wouldn't mind I ate the same as what my friend was eating too though he was fine. My mistake was probably because I decided to have a second one and regretted it.If you were vomiting and excessive amount you will also lose a lot of fluid, that might explain why you were having difficulty standing up, especially if you were feeling light-headed - a sure sign of dehydration.

it puzzled me that although my husband ate the same food he was perfectly fine but then again he is a lot bigger than me and we had the same amount of food so perhaps i ate too much, which may have contributed to me being sick, not that i ate too much, but that for my body size, i ate too much of the bad food.

it could be that i ate the bad prawns and he didn't, or the bad bit of chicken and he didn't. i am still uncertain if it was the food that did me in, but i can't imagine what else it could be that caused me to vomit and felt so ill.

i was feeling so ill, i think my body was in panic mode and so the best way of defence for it was to throw out what it can't deal with. i think when your body is in panic mode, other functions are brushed aside, like the ability to stand up, in order for it to deal with the more immediate danger of the poisoned food.

i only vomited once, but it was a lot. i can only remember vomiting to that extent once before but then again my memory is not great, so it wouldn't surprise me if i have vomited to that extent more than once before.

luckily i feel fine today, so it was a brief issue and has not lingered once the food came back out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants