Expired

Is the word retard offensive?

Found 6th Sep 2010
I have been on various student websites and seen a huge increase in the use of this word in the last 12 months to 2 years to the point where pretty much every student on the sites use it.

I have even seen quite a few people at university use the term and its to refer to someone they dont like and/or they think cant argue that well in short basiclly anyone who isnt academically "excellent"

I never liked the word but its only been since its come into common usage that I think its hugely offensive since its basically saying anyone you dont like is well in short retarded and in their terms means useless.

What is your opinion on this.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
38 Comments

why create a thread on it if you find it offensive???

I'm more puzzled by that!!

Dont think so..

Original Poster

choc1969

why create a thread on it if you find it offensive???I'm more puzzled by … why create a thread on it if you find it offensive???I'm more puzzled by that!!

Well I find it offensive but tolerable but just. Was just really checking if its just a chance in acceptable ideas since its only recently I have noticed the word in general use and almost exclusivly with students.

I don't like it either but I think it is a phase the kids are going through at the moment.
It's fashionable to use it.
It is like spaz, mong and flid from way back.
They will grow out of it and something else will take over.

By the way, wasn't this popular in The States in the 70s and 80s.

Probably to retards....

Original Poster

Jumpingphil

I don't like it either but I think it is a phase the kids are going … I don't like it either but I think it is a phase the kids are going through at the moment.It's fashionable to use it.It is like spaz, mong and flid from way back.They will grow out of it and something else will take over.By the way, wasn't this popular in The States in the 70s and 80s.

According to a American student I know its still a slur just commonly used, it has the same impact as another word I dont know if I am allowed to type as many websites have seem to have banned it, basically the full word for a spaz which only about 2 years ago they recalled the Mario Party game over its inclusion in the UK.

Banned

DarkKnight

Probably to retards....

lol

It's only offensive to joeys

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Last 12 months? I've heard it used for the last 10 years....

Really? I have heard it in the past but its only in the last year or so that it seems commonplace to the point where it has become everyday usage to refer to something instead of just when having an argument with some bloke down the pub you dont like.

yep...............if you are one !!, as someone said previous its just another word used by ' young ones of today' ( god im getting old , lol) but yeh i can remember the terms - spaz, mong, joey, so things will never change its kids/teenagers for ya ..........wicked , lol

If someone is retarted its obviously offensive, but if it said to someone who isnt then its just a standard insult

Banned

pinkleponkle

It's only offensive to joeys

who remembers Joey Deakin ? must be from the early eighties

Flid is going round highschools at the moment - My 13 year old cousin called it me other day...

Original Poster

micoo

If someone is retarted its obviously offensive, but if it said to someone … If someone is retarted its obviously offensive, but if it said to someone who isnt then its just a standard insult

Well IMO by saying it, it is implying the person is just like someone retarted so therefore are unimportant or in other words what they say isnt as important as yourself.

It wouldnt be offensive if a retartd was someone of high intelligence its meant as an insult

Banned

Its like the youth of today referring to anything they dont like as gay!

That really makes me laugh. I remember once my mum offered my brother a packet of cheese and onion crisps, to which he replied "no way they are gay". My mum said she wasnt aware that crisps had a sexual orientation!

micoo

If someone is retarted its obviously offensive, but if it said to … If someone is retarted its obviously offensive, but if it said to someone who isnt then its just a standard insult

ryouga

It wouldnt be offensive if a retartd was someone of high intelligence its … It wouldnt be offensive if a retartd was someone of high intelligence its meant as an insult

So you consider retarded people to be unimportant?

You could make a similar case for almost any insult
Edited by: "micoo" 6th Sep 2010

mceverready

Its like the youth of today referring to anything they dont like as … Its like the youth of today referring to anything they dont like as gay!That really makes me laugh. I remember once my mum offered my brother a packet of cheese and onion crisps, to which he replied "no way they are gay". My mum said she wasnt aware that crisps had a sexual orientation!

gay story brah

Banned

I'm a retard.

mceverready

Its like the youth of today referring to anything they dont like as … Its like the youth of today referring to anything they dont like as gay!That really makes me laugh. I remember once my mum offered my brother a packet of cheese and onion crisps, to which he replied "no way they are gay". My mum said she wasnt aware that crisps had a sexual orientation!

lol, so true !! took kids for school uniform recently and according to my daughter the skirt i picked up was 'soooooooo gay ' !!! wtf !, haha, i just walked away baffled , scratching my head and trying to get my head around how a girls school skirt could be gay , !!!!!............sigh oO

Banned

micoo

gay story brah

Shut up you spazzer!

Original Poster

micoo

So you consider retarded people to be unimportant?You could make a … So you consider retarded people to be unimportant?You could make a similar case for almost any insult

I was trying to be careful what I say really in case that sort of question was asked but basically for both your quotes really its intended in the context to show inferiority because they have something "less" than yourself

So its designed to be hard hitting, as if it wasnt if you called someone a fool or an idiot it wouldnt be anywhere near as powerful.

vibeone

I'm a retard.

you would never of guessed
Edited by: "shopstilldrops" 6th Sep 2010

Original Poster

mceverready

I heard something about the term gay a few months ago, I think it was down to a radio presenter calling a object gay and got complaints from gay viewers but the response was that the word gay meant something different before it meant homosexual so therefore was taken out of context.

I think that we would now refer to someone who was disabled in some way as having 'learning difficulties' or somesuch. If you are at university and don't quite measure up then perhaps you are a waste of space, rather than a non-pc insult and drain on the nations resources.

Banned

Butterbean

I think that we would now refer to someone who was disabled in some way … I think that we would now refer to someone who was disabled in some way as having 'learning difficulties' or somesuch. If you are at university and don't quite measure up then perhaps you are a waste of space, rather than a non-pc insult and drain on the nations resources.

I suppose it depends on whether they are leg-mental or head-mental?

Banned

vibeone

I'm a retard.

QFT.

nope

although some ppl might not like it when u say retarded gaylord.

Retard is sooo 1992 - it's 'Tard' nowadays young chap....

Mallinersha

2000 and gay called, they want their word back

Original Poster

Mallinersha

Strangely I think the word R tard is used in a joking context and not as a constant insult is kinda funny, in part due to South Park but also as it feels less serious than the full word.

Banned

The Spastics Society.

ryouga

Strangely I think the word R tard is used in a joking context and not as … Strangely I think the word R tard is used in a joking context and not as a constant insult is kinda funny, in part due to South Park but also as it feels less serious than the full word.

What if you say it differently, like in The Hangover? Is it alright then as well?

Jumpingphil

I don't like it either but I think it is a phase the kids are going … I don't like it either but I think it is a phase the kids are going through at the moment.It's fashionable to use it.It is like spaz, mong and flid from way back.They will grow out of it and something else will take over.By the way, wasn't this popular in The States in the 70s and 80s.

Current in Canada and the northern USA but not as a disability slur more an anti rich kid paid for 'you think you are so great for having a car or whatever' slur; apllied to the rich and not very bright who haven't really earned their place ... but from there to 'whatever'.

Mind you , seeing you here Phil reminds me that I haven't failed yet at the daily quiz - as far as I recall.

magicbeans

although some ppl might not like it when u say retarded gaylord.

LOL probably every single person wouldn't MB!!
I think it would have to be uber-ironic and they wouldn't 'get it' !

Banned

dcx_badass

Last 12 months? I've heard it used for the last 10 years....

+1

its always been a common word. Pointless thread really.

most threads are pointless on here!! like boothy trying to solve Pakistan.

Retard is offensive in the UK.

It's used frequently in the States and isn't considered offensive.

In other words, it will soon be absorbed into our culture and accepted.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769460
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet2154
    3. Wow apple you really are bad1217
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226643

See more discussions