Is the John Lewis price match / Never Knowingly Undersold guarantee a scam?

Found 2nd Aug 2016
Do John Lewis ever honour these price matches? I bought a TV from JL and have submitted 2 price match requests because I found it up to £200 cheaper at other retailers. They both have high street stores and include the same 5 year guarantee.

But they say they don't match the JL service conditions because in both cases, if I was to return the TV, JL would charge a £29.95 fee for large TV collections whereas the other retailers say I would have to arrange my own return. Even though I could take the TV back in my car and therefore pay nothing

I have been replying to their denial emails but it's like talking to a brick wall as they don't seem to understand the logic that the JL fee of £29.95 leaves me worse off than me arranging my own return.

So has anyone had any success? And if so how?
Community Updates
11 Comments
Yes, they've priced matched several times for me. No issues only when you try and abuse it by trying to price match with international sellers ect.. and online only stores.
Ive had 3 or 4 price match reductions... Always no problem. Just fill the online "never knowingly undersold" request form in and usually get the answer same day. So far not refused. All successful. That was for a TV, Vacuum Cleaner and Bose headset. We got a washing machine from there a couple of months ago and I noticed on day 27 of ordering it had dropped by £50. Rang customer services and they refunded me the £50 straight away.
It needs to be a High Street shop what you can walk in and be in stock.
Edited by: "gobur" 2nd Aug 2016
I thought perhaps I just had some bad luck but I've had 7 emails from different people across 2 claims. They seem to scan the terms and conditions of the retailer and quote some kind of clause and say their service conditions are not comparable.

I guess I'll just keep trying then.
Which other stores are you comparing JL with so we know for future purchases.
FatherTed

I thought perhaps I just had some bad luck but I've had 7 emails from … I thought perhaps I just had some bad luck but I've had 7 emails from different people across 2 claims. They seem to scan the terms and conditions of the retailer and quote some kind of clause and say their service conditions are not comparable.I guess I'll just keep trying then.

What store are you trying to match?

I should add that I have always done the price match request before buying though, since that seems the more sensible option.
Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Aug 2016
pan1100

Which other stores are you comparing JL with so we know for future … Which other stores are you comparing JL with so we know for future purchases.

joshp

We Sell Electricals (NOT 'We Sell Electrical' who are online only) and Hill's Sound & Vision so far

Several others are also selling it cheaper - Panasonic Store and Hughes Direct - but I expect the same response from JL because their T&Cs both say they would expect me to arrange my own return should I want a refund. Whereas John Lewis would "only" charge me £29.95 for a return and therefore I don't see how they can ever price match.

joshp

I should add that I have always done the price match request before … I should add that I have always done the price match request before buying though, since that seems the more sensible option.

I wish I had waited a couple of weeks now as other retailers have now dropped their prices but John Lewis have not sadly.
Edited by: "FatherTed" 2nd Aug 2016
pan1100

Which other stores are you comparing JL with so we know for future … Which other stores are you comparing JL with so we know for future purchases.

joshp

joshp

I should add that I have always done the price match request before … I should add that I have always done the price match request before buying though, since that seems the more sensible option.

They seem genuine stores and John Lewis should not be refusing on those grounds. They do sound like they are being awkward. My advice advice is to try a couple more requests because you will get different people review the price match request.

I've found some people are better than others and it's best to re-submit a request rather than trying to argue against their decision.
Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Aug 2016
They've refused to price match for me on the two occasions I've tried (after meeting all their terms).
The never knowingly undersold is obviously a 'scam' otherwise after somebody submits the price match the price will be reduced for all on their main site.
themorgatron

They've refused to price match for me on the two occasions I've tried … They've refused to price match for me on the two occasions I've tried (after meeting all their terms).The never knowingly undersold is obviously a 'scam' otherwise after somebody submits the price match the price will be reduced for all on their main site.

​agree with this as they don't change their prices after they're made aware it's cheaper elsewhere. so they knowingly charge you more in the hope that you don't do any research.
John Lewis wouldn't price match a TV I found on Tesco. I.e. The TV was being sold by Tesco and not a 3rd party!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants