Is the samung upgrade programme worth it?

Found 28th Feb 2016
Hi,

I'm a regular customer of Samsung and always buy their new Galaxy phones starting from the S2. I was wondering whether anyone knows if the new Samsung upgrade programme is worth it. I can afford to buy the new Samsung phone outright (always buy pay as you go) as I have a sim only contract. I see it like this, I buy the phone, and then sell it a year later for half the price I bought it. With this I would be paying £25.50 odd a month, and the phone will be replaced every year when a new model comes out. You also receive a VR headset. I am also aware about the 0% interest offer for a day when paying by Paypal but not sure if the two can coincide.

Thanks in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

No the 0% paypal credit is separate from the samsung upgrade option

Original Poster

jco83

No the 0% paypal credit is separate from the samsung upgrade option

Thanks for that :).

yuiodf

Thanks for that :).

Welcome

The 0% PayPal option is a better deal.

misterleoni

Why?

ipswich78

Why?

Because there is no guarantee that the monthly payments will be the same next year if you upgrade, they don't make it abundantly clear what sort of condition your handset has to be in to qualify for extending for another two years, you have to give them the exact same handset back to qualify for an upgrade (not sure how that would work if you lost your handset and got it replaced on your insurance) and it only says the upgrade is valid for the first year, so it's unlikely you'll be able to do this for the next handset in line after the S8.

I think the PayPal option is a better deal simply because you pay no interest whatsoever, it helps break down the costs to make it affordable and there are no uncertainties.

Effectively you are renting/leasing the handset, first year £250 and if they accept you're handset back (no guarantee and they are tight on condition, only 2 light scuff or scratches etc.) you are allowed to have a another phone (probably S8) at retail cost, spread over 24 months, 15% APR for the 1st year, Apr on years 2 and 3 not stated so could be higher.

So taking the unknowns for year 2 and 3 and that you are paying interest I would say that the 0% offer is better. At least you are not then risking the unknowns in years 2 and 3 i.e. acceptance of return, % interest, cost of new phone at beginning year 2.

Terms link below

shop.samsung.com/uk/…pdf
Edited by: "Argoj" 29th Feb 2016

Banned

hey free purchases credit card is much batter than this, if you can get this you can get a credit card as well.

Original Poster

misterleoni

misterleoni

Argoj

Effectively you are renting/leasing the handset, first year £250 and if … Effectively you are renting/leasing the handset, first year £250 and if they accept you're handset back (no guarantee and they are tight on condition, only 2 light scuff or scratches etc.) you are allowed to have a another phone (probably S8) at retail cost, spread over 24 months, 15% APR for the 1st year, Apr on years 2 and 3 not stated so could be higher. So taking the unknowns for year 2 and 3 and that you are paying interest I would say that the 0% offer is better. At least you are not then risking the unknowns in years 2 and 3 i.e. acceptance of return, % interest, cost of new phone at beginning year 2. Terms link belowhttps://shop.samsung.com/uk/assets/samsung/pdf/sup/samsung-upgrade-programme-terms.pdf

Thanks guys, you've really cleared it up for me. I'm thinking of getting the 0% interest deal now but only if they give freebies like they did last year otherwise I will just hang onto my s6 edge for the moment and wait for the s7 edge to drop in price. Only concern is that I have a 128gb version of the s6 edge and that has drastically dropped in price, and will continue to do so.

Original Poster

Simpleminded

hey free purchases credit card is much batter than this, if you can get … hey free purchases credit card is much batter than this, if you can get this you can get a credit card as well.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not a big fan of credit cards as I don't want to become dependant on them. Cheers though

yuiodf

Thanks guys, you've really cleared it up for me. I'm thinking of getting … Thanks guys, you've really cleared it up for me. I'm thinking of getting the 0% interest deal now but only if they give freebies like they did last year otherwise I will just hang onto my s6 edge for the moment and wait for the s7 edge to drop in price. Only concern is that I have a 128gb version of the s6 edge and that has drastically dropped in price, and will continue to do so.

Why not just stick with it? Is there really anything particularly amazing about this upgrade vs your S6E? That's still a nice device.

Banned

yuiodf

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not a big fan of credit cards as I don't … Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not a big fan of credit cards as I don't want to become dependant on them. Cheers though

its all about self control but its always good to avoid them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions