Is the postman at fault here?

58 replies
Found 10th Sep 2009
My sister in law had a package delivered today by the postman. It was too big to get through the letterbox (it was a dress) so rather than take it back to the sorting office the postie delivered the dress through an open window into the lounge.

Problem is that my sister in laws doberman was in the lounge and turned the dress into strips of home made rags! The postman put the parcel through the window that was just on top of the huge 'Beware of doberman' sign, so he must've seen it.

She's off to Royal Mail tomorrow to speak to them and ask for compensation. Does she have a case?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
58 Comments

Banned

Im sure there was a thread like this not to long ago...

she has a case

yes.....

if it had gone through the letter box,would the dog have left it alone?

Banned

DangerGod;6261269

Im sure there was a thread like this not to long ago...

LOL Similar... the other one was more a case of the postman entering the house and seeing the occupant naked. (Or have I just made that up?)

just as well she wasnt naked watching telly

boothy;6261291

if it had gone through the letter box,would the dog have left it alone?

Soem have their doors shut or like me a safety gate :-D

If people keep complaining about things like these the postmen are going to become so inflexible, and it will be more hassle for people to get their items. If it were a cheap dress i wouldnt bother

why was the window open anyway ?

postman are damned whatever they do on here

guv;6261297

LOL Similar... the other one was more a case of the postman entering the … LOL Similar... the other one was more a case of the postman entering the house and seeing the occupant naked. (Or have I just made that up?)

you made up the naked bit lol

guv;6261297

LOL Similar... the other one was more a case of the postman entering the … LOL Similar... the other one was more a case of the postman entering the house and seeing the occupant naked. (Or have I just made that up?)

You have made that up, well half of it

queenlush;6261368

you made up the naked bit lol

you beat me to it queen

Marina;6261371

You have made that up, well half of it

lol snap

it was better than leaving it outside in the rain, next to your back door on full view of every passer by which has happened to me loads of times, he was only trying his best.

You can't expect someone to just except the loss of a dress just because the postman was "only doing his best" it's not fair. I would definitely complain and demand the cost refunded.

ChipSticks;6261487

You can't expect someone to just except the loss of a dress just because … You can't expect someone to just except the loss of a dress just because the postman was "only doing his best" it's not fair. I would definitely complain and demand the cost refunded.

No i guess if it happened to me i would feel the same, but he didn't know they had a shredder dog. But as the window was open maybe he presumed they were around and didn't hear him knock.

queenlush;6261522

No i guess if it happened to me i would feel the same, but he didn't know … No i guess if it happened to me i would feel the same, but he didn't know they had a shredder dog. But as the window was open maybe he presumed they were around and didn't hear him knock.

lol @ shredder dog. Love you Gertie x x

ChipSticks;6261487

You can't expect someone to just except the loss of a dress just because … You can't expect someone to just except the loss of a dress just because the postman was "only doing his best" it's not fair. I would definitely complain and demand the cost refunded.

Good point but i assume the postman must have knocked on the door or rang the door bell so if no-one was in why was the window open. Also depends on item if it required signitaure or not cause if its just a normal package then it has to be delivered as they can't leave a card for something that doesn't require a signature

I would like to know is their another side to this story? Also no dog should randomly attack items period. Get dog training with the compensation otherwise a day soon that dog might be on the news for mauling a baby.

Was the postman at fault for destroying the dress - No, the dog was
Was the postman wasting your time by sending it back to the depo - No, he's doing you a favour

Personally i would just have a quick word next time, postmen often bend the rules to save you hassle eg. sign a recorded parcel themselves when you arent in. If you start dobbing them in for doing it they'll just become strict to the rules and will end up costing you more time

rocko5000;6261537

Good point but i assume the postman must have knocked on the door or rang … Good point but i assume the postman must have knocked on the door or rang the door bell so if no-one was in why was the window open. Also depends on item if it required signitaure or not cause if its just a normal package then it has to be delivered as they can't leave a card for something that doesn't require a signature

They can ...i have had to collect stuff that was too big to fit through the letter box, required no signature God Bless Ann Summers lol

ClarityofMind;6261534

lol @ shredder dog. Love you Gertie x x

Our Rottie ate a cheque for £700 once ...not the posties fault...we had to put one of those cage things behind the letterbox.

rather than moan on the internet about a helpful postman I'd be googling for a decent dog trainer before the next thing the dog rips to shreds is a small kid.

You sometimes can't do right for doing wrong :?

Few month ago the post man threw a parcel over the gate (~ 2.5m high wall & steel gate at the entrance), to save me having to go to the delivery office to collect it - which I though was very nice of him.

Unfortunately the Canon flatbed scanner (one of those super slim ones that's barely the size of an A4 sheet of paper) in it didn't survive. Plenty of bubble wrap and everything, just too much of a drop.

You are dammed if you and if you don't.... I think they should stick to their regs, they are there for a reason.

rocko5000;6261537

Good point but i assume the postman must have knocked on the door or rang … Good point but i assume the postman must have knocked on the door or rang the door bell so if no-one was in why was the window open. Also depends on item if it required signitaure or not cause if its just a normal package then it has to be delivered as they can't leave a card for something that doesn't require a signature

I think you'll find they can - many a time i've had something returned to the sorting office because it was 'too big to fit through the letterbox'

Aquatic;6261755

I think you'll find they can - many a time i've had something returned to … I think you'll find they can - many a time i've had something returned to the sorting office because it was 'too big to fit through the letterbox'

oy i said that lol

Banned

guv;6261297

Yeh something like that lol

renown;6261688

You sometimes can't do right for doing wrong :?

That saying always confuses me... it's like the knot with only one end lol x

Banned

Seems like the postie is obliged to deliver to the notified address. In this instance, he's delivered it and shouldn't be held responsible for what goes on inside the house. If it was me, I wouldn't complain. If I was your postie, I'd be pretty upset.

Just my personal view on the matter, although I should be biased against posties. Got a recently retired one next door. Can't help himself, still gets up at the crack of dawn, but now does gardening, repairs. Mostly at unsociable hours.

o no thats not aloud he should of either knocked on neighbours house then posted a note to say where it was or hid it sum where and left a note,she has a case she will just have to prove it was posted through the window are there any witnesses ?

Banned

guv;6261297

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Original Poster

ants97;6261684

rather than moan on the internet about a helpful postman I'd be googling … rather than moan on the internet about a helpful postman I'd be googling for a decent dog trainer before the next thing the dog rips to shreds is a small kid.

Moan? Erm, don't think I did, I simply asked if anyone knew the legal position my sister in law was in.

Google for a dog trainer? Why would I do that? I don't have a dog, my sister in law does. I was seeing if I could gather some information for her when she goes down the post office tomorrow.

Ripping to shreds a small kid? Christ on a bike! A dog rips a dress like many dogs like chewing things and all of a sudden it's a child killer! Maybe my brothers shih-tzu should be put down as it chewed a shoe the other week.

Banned

Not really the legal position you/your sister should be querying. Try looking at the morality of it.

Unless the postman was eating the dress himself you need to leave him alone

He has done his job by delivery the item to the address stated on the parcel, he has no obligation to protect to the item once its inside the house. Just because he delivered it through a window makes very little difference, the dog would've still torn it apart.

Close thread

Scouser78;6261839

Moan? Erm, don't think I did, I simply asked if anyone knew the legal … Moan? Erm, don't think I did, I simply asked if anyone knew the legal position my sister in law was in.Google for a dog trainer? Why would I do that? I don't have a dog, my sister in law does. I was seeing if I could gather some information for her when she goes down the post office tomorrow.Ripping to shreds a small kid? Christ on a bike! A dog rips a dress like many dogs like chewing things and all of a sudden it's a child killer! Maybe my brothers shih-tzu should be put down as it chewed a shoe the other week.

A well trained and happy fully grown dog shouldn't rip anything to shreds.

Banned

my postie always puts mine through window if its open thank gawd, trying to get through for a redelivery is a nightmare

Scouser78;6261839

Moan? Erm, don't think I did, I simply asked if anyone knew the legal … Moan? Erm, don't think I did, I simply asked if anyone knew the legal position my sister in law was in.Google for a dog trainer? Why would I do that? I don't have a dog, my sister in law does. I was seeing if I could gather some information for her when she goes down the post office tomorrow.Ripping to shreds a small kid? Christ on a bike! A dog rips a dress like many dogs like chewing things and all of a sudden it's a child killer! Maybe my brothers shih-tzu should be put down as it chewed a shoe the other week.

well tell your sister then, you came on here asking advice, I gave it.

A well trained dog won't just go about ripping or chewing whatever it fancies, again as well as getting the doberman trained I'd it tell your bro to get the shih-tzu trained while he's there :thumbsup:

ClarityofMind;6261814

That saying always confuses me... it's like the knot with only one end … That saying always confuses me... it's like the knot with only one end lol x

You allway's confuse me :? How are ya Dave :whistling:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?89
    2. word association Game74244939
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    4. Add one, leave one game54415485

See more discussions