Is there a limit to number of Apple ids on a device? Thanks, sorted

Found 11th MarEdited by:"juggler1"
Daughter has signed up for ( I think) 4 separate trial months of Netflix. Each time she has re-set her iPad to factory settings, made a new Apple ID, and used a different payment method. Now the iPad ( though re-set) is not letting her make a new Apple ID. Getting error message. She can make a new Apple ID on her iMac, but the iPad isn’t letting her log in to this, on the iPad. Is this really a thing? A device having a limited number of Apple ids allowed? That’d make it valueless if I ever wanted to sell it? Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
20 Comments
I don’t have an answer for the Apple ID thing, but for Netflix trials, I’d imagine you only need to use a different email address (like gmail) rather than a whole new Apple ID each time.
missy897 m ago

I don’t have an answer for the Apple ID thing, but for Netflix trials, I’d …I don’t have an answer for the Apple ID thing, but for Netflix trials, I’d imagine you only need to use a different email address (like gmail) rather than a whole new Apple ID each time.

I agree, sounds overkill to reset whole iPad and iCloud account.

there is a limit on iOS devices on how many new iCloud accounts a device can be associated with within a time period. It’s something like 5 in a month (cannot remember the exact amount).
Edited by: "mds1256" 11th Mar
Original Poster
missy891 h, 9 m ago

I don’t have an answer for the Apple ID thing, but for Netflix trials, I’d …I don’t have an answer for the Apple ID thing, but for Netflix trials, I’d imagine you only need to use a different email address (like gmail) rather than a whole new Apple ID each time.

Well, the first time she signed up, using her iPad, she let her friend use the account too, and it was then blocked. I rang Netflix and they said the reason was that an iMac and iPhone was now being used to access the account, and that they had been used as an account holder previously. Daughter hadn’t had account in her name before, so we took it that this was the friends devices, so she’s been resetting iPad. Netflix last for a month, so I’d suppose she’s resetting iPad once a month? Please correct me if I’m wrong though. Hoping I am ..
Edited by: "juggler1" 11th Mar
Original Poster
mds12561 h, 1 m ago

I agree, sounds overkill to reset whole iPad and iCloud account.there is a …I agree, sounds overkill to reset whole iPad and iCloud account.there is a limit on iOS devices on how many new iCloud accounts a device can be associated with within a time period. It’s something like 5 in a month (cannot remember the exact amount).

Well, the first time she signed up, using her iPad, she let her friend use the account too, and it was then blocked. I rang Netflix and they said the reason was that an iMac and iPhone was now being used to access the account, and that they had been used as an account holder previously. Daughter hadn’t had account in her name before, so we took it that this was the friends devices, so she’s been resetting iPad. Netflix last for a month, so I’d suppose she’s resetting iPad once a month? Please correct me if I’m wrong though, hoping I am
Seems like a load of hassle to save £2.50 per month. Just pay the £9.99 per month and split the subscription with 3 friends
Original Poster
chocci15 m ago

Seems like a load of hassle to save £2.50 per month. Just pay the £9.99 p …Seems like a load of hassle to save £2.50 per month. Just pay the £9.99 per month and split the subscription with 3 friends

4 of us live here, and it’s not an option atm
juggler12 h, 52 m ago

Split the £9.99 between the 4 of you that live there? I think I see what you’re saying, though I still think it’s unnecessary to be resetting the iPad every time. I think Netflix probably picked up on the device/IP address rather than iCloud account... I have a Netflix account that’s being shared across 2x tv’s, 3 iPads (all 3 with their own Apple ID) and 2x phones (though not all accessing at the same time) and I’ve never encountered and issue
Edited by: "missy89" 11th Mar
juggler12 h, 59 m ago

They can be split across 4 people at 4 different addresses
Original Poster
chocci4 h, 25 m ago

They can be split across 4 people at 4 different addresses

We all live at the same address and watch separately
juggler18 m ago

We all live at the same address and watch separately

So you all share the iPad to watch or all 4 of you set up free trials every month?

Surely you can find 3 friends or family members that would love to join you and only pay £2.50 per month.
Original Poster
missy894 h, 49 m ago

Split the £9.99 between the 4 of you that live there? I think I see what …Split the £9.99 between the 4 of you that live there? I think I see what you’re saying, though I still think it’s unnecessary to be resetting the iPad every time. I think Netflix probably picked up on the device/IP address rather than iCloud account... I have a Netflix account that’s being shared across 2x tv’s, 3 iPads (all 3 with their own Apple ID) and 2x phones (though not all accessing at the same time) and I’ve never encountered and issue

Yeah, she’s used the same iPad tho, so I think the fact that she’s used a new iCloud has made it appear as a new device. I’d have to pay the £9.99 myself and not an option atm
Original Poster
chocci5 m ago

So you all share the iPad to watch or all 4 of you set up free trials …So you all share the iPad to watch or all 4 of you set up free trials every month? Surely you can find 3 friends or family members that would love to join you and only pay £2.50 per month.

We’d want to watch separately tho, at the same time. Sharing an iPad isn’t really an option. We watch separately on our own devices
Edited by: "juggler1" 11th Mar
juggler11 h, 38 m ago

We’d want to watch separately tho, at the same time. Sharing an iPad isn’t …We’d want to watch separately tho, at the same time. Sharing an iPad isn’t really an option. We watch separately on our own devices

So you pay for Netflix anyway? . 9.99 per month allows 4 people to stream different shows simultaneously. Surely all 4 of you aren't getting free trials every month lol
Original Poster
chocci11th Mar

So you pay for Netflix anyway? . 9.99 per month allows 4 people to stream …So you pay for Netflix anyway? . 9.99 per month allows 4 people to stream different shows simultaneously. Surely all 4 of you aren't getting free trials every month lol

One person had got the free trial, we’ve all used it
chocci8 h, 51 m ago

So you pay for Netflix anyway? . 9.99 per month allows 4 people to stream …So you pay for Netflix anyway? . 9.99 per month allows 4 people to stream different shows simultaneously. Surely all 4 of you aren't getting free trials every month lol

chocci8 h, 51 m ago

So if sharing the cost at £2.50 a month each really isn’t an option (rounded up, it only works out to 63p each per week), maybe one of the remaining 3 of you could take turns in creating a trial on your own devices to sharethus easing your daughters need to go through this habitual ritual of factory erasing her iPad every time.
Edited by: "missy89" 12th Mar
It seems a new Apple ID would make no difference. So no need to reset iPad.

Also - is it possible there has been confusion between iMac and MAC address ? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Just a thought
Edited by: "jco83" 12th Mar
Original Poster
missy895 h, 4 m ago

So if sharing the cost at £2.50 a month each really isn’t an option (r …So if sharing the cost at £2.50 a month each really isn’t an option (rounded up, it only works out to 63p each per week), maybe one of the remaining 3 of you could take turns in creating a trial on your own devices to sharethus easing your daughters need to go through this habitual ritual of factory erasing her iPad every time.

I would have to pay. Sharing the cost is not an option, and I don't have the £9.99 right now. others have too much info on their devices and its daughter who is most bothered about having it.Thanks
Edited by: "juggler1" 12th Mar
Original Poster
jco833 h, 26 m ago

How many times has the iPad been reset and created a new Apple ID ?Lol as …How many times has the iPad been reset and created a new Apple ID ?Lol as it seems a new Apple ID would make no difference.Lol at worry of iPad being completely borked and rendered non-resalable.Lol that you rang Netflix to ask why abuse of their free trial wasn't working.Lol at the thought of possible confusion between iMac and MAC address en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_addressBasically -

I have a knowledge gap and am short of money
juggler124 m ago

I have a knowledge gap and am short of money

I edited my comment
Too much on their devices as in...? This doesn’t have an impact on making a Netflix account. They 100% have no need to remove/erase/reset anything
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants