Is the humour being drained out of hotdeals

Posted 10th MarEdited by:"jasee"
This post for instance has been heavity censored and the deal locked for further comments.

hotukdeals.com/dea…838

It is about a beer called Corona and the OP suggested that it had been reduced for obvious reasons. That bit and quite a few amusing (to me) comments have also be deleted. Whether this is because of user complaints I don't know.
Of course the virus is a very serious matter to many people, myself included and must be even more so to those who actually have it. However it has always been, I think, rather English to make light of such things even in times of great duress.
Another example is OP for women's underwear. These used to attract very positive! comments and subsequently very negative comments however now these are simply not allowed. It was totally predictable who would make the comments!
There should be a place for humour in hotdeals.
As of 15/03/2020
It seems 'they've given' up on censoring Corona-virus comments entirely, not a bad thing really, there is a lot of misinformation about and the threads seem full of it, but also these are quite often shot down and links to better information is given.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
For me, the humour is one of the best parts of hotukdeals. If it goes, it will be sad.
I posted a comment suggesting the puns were contagious and it got deleted. That's ridiculous, Most of the other puns remained etc.. People taking offence where there isn't any.
.MUFC.10/03/2020 17:56

Nope, I simply commented "The puns are contagious".

Suppose some people just moderate because they can, without a viable reason. Who knows.

Changing Deal titles and Deal post pictures gets a bit ridiculous, (there was a phase where my images were getting replaced with such low-resolution images even a ZX81 owner would've been appalled).
Humour is alive and well on this site.
The owners are having a laugh with the Moderation team they've employed
Edited by: "Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell" 10th Mar
59 Comments
As I've said before, and I am only one person, but I have a female username on HUKD (obviously).

I once made a completely innocuous comment I was putting on weight on a bra thread and got a creepy (unsolicited) PM. I still have it. There were a few women actually commenting (for once) so I was joining in. When you're a woman online you do sometimes trip over these sorts of people, but I did complain at the time.

It seems totally bizarre to me that 99% of the comments on female lingerie threads are from men, but when it's a male undies thread, it's completely different. That PM/weird behaviour certainly put me off commenting on such threads. I even got the pleasure of a defensive reply when I told the guy to check his manners!

Banter is usually harmless, but it depends whether it could upset, offend or harass, maybe that's when mods step in. From looking at the Corona Beer thread, looks as though the mods were getting fed up having to delete comments, but I didn't read it when the comments were live.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 10th Mar
I'd prefer it to just be about deals.
For every genuinely funny comment there are fifty abusive and inanely puerile strings of words and face drawings.

If anything, the filtering should be stricter.
Edited by: "Erudite" 10th Mar
This thread will disappear very quickly ....
Go read animal farm
Erudite10/03/2020 17:32

I'd prefer it to just be about deals.For every genuinely funny comment …I'd prefer it to just be about deals.For every genuinely funny comment there are fifty abusive and inanely puerile strings of words and face drawings.If anything, the filtering should be stricter.

Wow!
Well I think that's the way it's going
I posted a comment suggesting the puns were contagious and it got deleted. That's ridiculous, Most of the other puns remained etc.. People taking offence where there isn't any.
.MUFC.10/03/2020 17:51

I posted a comment suggesting the puns were contagious and it got deleted. …I posted a comment suggesting the puns were contagious and it got deleted. That's ridiculous, Most of the other puns remained etc.. People taking offence where there isn't any.

Could be you quoted someone who said something that was deleted and yours was taken down as well.

Suppose we can say moderation will be inconsistent because humans are. I do think MSE's moderation tends to be a bit better (and swifter) than HUKD.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 10th Mar
For me, the humour is one of the best parts of hotukdeals. If it goes, it will be sad.
louiselouise10/03/2020 17:54

Could be you quoted someone who said something that was deleted and yours …Could be you quoted someone who said something that was deleted and yours was taken down as well. Suppose we can say moderation will be inconsistent because, humans are. I do think MSE's moderation tends to be a bit better (and swifter) than HUKD.

Rune_2H10/03/2020 17:44

Comment deleted

I (of course) don't want to engage in that sort of stuff, I usually just comment to the post, but it will be a bit boring if all comments are removed on spec just because they are humerous. Personal attacks should not be allowed
.MUFC.10/03/2020 17:56

Suppose some people just moderate because they can, without a viable reason. Who knows.

Changing Deal titles and Deal post pictures gets a bit ridiculous, (there was a phase where my images were getting replaced with such low-resolution images even a ZX81 owner would've been appalled).

I posted a comment suggesting the puns were contagious and it got deleted. …I posted a comment suggesting the puns were contagious and it got deleted. That's ridiculous, Most of the other puns remained etc.. People taking offence where there isn't any.

But is it the users complaining or the mods themselves?
Edited by: "jasee" 10th Mar
jasee10/03/2020 17:58

But is it the users or the mods?

Think someone must have reported it.
.MUFC.10/03/2020 18:00

Don't bet on it.
.MUFC.10/03/2020 18:00

That does seem ridiculous, I sometimes post back to the mods if I think it's unfair.

This is genius. Glad I had a chance to see it!

On topic though, I agree "nasty" and personal "attacks" shouldn't be entertained but some people really are taking offence where there isn't any.
jasee10/03/2020 18:06

That does seem ridiculous, I sometimes post back to the mods if I think …That does seem ridiculous, I sometimes post back to the mods if I think it's unfair.

I did, I suggested they look at the other comments and they responded:

"When we review a report we usually look at the comment which has been reported and the quoted comment in case they both breach our site rules.

If you feel any other comments within the thread need reviewing report those individually and one of the team will be happy to check them out. Thanks!"

Seems they're heavily moderating anything to do with the virus etc.. So maybe I'm just a victim of that but it is rather silly. I'm hardly going to report other funny comments etc.. Light hearted humour should be allowed imo but I'm not a moderator or administrator. I know it can't be easy to keep everyone happy. Oh well. Live and learn I guess. I'll be a miserable old git instead
Edited by: ".MUFC." 10th Mar
It isn’t just HUKD, it’s today’s generation of people. Everyone gets offended by the most ridiculous things, and then complain how much it has hurt their feelings. Let’s just hope it doesn’t last too long, however it seems to just keep getting worse...
Humour is alive and well on this site.
The owners are having a laugh with the Moderation team they've employed
Edited by: "Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell" 10th Mar
Snowflakes aren't only for the winter it appears.
I've had a few post moderated yet seen far more direct and worse ones left untouched.

Ahh well the virus will knock out the old and infirm ( i'm probably both) and leave the young blood to pull the world forward to a better place.
I had a comment deleted because I posted a picture of a goose on one of those "it's the last one in my Tesco in the reduced section don't know if it's nationwide" posts
moshixmoshi10/03/2020 19:10

I had a comment deleted because I posted a picture of a goose on one of …I had a comment deleted because I posted a picture of a goose on one of those "it's the last one in my Tesco in the reduced section don't know if it's nationwide" posts

Surely everyone knows 'let the geese out'?
jasee10/03/2020 19:33

It had about 20 likes.. So I would have thought.
JohnnyRoller10/03/2020 19:01

It isn’t just HUKD, it’s today’s generation of people. Everyone gets offen …It isn’t just HUKD, it’s today’s generation of people. Everyone gets offended by the most ridiculous things, and then complain how much it has hurt their feelings. Let’s just hope it doesn’t last too long, however it seems to just keep getting worse...

I agree, all sides of everyone have to be equally represented or else one of them will complain and as there are 58 gender options ATM plus nationalties it just amounts to a leveling down of everything
jasee10/03/2020 19:33

Is it not "release the geese" or "wild goose chase"?
jasee10/03/2020 19:50

I agree, all sides of everyone have to be equally represented or else one …I agree, all sides of everyone have to be equally represented or else one of them will complain and as there are 58 gender options ATM plus nationalties it just amounts to a leveling down of everything

I'm offended you've not represented all genders. There are more than 58. Reported.
It`s all about the money money money
MadeDixonsCry10/03/2020 20:08

Is it not "release the geese" or "wild goose chase"? I'm offended you've …Is it not "release the geese" or "wild goose chase"? I'm offended you've not represented all genders. There are more than 58. Reported.

It's just a probably fruitless task.
I DO apologise for not mentioning the other genders
With the news being all virus doom and gloom these days, I welcome the light relief provided by such humour.
JohnnyRoller10/03/2020 19:01

It isn’t just HUKD, it’s today’s generation of people. Everyone gets offen …It isn’t just HUKD, it’s today’s generation of people. Everyone gets offended by the most ridiculous things, and then complain how much it has hurt their feelings. Let’s just hope it doesn’t last too long, however it seems to just keep getting worse...

Don’t forget those who are offended on behalf of others
moshixmoshi10/03/2020 19:10

I had a comment deleted because I posted a picture of a goose on one of …I had a comment deleted because I posted a picture of a goose on one of those "it's the last one in my Tesco in the reduced section don't know if it's nationwide" posts

Nah, it was a pic copyright violation issue to avoid takedown cease and desist.
choccie3210/03/2020 20:35

Don’t forget those who are offended on behalf of others

A robustness of snowflakes
jasee10/03/2020 20:23

It's just a probably fruitless task.I DO apologise for not mentioning the …It's just a probably fruitless task.I DO apologise for not mentioning the other genders

No offence taken, but then I'm gander fluid

Maybe they were afraid of it going viral
It's truly getting quite weird, had more comments deleted in last few months than in all the previous years. Totally innocuous comment deleted yesterday. I contacted hukd , but, no response. Btw, it was my comment that was deleted, not by association.
Edited by: "compadre" 11th Mar
Maybe the wild goose chase jpeg was considered to be baiting or trying to insult the OP, but that's an assumption on my part - seen loads on Tesco threads over the years (like the Onkyo meme, it goes on and on...)

Some weird people have the mindset that the internet is completely all about THEM, their wants, needs and desires. So if you supply information irrelevant to them, these types take it really personally and go on the attack.

We all get a bit miffed if we're inconvenienced in some way, say with a glitch or something that's only in one store in the Orkney Islands or something, but it's not the end of the world.
Apparently 'they' are taking it very seriously as now ALL comments on the Corona beer have been deleted!
Terrible nowadays. I understand people getting offended if it is a personal attack or insult which shouldn't be allowed. Light hearted jokes are met with abhorrence. It's a sad day when humour is taken out - a nannied, humourless nation oh what a joy to behold.
Here's an example of someone just commenting passive-aggressive nothingness (with a tinge of snark) for no apparent reason (why people are like this, I've no idea).... hotukdeals.com/com…457

Shouldn't be allowed to act like this on forums. I certainly don't do it.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 11th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants