Expired

Is there a cheap/free MS Office version for primary school children or their parents?

Found 6th Oct 2015
A friend asked me about getting MS Office and as she has a child in primary school I’m wondering if there are potentially any cheap student deals for kids that young or their parents?
If not I might point her towards a free Office suit.
Community Updates
24 Comments
Pretty sure Google offers everything that MSOffice does through its website for free.
Try Office Libre, does pretty much everything Microsoft Office does for free.
Original Poster
People, she asked me about MS Office so I am enquiry about that.
If there are no student deals available for her I will THEN look at other options for her.
Thanks anyway.

No, don't mention it. I've got nothing else to do but try to help.

You're welcome.

EDIT: Why don't you vote your own answer as the best while you're at it?.....

.... oh, you did.
Edited by: "SJHan" 6th Oct 2015
Software4students usually around £35 and gives you the full package.
To qualify as a student they must have a email ending in .ac.uk. Im pretty sure primary schools dont offer their children an email address.
Torrent it.....
Original Poster
MichyM

To qualify as a student they must have a email ending in .ac.uk. Im … To qualify as a student they must have a email ending in .ac.uk. Im pretty sure primary schools dont offer their children an email address.

Thanks, I'll tell her to ask at school if there's anything available.
GlanzaV

https://www.openoffice.org/product/Open Office is pretty great for being … https://www.openoffice.org/product/Open Office is pretty great for being totally free!

but
but
but
it's not Microsoft Office - so the OP isn't interested at this time

someone needs a kick up the .....

or maybe, just maybe, if someone explains that some free versions of office products (non Microsoft) as named in above comments, are on par (that means same level) as Microsoft Office
Original Poster
lurch2o1

Software4students usually around £35 and gives you the full package.

No longer from what I can see but they do have Office 365 University.
Original Poster
philphil61

or maybe, just maybe, if someone explains that some free versions of … or maybe, just maybe, if someone explains that some free versions of office products (non Microsoft) as named in above comments, are on par (that means same level) as Microsoft Office

As per my original post:

"If not I might point her towards a free Office suit."
Agharta

No longer from what I can see but they do have Office 365 University.

Also, why would a primary school student need anything more than Google docs?

Is she calculating quadratics and exponential decays in excel? Perhaps she needs the publishing utilities of word for her novel.
Original Poster
thetwistedblue

Also, why would a primary school student need anything more than Google … Also, why would a primary school student need anything more than Google docs?Is she calculating quadratics and exponential decays in excel? Perhaps she needs the publishing utilities of word for her novel.

It's not for the child, keep up at the back or detention for you.
Agharta

Online versions are all free anyway - that's MICROSOFT OFFICE.
No problem - It's my pleasure (_;)
Agharta

Objection your honour!
Agharta

A friend asked me about getting MS Office and as she has a child in … A friend asked me about getting MS Office and as she has a child in primary school I’m wondering if there are potentially any cheap student deals for kids that young or their parents?

Original Poster
Thanks for the 2 useful replies. I'll get her to contact the school and it sounds as if she'll have to either buy Office at retail or try Libre etc
Bye.
Look up Microsoft home user programme! If you know someone with a work email address you get it for under £10.
tightasagnatschu

Online versions are all free anyway - that's MICROSOFT OFFICE.No problem … Online versions are all free anyway - that's MICROSOFT OFFICE.No problem - It's my pleasure (_;)

​If it's not for the child then why buy it using a student discount?

As other have said, a free version will be just as good as a Microsoft version.

While we're on the subject, anyone know an excel program I can use on my android? I can't seem to get the Microsoft version to save.
boats92

​If it's not for the child then why buy it using a student discount? As o … ​If it's not for the child then why buy it using a student discount? As other have said, a free version will be just as good as a Microsoft version. While we're on the subject, anyone know an excel program I can use on my android? I can't seem to get the Microsoft version to save.

OfficeSuite Pro. Free through Amazon Underground.
Agharta

Thanks for the 2 useful replies. I'll get her to contact the school and … Thanks for the 2 useful replies. I'll get her to contact the school and it sounds as if she'll have to either buy Office at retail or try Libre etcBye.

MS online is free - need me to translate or explain further.
Agharta

Thanks, I'll tell her to ask at school if there's anything available.

​OpenOffice is pretty dead with no real updates and new features. Libre however is really moving on so I understand. I wish oracle would hand OpenOffice back so that libre office can be renamed back to OpenOffice. Still people go for the name they know.
Schools always assume that not only does everyone have a PC but MS office and Internet too. Don't tell me it doesn't matter because when I was at college it was impossible to match the grades of those that had access to these. As I now have access to HUP it's OK, used to use OpenOffice but most things didn't open correctly.
We also have the compulsory "voluntary" contributions. Got a text the other day from my daughter as she wasn't able to do some work until we had paid, card details had been stolen and waiting for replacements. Now to top it off we have to pay hundreds of pounds for school buses for compulsory education between 16 and 18. School now wants to change the uniform and then there's the books....
MichyM

To qualify as a student they must have a email ending in .ac.uk. Im … To qualify as a student they must have a email ending in .ac.uk. Im pretty sure primary schools dont offer their children an email address.

I've never had an .ac email address, just
have to privide the school/college name.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants