Is the Pepper Programme any benefit to HUKD users?

Posted 19th Dec 2018
Not very impressed with a sea of re-posted "deals" from what looks like a cohort of unpaid (and unimaginative) re-posters. Mostly from Amazon and what isn't looks like Offer of the Day material.

How is this improving the HUKD experience? Not at all, IMHO.

The beauty of HUKD is that the listings are made by indeviduals who personally think they have found a bargain. We may/may not agree and vote accordingly.

If this site degenerates into a commercial promotion programme for Bezos and co. I'll be off somewhere else.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
You need to realise that this website isn’t a deals website, it’s an advertisement website. The public put out the advertisements, and it’s funded through affiliate programs. Think about that and decide if you want to stay or leave, it’s a business at the end of the day.
deleted701517
The Pepper 'experts' get paid.
Dannyrobbo19/12/2018 10:13

You need to realise that this website isn’t a deals website, it’s an adv …You need to realise that this website isn’t a deals website, it’s an advertisement website. The public put out the advertisements, and it’s funded through affiliate programs. Think about that and decide if you want to stay or leave, it’s a business at the end of the day.

I get that HUKD is a commercial website and so makes money by the referrals, what I object to is a bunch of 'paid' or 'unpaid' stringers rehashing loads of stuff which is already on other aggregating websites or from the daily deluge from Amazon.

One of the the HUKD posting rules was/is that you can't self-promote a product. If HUKD is using the Peppers to increase the the listings of products sold by those that pay the most referral money, that is a form of legitimised self promotion. At the very least it is disingenious.
36586191-IffR9.jpg
airbus33056 m ago

I get that HUKD is a commercial website and so makes money by the …I get that HUKD is a commercial website and so makes money by the referrals, what I object to is a bunch of 'paid' or 'unpaid' stringers rehashing loads of stuff which is already on other aggregating websites or from the daily deluge from Amazon.One of the the HUKD posting rules was/is that you can't self-promote a product. If HUKD is using the Peppers to increase the the listings of products sold by those that pay the most referral money, that is a form of legitimised self promotion. At the very least it is disingenious.

I totally agree with you, butIts a like it or lump it sort of situation.
If I had a pound for every time I heard this sort of argument...
How to people on the pepper expert program get paid? Can someone give me an end to end example of the process?
So I’ve got a bit of a sneaking suspicion that Pepper is gaming the system. If we use as an example that user that has a thing about posting Amazon deals (not mentioning any names). They post outside of UK hours and are constantly posting deals. The only sensible reason is they’re trying to drive Amazon purchases through HUKD to game the affiliate payment. So that’s why we’re being spammed with the Amazon crud.

And I’m timing it to see when this comment / discussion is removed.
Edited by: "davetothemac" 19th Dec 2018
deleted1923104
Other deal websites are available.
deleted733638
deleted192310419/12/2018 17:11

Other deal websites are available.

It’s that kind of attitude that will end this site
deleted73363819/12/2018 18:35

It’s that kind of attitude that will end this site

So - given the recent changes, they will probably bring it on themselves anyway.

And ultimately "Pepper" or not, the individual decides whether the post is a deal or not!
@airbus330 You guys are aware that Amazon is not paying hotukdeals, right? So the theory falls apart there quite quickly. If we were trying to make more money through this, we would be failing miserably The very idea behind the experts programme is to enable passionate deal-hunter to actually spend more time dealhunting and finding great deals for the community. Hotukdeals is now 14 years old - an absolute internet dinosaur. So many websites have come and gone in the meantime, we believe we often take decisions with a very long term apporach, so hurting the community for short term monetary benefits are defintily not in our interest, because we want to run this site for at least another 14 years.
@magnetkopf I don’t want to get into handbags with a member of the Pepper team. I use the site and I like the site. However, I feel you are being disingenuous with your reply. Your Amazon links go through digidip so are you suggesting you don’t actually receive any commission for Amazon purchases that user’s click through and purchase?

Now I don’t have a problem with HUKD making money through my purchases, I don’t expect you to run a business for nothing. However, certain users are spamming the site for all intents and purpose and the one that irritates me in particular is your Amazon ‘expert’ who just constantly spams with the deals of the day. Give me an option to mute their deals and you make me happy.
Yes, i am saying that. We are getting nothing from Amazon (and to be formally correct - also nothing from digidip for Amazon, not trying to get out of a technicality here). In general we do not take any influence on experts what they post, even if we were paid by Amazon (which we are not). I hope that makes it clearer. Definitly not trying to be disingenuous here.
Edited by: "magnetkopf" 28th Dec 2018
magnetkopf56 m ago

Yes, i am saying that. We are getting nothing from Amazon (and to be …Yes, i am saying that. We are getting nothing from Amazon (and to be formally correct - also nothing from digidip for Amazon, not trying to get out of a technicality here). In general we do not take any influence on experts what they post, even if we were paid by Amazon (which we are not). I hope that makes it clearer. Definitly not trying to be disingenuous here.

Okay, well thank you for responding and clarifying that. A way to mute specific user’s deals would help as well.
magnetkopf28/12/2018 12:27

@airbus330 You guys are aware that Amazon is not paying hotukdeals, …@airbus330 You guys are aware that Amazon is not paying hotukdeals, right? So the theory falls apart there quite quickly. If we were trying to make more money through this, we would be failing miserably The very idea behind the experts programme is to enable passionate deal-hunter to actually spend more time dealhunting and finding great deals for the community. Hotukdeals is now 14 years old - an absolute internet dinosaur. So many websites have come and gone in the meantime, we believe we often take decisions with a very long term apporach, so hurting the community for short term monetary benefits are defintily not in our interest, because we want to run this site for at least another 14 years.

Thanks for your input. I can't really take your comments seriously as from your profile you have only been a member since 2016 and have not posted any deals.
airbus33028/12/2018 15:01

Thanks for your input. I can't really take your comments seriously as from …Thanks for your input. I can't really take your comments seriously as from your profile you have only been a member since 2016 and have not posted any deals.

I am actually the founder of the german business mydealz.de (the german counterpart of hotukdeals) - this is my profile over there mydealz.de/pro…min

@juliet_bravo can confirm
magnetkopf40 m ago

I am actually the founder of the german business mydealz.de (the german …I am actually the founder of the german business mydealz.de (the german counterpart of hotukdeals) - this is my profile over there https://www.mydealz.de/profile/admin@juliet_bravo can confirm

Thanks for clarifying your identity, although why you didn't do so in your initial reply is puzzling. It is actually quite nice to think that the bosses of HUKD take the time to read our questions.

If you re-read my Question, I did not accuse HUKD of taking any money from Amazon. HUKD is perfectly entitled to make money from whatever mechanism exists for it to do so. I assume (but do not know or care) that a referral fee is paid by some (how many I do not know or care) websites. Whatever the business model, it clearly makes money for it's owners and that is also fine.

The following statement that you made "enable passionate deal-hunter to actually spend more time dealhunting and finding great deals for the community" completely justifies my initial objection to the Pepper project. I like the amateurishness of HUKD. It is the very fact that the general public takes the time to help out his/her fellow consumers, that makes HUKD a community rather than just an advertising platform. The fact that the initial deals that I saw which were posted by Pepper contributors appeared to be largely from Amazon, a company which currently has a poor and falling public image, underlines my objections. If you lose the quirkiness, you'll lose the the users. At least in the UK.

At the end of the day, it is your 'train set'. I would have a look at what happened to the Motley Fool financial website when they went more commercial. I good proportion of the community who had contributed to their forums for years just went elsewhere. (actually had to, as MF closed down the forums eventually!).

All the best for 2019.
Sorry for that, you are right, it is not really clear. I assumed the "Pepper.com" Badge might be official enough, but yes, it could be clearer and i should have. Although we are quite big by now, its still run like a small business, so i would say Juliet is the real boss here
I understand what you are saying and for that reason we tried to stress as much as possible that the deal hunters are actually not influenced by us (or actually by any other brand or shop) - they actually sign an agreement for that. As you can imagine im not a big Amazon Fan either. Business-wise for obvious reasons but also privately i try to stay away from Amazon as long term they will destroy - not only the UK - retailers and thus decrease competition and with that also prices will go up. The reality though is that they offer a fantastic customer service and have tons of great offers, people love them (i agree it starts to change but if you look at their raw numbers (NPS, revenue, etc.) they are doing great (SPECIFICALLY compared to other UK retailers) and thus a fair amount of deals on hotukdeals is also from Amazon. Actually 33.5% of all e-Commerce in the UK goes through Amazon (in the US its already 50% (only a matter of time)). And although i havent dug through the stats, im pretty sure not every 3rd deal on hotukdeals is from Amazon, so technically they are actually underrepresented.
magnetkopf13 m ago

Sorry for that, you are right, it is not really clear. I assumed the …Sorry for that, you are right, it is not really clear. I assumed the "Pepper.com" Badge might be official enough, but yes, it could be clearer and i should have. Although we are quite big by now, its still run like a small business, so i would say Juliet is the real boss here I understand what you are saying and for that reason we tried to stress as much as possible that the deal hunters are actually not influenced by us (or actually by any other brand or shop) - they actually sign an agreement for that. As you can imagine im not a big Amazon Fan either. Business-wise for obvious reasons but also privately i try to stay away from Amazon as long term they will destroy - not only the UK - retailers and thus decrease competition and with that also prices will go up. The reality though is that they offer a fantastic customer service and have tons of great offers, people love them (i agree it starts to change but if you look at their raw numbers (NPS, revenue, etc.) they are doing great (SPECIFICALLY compared to other UK retailers) and thus a fair amount of deals on hotukdeals is also from Amazon. Actually 33.5% of all e-Commerce in the UK goes through Amazon (in the US its already 50% (only a matter of time)). And although i havent dug through the stats, im pretty sure not every 3rd deal on hotukdeals is from Amazon, so technically they are actually underrepresented.

Yes, it would seem that we are in agreement. Amazon is an attractively painted tank that has parked itself on the UK High Street and is busily blowing our retailers to pieces. HMV today, after nearly 100 years in business.

I am sure that you will be closely monitoring the deals posted by Pepper usernames and I hope you can encourage them to post varied deals from as many outlets as possible. Perhaps they could be rewarded for this. It is up to us, as consumers, to buy our goods at as many outlets as possible, otherwise we will end up with a virtual monopoly where only Mr Bezos will be the winner.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants