Groups

Is there a min pay 4 apprentices?

mates doing one as couldnt find nothing else to do and is getting 15 quid a day on a 9 hour day,age 17
    and is told will get £25 when just working there all the time
    i fourght i get shit pay?

15 Comments

Pretty poor really as I'm think of doing it and have been told average pay is about £200 a week

Original Poster

atigona;6702584

Pretty poor really as I'm think of doing it and have been told average … Pretty poor really as I'm think of doing it and have been told average pay is about £200 a week

yeer thats why i didnt bother,it was going to be £80 a week for 5 days for me:thumbsup:

the min' will be whatever the min' wage is atm.

15 quid a day???

he's working a 45 hr week for 75 quid??

whats he apprenticing as???

Mc D will pay more

Has he joined a union?

adviceguide.org.uk/ind…htm

ApprenticesApprentices do not qualify for the national minimum wage if … ApprenticesApprentices do not qualify for the national minimum wage if they:•are aged 18 or under, or•are aged 19 or over and are in the first year of their apprenticeship.However, these apprentices are entitled to earn an amount of no less than £95 a week. This does not apply if you live in Northern Ireland.Once you have worked as an apprentice for a year, if you have reached the age of 19 and are still working for the same employer, you will be entitled to the normal minimum wage for your age.

Don't see it as a wage.

In exchange for his FREE labour they are giving him work experience and contributing to his travel/lunch costs.

The mere thought makes me puke so.

Marketing agencies like doing this kind thing a lot. What's kinda job's he doing?

I worked as an apprentice IT Technician in a high school on £85 a week doing 37.5hrs in 2006/2007. Once I turned 19 they refused to pay me national minimum wage and basically said carry on with what your on or leave! How bads that!

To be honest though I wouldn't have got the job i'm in now if I hadnt done that apprenticeship and got the vital experience.

It is terrible pay but it is worth doing for the experience, until you find something else better.

Its all just a way for them to get cheap labour.

With an apprentiship kind of have to see it as a training course with the prospect of a career.

My brother just finished 3 year joinery apprentiship - still only on a rubbish wage - Due to the job market. But hopefully be able to look for somethign better soon

Be careful with apprenticeships. I know of several cases where the company uses them for cheap labour and once the apprentice is qualified they get rid of them. This happens more often in industries like engineering and IT, less so is the construction trades. If you don't want to go to college though it is one of the only options for getting decent work experience.

Banned

usually paid in peanuts.......

My mate started on a rubbish apprentice wages as well, but that was like 8 years ago. He's making very good money at the same place now. Very good money!

There is NO minimum wage for apprenticeships. Google it if you don't believe me... Many people haven't in the past :-p

JACKIT99;6702599

yeer thats why i didnt bother,it was going to be £80 a week for 5 days … yeer thats why i didnt bother,it was going to be £80 a week for 5 days for me:thumbsup:

pretty poor

if i or any of my mates choose motor engineering they could work for rolls royce and they get paid 500 a week as a former student has

i fourght i get **** pay?

I can understand why.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions