is the new firestick worth the upgrade

Found 21st Feb 2017
New UK firestick announced on amazon for preorders, £39 for 6 April.

Is it much better than the old one? (Ignoring the voice search which I'm not bothered about)

Quad core, 1gb ram 8gb storage, 1080p streaming.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…5c6
Community Updates
AskAmazon Fire Stick
15 Comments
I've had a look at it on YouTube and it does look a lot quicker than the old one.

May be tempted to replace my one in the living room and put the old one in the bedroom TV.
I got the quad core one when it came out in September it's noticeably better, for Kodi anyway
Original Poster
AStonedRaichu

I got the quad core one when it came out in September it's noticeably … I got the quad core one when it came out in September it's noticeably better, for Kodi anyway

I wasn't sure, but sounds like it will be a good upgrade for the main TV, I'll get on I think.
Seems a flaw to do away with the dinky remote - I love that guy - and replace it with a larger guy. Saying that, if said sticks performance is greatly improved over the 'old' model, I'll likely make the upgrade.
Still a terrible choice if your main use is Kodi.

When I had mine it's only use was kodi. Did you have terrible trouble getting yours to work ok?

dcx_badass

Edited by: "androidavis" 21st Feb 2017
dcx_badass

​Why was that?

Just curious as I may eventually be getting another stick.

Thanks Mark.
Dragon32

​Why was that? Just curious as I may eventually be getting another stick. … ​Why was that? Just curious as I may eventually be getting another stick. Thanks Mark.

Because you can get a box with twice as much ram for the same price!
You are better off buying the fire tv 4k enabled plenty of offers around on it
androidavis

When I had mine it's only use was kodi. Did you have terrible trouble … When I had mine it's only use was kodi. Did you have terrible trouble getting yours to work ok?

Dragon32

​Why was that? Just curious as I may eventually be getting another stick. … ​Why was that? Just curious as I may eventually be getting another stick. Thanks Mark.

Kodi doesn't run well on Android on any platform (although the Shield is a bit better). You're missing out on proper display rate switching (smoother playback), proper surround sound support (although I believe this has improved a little with Kodi 17), and generally the whole thing runs much slower due to the Android bloat.

You want an AMLogic device with LibreElec support which is a stripped down OS designed for Kodi. So for example Android + Kodi on the home screen will generally use 600mb+ of ram easy. Same thing on LibreElec and it's on 120mb ram used, and that's ignoring the cpu usage etc. Basically LibreElec has direct access to the hardware rather than going via android and the restrictions that come with that.

The fire has some advantages if using Netflix/Amazon Prime, but if Kodi is your main use then you can get an S905X/2GB ram box for around £25 (then add about £5 for a decent microsd card to run LibreElec from) and it will run considerably better, faster, smoother for media playback (and the interface).

Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Feb 2017
dcx_badass

Kodi doesn't run well on Android on any platform (although the Shield is … Kodi doesn't run well on Android on any platform (although the Shield is a bit better). You're missing out on proper display rate switching (smoother playback), proper surround sound support (although I believe this has improved a little with Kodi 17), and generally the whole thing runs much slower due to the Android bloat.You want an AMLogic device with LibreElec support which is a stripped down OS designed for Kodi. So for example Android + Kodi on the home screen will generally use 600mb+ of ram easy. Same thing on LibreElec and it's on 120mb ram used, and that's ignoring the cpu usage etc. Basically LibreElec has direct access to the hardware rather than going via android and the restrictions that come with that.The fire has some advantages if using Netflix/Amazon Prime, but if Kodi is your main use then you can get an S905X/2GB ram box for around £25 (then add about £5 for a decent microsd card to run LibreElec from) and it will run considerably better, faster, smoother for media playback (and the interface).

​Just wondering if it's just as easy to run as on the Firestick as my wife may be using it sometimes when I'm not around.

Thanks for the reply.
Dragon32

​Just wondering if it's just as easy to run as on the Firestick as my w … ​Just wondering if it's just as easy to run as on the Firestick as my wife may be using it sometimes when I'm not around. Thanks for the reply.

It's even easier as the box boots straight to Kodi, rather than you opening it as an Android app.
dcx_badass

It's even easier as the box boots straight to Kodi, rather than you … It's even easier as the box boots straight to Kodi, rather than you opening it as an Android app.

​Ok.

Thanks for that I'll have to have a look into it.
Mere mortals will never get libreelec going. It is still beta. Pay your £35 and get something tried and tested
dcx_badass

Kodi doesn't run well on Android on any platform (although the Shield is … Kodi doesn't run well on Android on any platform (although the Shield is a bit better). You're missing out on proper display rate switching (smoother playback), proper surround sound support (although I believe this has improved a little with Kodi 17), and generally the whole thing runs much slower due to the Android bloat.You want an AMLogic device with LibreElec support which is a stripped down OS designed for Kodi. So for example Android + Kodi on the home screen will generally use 600mb+ of ram easy. Same thing on LibreElec and it's on 120mb ram used, and that's ignoring the cpu usage etc. Basically LibreElec has direct access to the hardware rather than going via android and the restrictions that come with that.The fire has some advantages if using Netflix/Amazon Prime, but if Kodi is your main use then you can get an S905X/2GB ram box for around £25 (then add about £5 for a decent microsd card to run LibreElec from) and it will run considerably better, faster, smoother for media playback (and the interface).

Kodi 17 fixes the refresh rate on firesticks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions