Is the sharing of O2 Priority screen shots OK or is it unfair to actual O2 customers?

Found 13th Jan 2014
I raised my concerns on code sharing on a thread posted earlier today:

hotukdeals.com/fre…e=2

I'm only posting the link as I made lots of points that will take too long to type out again (I'm not posting the link to point a finger at anyone in particular).

I tried to discourage the sharing of the O2 Priortiy moments codes as I think it will evenutally be harmfull to actual O2 customers who will all lose out should O2 and the other retailers decide it is no longer viable due to the abuse of the offers.

I got a bit of a telling off for viewing my opinions and questioning morals. And was advised to post here instead if I wanted to get general viewpoints.

I realise on a deal site I am probably in a minority, but as a paying customer of a provider who offers rewards to it's customers I find it annoying that non customers are so easliy allowed to take advantage of those offers. Also resulting in genuine customers not being able to claim the offers they are entitled to becasue non customers have snapped them up.

I see a similar thing happen with the sky cinema tickets where people are caliming the free tickets and then giving them away on here to non sky customers and then genuine sky customers in the same area are unable to claim.

I suppose this opens up a wider question that should you claim a freebie if you have no intention of using it.

Some will see it as being charitable, others will think it is quite selfish. I personally err to the latter as I pay over a thousand pounds a year for Sky and my mobile service, so why should I lose out on customer offers to non customers?

As a deal hunter, should I leave my morals at the door and just look out for myself, or am I right to consider others and not be greedy?

I'm sure there will be mixed responses on this from both sides, and that is what I want. I want to evoke a discussion and am genuinely interested to read what others have to say on the matter.
Community Updates
64 Comments
O2 should make it harder to get the rewards app anyway.. All you have to do is have an unlocked phone, get a free PAYG sim card, download the app, and go back to your normal provider.. I'm with vodafone and still have access to the app
Edited by: "winifer" 13th Jan 2014
Is it a one off code?

Like if I had a code, didn't want whatever it got me so I could give it to someone else, if they used it then I couldn't then change my mind and use it?
winifer

O2 should make it harder to get the rewards app anyway.. All you have to … O2 should make it harder to get the rewards app anyway.. All you have to do is have an unlocked phone, get a free PAYG sim card, download the app, and go back to your normal provider.. I'm with vodafone and still have access to the app

I think that is an important point. I suppose if a loophole is there it will get abused.

In my local area you would never get away with a screen shot. They all look at the phones very closely and make sure you are entitled to the offer. Which is great, at least I know in my area it's mostly the O2 customers claiming the offers.
Edited by: "Denziloshamen" 13th Jan 2014
scottishredheadedlassie

http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/free-virgin-active-day-pass-with-o2-app-1768834#post20340405http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/s-back-again-10-off-no-minimum-spend-fragrance-shop-with-02-priority-moments-instore-1752824#post20154997http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/s-back-again-10-off-no-minimum-spend-fragrance-shop-with-02-priority-moments-instore-1752824?page=4#post20183185http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/s-back-again-10-off-no-minimum-spend-fragrance-shop-with-02-priority-moments-instore-1752824?page=5#post20183641

That doesn't contribute to the discussion. just because it is happening doesn't make it right. if you are able to explain why it is Ok then fine.
sancho1983

Is it a one off code? Like if I had a code, didn't want whatever it got … Is it a one off code? Like if I had a code, didn't want whatever it got me so I could give it to someone else, if they used it then I couldn't then change my mind and use it?

It is a one off code allcated to each customer. They used to be generic and sharing was rife and the app got pulled for a short while whilst they made it more fool proof. The codes are now single use only, accompanied by an animated logo (although I'm told the blackberry version of the app does not have the animated logo, I have no way of checking if that is the case although it would be stange for O2 to not have the same requirement in allversions of the app).

if you give the code away then you couldn;t use it yoursefl. You have a window of around 15 minutes to two hours to claim the offer once activated on your phone.
I think that the animated logo makes it easier to ensure the offer is going to an O2 user (although its not foolproof as winifer points out) but I had an O2 phone which I could only use on wifi so generally no internet access when out and about. If I couldn't use a screenshot then I couldn't claim the offer, even as a genuine O2 customer.
Butterbean

I think that the animated logo makes it easier to ensure the offer is … I think that the animated logo makes it easier to ensure the offer is going to an O2 user (although its not foolproof as winifer points out) but I had an O2 phone which I could only use on wifi so generally no internet access when out and about. If I couldn't use a screenshot then I couldn't claim the offer, even as a genuine O2 customer.

I'm pretty much the same. I don't tend to use mobile network as I have a small allowance.
Denziloshamen

It is a one off code allcated to each customer. They used to be generic … It is a one off code allcated to each customer. They used to be generic and sharing was rife and the app got pulled for a short while whilst they made it more fool proof. The codes are now single use only, accompanied by an animated logo (although I'm told the blackberry version of the app does not have the animated logo, I have no way of checking if that is the case although it would be stange for O2 to not have the same requirement in allversions of the app).if you give the code away then you couldn;t use it yoursefl. You have a window of around 15 minutes to two hours to claim the offer once activated on your phone.

Most of the codes aren't unique. O2, cafe nero and fragrance shop are unique, nearly all others arent. Whsmiths uses the same code for everyone
They didnt pull the app, app always get updated.
It hasnt been made more full proof it used to have flashing dots
and i dont believe the blackberry thing

But i agree with the main point

Edited by: "davidian84" 13th Jan 2014
Butterbean

I think that the animated logo makes it easier to ensure the offer is … I think that the animated logo makes it easier to ensure the offer is going to an O2 user (although its not foolproof as winifer points out) but I had an O2 phone which I could only use on wifi so generally no internet access when out and about. If I couldn't use a screenshot then I couldn't claim the offer, even as a genuine O2 customer.

The signal in my area is pretty crappy too and I think it is ironic that these offers are given in areas where a lot of customers are unable to claim the legitimately. If O2 are going to offer these deals then they should be in an area with a good enough signal in the first place.

The only occasion it has been OK for me to use a screen print is at our local Hotel Choclat as they are in a dead area, Just over the road from them is a Nero with free wifi that you can get on to and get the app to work and the code to appear. They allow you to take a screen shot then, but only if you have been in the shop before you try to claim and tell them you have the app and can't get a signal. They pretty much always watch me hop across the street and hop back over a few minutes later. They do check to see I have the app and that I am an O2 customer though.
davidian84

Most of the codes aren't unique. O2, cafe nero and fragrance shop are … Most of the codes aren't unique. O2, cafe nero and fragrance shop are unique, nearly all others arent. Whsmiths uses the same code for everyoneThey didnt pull the app, app always get updated.It hasnt been made more full proof it used to have flashing dotsand i dont believe the blackberry thingBut i agree with the main point

I find the WHSmiths codes are all unique now, although they never used to be. It used to be if you couldn;t get the app to work they just put the deal through the till anyway as they saw you had the app but were struggling with it and it was the same generic code. It's been about a year now the codes have all been unique and I imagine this was due to the amount of abuse the offers were open to.

In fact I've not come across an offer recently that uses a generic code. The most frequent offers I can use in my area are:

WHSmiths
Cafe Nero
Hotel Chocolat
Halfords
Game

All use unique codes of recent.
I sort of see your point ref missing out yourself however if there is only one code per person and that person offers it to another person then it surely acts as though the original person had used it hence not effectively making anyone lose out except perhaps on the basis of probability of use.

Equally if someone registers an 02 PAYG SIM then in the eyes of 02 they are still a customer and equally as entitled to such benefits. You can bet your last penny that 02 will count them as such when counting their numbers of subscribers for any company rankings etc.

Finally do you think 02 show you any loyalty in sharing your data with other companies? Sharing some of their data seems to carry an element of devine retribution to me
Denziloshamen

I find the WHSmiths codes are all unique now, although they never used to … I find the WHSmiths codes are all unique now, although they never used to be. It used to be if you couldn;t get the app to work they just put the deal through the till anyway as they saw you had the app but were struggling with it and it was the same generic code. It's been about a year now the codes have all been unique and I imagine this was due to the amount of abuse the offers were open to.In fact I've not come across an offer recently that uses a generic code. The most frequent offers I can use in my area are:WHSmithsCafe NeroHotel ChocolatHalfordsAll use unique codes of recent.

Why do you think the whsmiths codes are unique? i have checked several times and they are definitely not. Just because the code is like 3506943 doesnt mean its unique
davidian84

Why do you think the whsmiths codes are unique? i have checked several … Why do you think the whsmiths codes are unique? i have checked several times and they are definitely not. Just because the code is like 3506943 doesnt mean its unique

Because I have been stood in the queue next to someone else claiming on a number of occasions. We've all had different codes.

In the past they used to be generic but not anymore (from what I can see, unless they have multiple generic codes that randomly assign to different people).

Could anyone working in any of these shops confirm the current situation maybe?
Stu

Finally do you think 02 show you any loyalty in sharing your data with … Finally do you think 02 show you any loyalty in sharing your data with other companies? Sharing some of their data seems to carry an element of devine retribution to me

Most freebies, voucher codes, offers or competitions come with sharing your data. Its a choice you make as to whether you think a few extra e-mails is worth it for what you are getting in return.
Denziloshamen

Most freebies, voucher codes, offers or competitions come with sharing … Most freebies, voucher codes, offers or competitions come with sharing your data. Its a choice you make as to whether you think a few extra e-mails is worth it for what you are getting in return.

I agree mate, I'm not having a dig at you and neither do I currently take advantage of PM offers, I'm simply offering another point of view.
Stu

I agree mate, I'm not having a dig at you and neither do I currently take … I agree mate, I'm not having a dig at you and neither do I currently take advantage of PM offers, I'm simply offering another point of view.

I had a similar response when trying to recruit friends and family to Quidco. Many were very sceptical about handing over their personal info for the sake of cash back. They are perfectly happy to still order from the retailer they would have clicked through to for free though. There's nothing to say that retailer won't sell on your details. If it's going to happen I would rather I got cashback or something of value for free though (and it's going to happen).
davidian84

Most of the codes aren't unique. O2, cafe nero and fragrance shop are … Most of the codes aren't unique. O2, cafe nero and fragrance shop are unique, nearly all others arent. Whsmiths uses the same code for everyoneThey didnt pull the app, app always get updated.It hasnt been made more full proof it used to have flashing dotsand i dont believe the blackberry thingBut i agree with the main point

Before the flashing dots it got pulled to add the flashing dots. I'm pretty sure the current app is a new one and the old one just stopped working until the current version was released and has been updated since (from flashing dots to animated icon). I might be wrong though, I'm just going from what I think I remember.
I have no problem sharing my O2 codes.
I am entitled to the code, I spend £30/month with them.
If someone wants a code which I won't use then it's no different taking a screenshot or going in store with them to show my phone. Tbh I'd do either for a mate.
If I won't use it then it seems a shame to let it go to waste.
I also like helping others, and if it costs me nothing then great!
You can make someone's day brighter at no cost to yourself or anyone else - O2 and the retailer are happy with the promotion so no harm there.

Also, as mentioned you can get a free O2 sim, pop it in your phone to do the O2 moments verification and then use your old sim again. It's too easy to circumvent the need to be a genuine customer it must make you think why - basically it's some way beneficial for O2 and the retailers.
sickly sweet

It's too easy to circumvent the need to be a genuine customer it must … It's too easy to circumvent the need to be a genuine customer it must make you think why - basically it's some way beneficial for O2 and the retailers.

And that's my worry. O2 are going to decide one day that enough is enough, the majority of people claiming are not true customers and so they'll just pull the plug on it one day because there's nothing in it for them.

I think we all agree it's too easy to get hold of these codes and claim them. O2 need to come up with a much more secure system, but not sure what that would be.
Denziloshamen

And that's my worry. O2 are going to decide one day that enough is … And that's my worry. O2 are going to decide one day that enough is enough, the majority of people claiming are not true customers and so they'll just pull the plug on it one day because there's nothing in it for them. I think we all agree it's too easy to get hold of these codes and claim them. O2 need to come up with a much more secure system, but not sure what that would be.

But I am a true customer and how I choose to use my voucher is my prerogative .
I am happy to help someone out and the retailer is happy as they've got people through their doors.
The retailers wouldn't offer the deals if it wasn't in their best interests!!
Denziloshamen

And that's my worry. O2 are going to decide one day that enough is … And that's my worry. O2 are going to decide one day that enough is enough, the majority of people claiming are not true customers and so they'll just pull the plug on it one day because there's nothing in it for them. I think we all agree it's too easy to get hold of these codes and claim them. O2 need to come up with a much more secure system, but not sure what that would be.

Not sure how O2 would realise the codes were being used by people who weren't actual customers though? In fact I'd go as far to say sharing might actually increase the chances of the promo being extended/bettered. People not using codes may suggest apathy and a lack of interest to O2 resulting in withdrawal but as long as people are using codes...well it's all good really. Ultimately though I agree with sweets, I pay for the code and it belongs to me and I can do as I wish with it
But don't vouchers (which these are) remain the property of the promoter until claimed and the goods are in your possession? The voucher may well be yours, but it's for you and you only not for you to give away as you feel fit.

Say an offer has a limit of 10,000. There are obviously more than 10,000 O2 customers so they should be able to all be snapped up by genuine, bill paying O2 customers. If one customer doesn't want to claim that offer then it should be left for the next customer to pick up until all have run out. But if half of them get given away to non O2 customers as seems to be the case, then there are 5,000 customers who actually wanted to claim the offer,and were entitled to it, who miss out. I've had loads of offers I've wanted to claim expire as soon as I get a chance to the shop because all the codes have been used up. You may argue that I should have been quicker, but then I wouldn't need to be quicker if they weren't being abused so readily.
Denziloshamen

But don't vouchers (which these are) remain the property of the promoter … But don't vouchers (which these are) remain the property of the promoter until claimed and the goods are in your possession? The voucher may well be yours, but it's for you and you only not for you to give away as you feel fit. Say an offer has a limit of 10,000. There are obviously more than 10,000 O2 customers so they should be able to all be snapped up by genuine, bill paying O2 customers. If one customer doesn't want to claim that offer then it should be left for the next customer to pick up until all have run out. But if half of them get given away to non O2 customers as seems to be the case, then there are 5,000 customers who actually wanted to claim the offer,and were entitled to it, who miss out. I've had loads of offers I've wanted to claim expire as soon as I get a chance to the shop because all the codes have been used up. You may argue that I should have been quicker, but then I wouldn't need to be quicker if they weren't being abused so readily.

I hear what you're saying (not literally obviously :D) but as far as I'm concerned one has been snapped up by a genuine O2 bill paying customer-me. What I then choose to do with it is up to me as far as I'm concerned. Reversing your point slightly, what if out of the 10,000 only 5,000 genuine O2 bill paying customers were interested in taking up the offer. Would you rather the rest went to waste as opposed to being given away?
karri123

Not sure how O2 would realise the codes were being used by people who … Not sure how O2 would realise the codes were being used by people who weren't actual customers though? In fact I'd go as far to say sharing might actually increase the chances of the promo being extended/bettered. People not using codes may suggest apathy and a lack of interest to O2 resulting in withdrawal but as long as people are using codes...well it's all good really. Ultimately though I agree with sweets, I pay for the code and it belongs to me and I can do as I wish with it

IMO this is a silly thread. I agree with this point you are making.

I am of the opinion that it would be more selfish to not share an 02 code that you was not going to used. I'm sure 02 are happy regardless because the whole thing is about promoting other brands.

As I said silly thread and if it gets up your nose so much OP why don't you not share any of yours and let others do as they like?
Denziloshamen

But don't vouchers (which these are) remain the property of the promoter … But don't vouchers (which these are) remain the property of the promoter until claimed and the goods are in your possession? The voucher may well be yours, but it's for you and you only not for you to give away as you feel fit. Say an offer has a limit of 10,000. There are obviously more than 10,000 O2 customers so they should be able to all be snapped up by genuine, bill paying O2 customers. If one customer doesn't want to claim that offer then it should be left for the next customer to pick up until all have run out. But if half of them get given away to non O2 customers as seems to be the case, then there are 5,000 customers who actually wanted to claim the offer,and were entitled to it, who miss out. I've had loads of offers I've wanted to claim expire as soon as I get a chance to the shop because all the codes have been used up. You may argue that I should have been quicker, but then I wouldn't need to be quicker if they weren't being abused so readily.

So if I bought Ridge Racer and got an £8 touch my katamari voucher, is that voucher mine to do as I please or should I not be able to give it away?
karri123

I hear what you're saying (not literally obviously :D) but as far as I'm … I hear what you're saying (not literally obviously :D) but as far as I'm concerned one has been snapped up by a genuine O2 bill paying customer-me. What I then choose to do with it is up to me as far as I'm concerned. Reversing your point slightly, what if out of the 10,000 only 5,000 genuine O2 bill paying customers were interested in taking up the offer. Would you rather the rest went to waste as opposed to being given away?

Well, that's something we'll never quite know, but an interesting point.
Dehumanization

So if I bought Ridge Racer and got an £8 touch my katamari voucher, is … So if I bought Ridge Racer and got an £8 touch my katamari voucher, is that voucher mine to do as I please or should I not be able to give it away?

That's a money off voucher though, not a completely free item where stock will be limited. It's from an item you have bought outright and not from a monthly service you pay for. But again, another valid point (and you've clearly taken the time to go through my history to come up with your question). There are clearly some grey areas.

I think the simple point is that if something is only meant for customers who recieve a service then it shouldn't be made so easy to share. The retailers should also all be consistent in how they accept the codes and the requirements met.
tbf they may assume a certain usage percentage of these offers and base the quality of the offers on this
so it could backfire in that they could have to reduce the cost to them if too many 'users' becoems the norm?

Denziloshamen

That's a money off voucher though, not a completely free item where stock … That's a money off voucher though, not a completely free item where stock will be limited. It's from an item you have bought outright and not from a monthly service you pay for. But again, another valid point (and you've clearly taken the time to go through my history to come up with your question). There are clearly some grey areas.I think the simple point is that if something is only meant for customers who recieve a service then it shouldn't be made so easy to share. The retailers should also all be consistent in how they accept the codes and the requirements met.

But as you've already said... it's paid for regardless. What would be the difference of me going and picking up a free coffee for example (I have no idea what o2 priority give really so lets pretend a free coffee) and drinking it myself... to me picking it up and giving it to a friend because maybe I don't like coffee? Or why waste the time me even going myself when they could just go?
It's not always a 'monthly service'... 24 month contracts you can't just opt out and decide you don't want to pay for it.

When they all run out they've obviously had not enough to cover all o2 customers in the first place so the blame again lies with o2. If I go to the supermarket for something and the shelf is empty it's tough I'll have to look elsewhere for it.... your point of "I suppose this opens up a wider question that should you claim a freebie if you have no intention of using it." (which I agree with btw but I HATE clutter so unless I knew someone who'd benefit from it I wouldn't bother) ... but if you see something from o2 that you're going to use and they're oos just buy one if you would use it anyway? It's not as if they're giving away 40" tvs or anything surely oO
Checks app for free TVs.......DAMN IT!!!!
Seems a little selfish to me. What about Orange Wednesday codes? Should we close that thread as well? Have you ever used an Orange Wednesday voucher?
I use a PAYG sim I got months ago - nowhere does it say I can't use it, nor does it say I need to use O2 in order to use it. I'm on 3, used to be with O2 but signal and cost increases forced me away.
tomwatts

I use a PAYG sim I got months ago - nowhere does it say I can't use it, … I use a PAYG sim I got months ago - nowhere does it say I can't use it, nor does it say I need to use O2 in order to use it. I'm on 3, used to be with O2 but signal and cost increases forced me away.

You can't activate the app without an O2 number though. There's certainly a stupid loophole in that you don't actually have to even have that sim in the phone you activate it on, nor do you have to be on the O2 network to claim. Two very basic requirements that should be in place for an app that is supposed to be for O2 customers only.
peodude

Seems a little selfish to me. What about Orange Wednesday codes? Should … Seems a little selfish to me. What about Orange Wednesday codes? Should we close that thread as well? Have you ever used an Orange Wednesday voucher?

Nope. I'm not on orange and don't know anyone who is even if it were a possibility. Plus it's useless to us as we can't go to the cinema on a Wednesday.
Denziloshamen

You can't activate the app without an O2 number though. There's certainly … You can't activate the app without an O2 number though. There's certainly a stupid loophole in that you don't actually have to even have that sim in the phone you activate it on, nor do you have to be on the O2 network to claim. Two very basic requirements that should be in place for an app that is supposed to be for O2 customers only.

I have an O2 number - it's on a payg sim card sitting in a draw 100 miles away from me now. Simply popped the sim into an old phone - got the text, input code into my iphone and away I went.
tomwatts

I have an O2 number - it's on a payg sim card sitting in a draw 100 miles … I have an O2 number - it's on a payg sim card sitting in a draw 100 miles away from me now. Simply popped the sim into an old phone - got the text, input code into my iphone and away I went.

Yeah, I know. That's exactly what I said was daft. The app is flawed if it allows all of these workarounds to be so easy.
Denziloshamen

Yeah, I know. That's exactly what I said was daft. The app is flawed if … Yeah, I know. That's exactly what I said was daft. The app is flawed if it allows all of these workarounds to be so easy.

Do you not think that if they were actually bothered about it or thought it was losing them any money they would get that rectified though? (_;)
Dehumanization

Do you not think that if they were actually bothered about it or thought … Do you not think that if they were actually bothered about it or thought it was losing them any money they would get that rectified though? (_;)

I'm beginning to think that is the case.
sickly sweet

But I am a true customer and how I choose to use my voucher is my … But I am a true customer and how I choose to use my voucher is my prerogative . I am happy to help someone out and the retailer is happy as they've got people through their doors. The retailers wouldn't offer the deals if it wasn't in their best interests!!

exactly my point, well said sicklysweet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants