Is there a noticeable difference in PS4 games on a 720p TV?

Found 4th Mar 2016
Im thinking about getting a replacement TV for the bedroom for playing PS4 on. I've seen this:

m.ebay.co.uk/itm…RCH

Would there be a noticeable difference if I was to get a 1080p TV instead? TV will be no larger than 32 inch.
Community Updates
20 Comments
in short, yes you would see a difference.
I'm going to make the assumption that since it's for the bedroom, you have at least the length of your bed between your eyes and the TV, in which case I'd guess that you wouldn't notice any difference. Many tests have been done on this, and there are no end of graphs, but they mostly show the same thing: Once you're more than a few feet away, human eyes can't really see a difference.
Original Poster
Yeah the tv is only the length of the bed away from me so there wouldn't be a difference at 32 inches?
Why would you pay money to upgrade to the graphically better console in the PS4 and then strap it to a standard Def tv? X)
Edited by: "10111010101011" 4th Mar 2016
Original Poster
I have a 1080p tv in the bedroom at the moment but it's too small and 32 inch is the biggest I can have

Why would you pay money to upgrade to the graphically better console in … Why would you pay money to upgrade to the graphically better console in the PS4 and then strap it to a standard Def tv? X)

it's 720p not standard def. He will still see the improved, textures, higher framerates, better graphical processing etc. At that distance it's true you wont really see a difference but I'm surprised they still sell 720p sets, how much more would 1080p cost you? (saying that I would take a 720p panasonic over a no name 4k tv any day)
Original Poster
Well I know Panasonic make excellent tv's that's why I'm looking at this one
I would rather get that, than a 1080p for the same price but an poor brand
I use my ps4 on a 720p Panasonic, a big 50" screen that I sit near to. i dont like it it feels like a last gen console compared to when i used it on a 1080p tv. definitely try and get a 1080p one. would strongly recommend getting a gaming monitor if you can either get a big enough one or have the monitor closer. would depend how much you would use the TV tuner

Why would you pay money to upgrade to the graphically better console in … Why would you pay money to upgrade to the graphically better console in the PS4 and then strap it to a standard Def tv? X)

its not SD, its 720, read the OP
badasschris

it's 720p not standard def. He will still see the improved, textures, … it's 720p not standard def. He will still see the improved, textures, higher framerates, better graphical processing etc. At that distance it's true you wont really see a difference but I'm surprised they still sell 720p sets, how much more would 1080p cost you? (saying that I would take a 720p panasonic over a no name 4k tv any day)

badasschris

it's 720p not standard def. He will still see the improved, textures, … it's 720p not standard def. He will still see the improved, textures, higher framerates, better graphical processing etc. At that distance it's true you wont really see a difference but I'm surprised they still sell 720p sets, how much more would 1080p cost you? (saying that I would take a 720p panasonic over a no name 4k tv any day)

would as well being standard def. 720 has nothing on 1080. even 6 feet away from a 21 inch full hd tv you notice a difference. I don't give a damn on graphs etc. I know what I see.
Just buy an Xbox one. Half the games are 720p anyway! X)

You will notice the difference between 720 and 1080.
Anyone telling you otherwise either isn't using media which is up to scratch or they need their eyes testing.

The different between 720 and 1080 is about the same as the different between 480 and 720.
Honestly if you can't see the different something is wrong.
Quietus

I'm going to make the assumption that since it's for the bedroom, you … I'm going to make the assumption that since it's for the bedroom, you have at least the length of your bed between your eyes and the TV, in which case I'd guess that you wouldn't notice any difference. Many tests have been done on this, and there are no end of graphs, but they mostly show the same thing: Once you're more than a few feet away, human eyes can't really see a difference.

That graph appears to be for a specific use (probably video). You can undoubtedly tell the difference between a 1920x1080 and 1280x720 24" computer screen at 5'.

I guess console games are somewhere in the middle. They use fairly large sizes for all their elements and are often rendered at non-native resolutions anyway. My bet at that size, distance and use would be that you could tell the difference but that 1280x720 won't look too low.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 4th Mar 2016

would as well being standard def. 720 has nothing on 1080. even 6 feet … would as well being standard def. 720 has nothing on 1080. even 6 feet away from a 21 inch full hd tv you notice a difference. I don't give a damn on graphs etc. I know what I see.

joedastudd

You will notice the difference between 720 and 1080.Anyone telling you … You will notice the difference between 720 and 1080.Anyone telling you otherwise either isn't using media which is up to scratch or they need their eyes testing.The different between 720 and 1080 is about the same as the different between 480 and 720. Honestly if you can't see the different something is wrong.

There is a difference but you have to be a certain distance to notice it. With a 32" tv you need to be about 6' from the screen. I wasn't saying getting a 1080p tv isnt worth it. I am just answering the question being asked. Also better quality is far more important than higher resolution especially in this case. You can always see good colour and viewing angles, shadow details, contract etc from any distance, resolution only matters as you get closer.
badasschris

There is a difference but you have to be a certain distance to notice it. … There is a difference but you have to be a certain distance to notice it. With a 32" tv you need to be about 6' from the screen. I wasn't saying getting a 1080p tv isnt worth it. I am just answering the question being asked. Also better quality is far more important than higher resolution especially in this case. You can always see good colour and viewing angles, shadow details, contract etc from any distance, resolution only matters as you get closer.

Are you serious?
Put a 32" TV 6 inches in front of my and I'll be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080.
joedastudd

Are you serious?Put a 32" TV 6 inches in front of my and I'll be able to … Are you serious?Put a 32" TV 6 inches in front of my and I'll be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

6 feet lol
A lower input lag would be more beneficial than extra pixels on a tv that size.
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 4th Mar 2016
EndlessWaves

You can undoubtedly tell the difference between a 1920x1080 and 1280x720 … You can undoubtedly tell the difference between a 1920x1080 and 1280x720 24" computer screen at 5'.

Which is what the graph shows, for anything above about a 25-inch screen.:p
Original Poster
So a monitor would be better at that size? The problem is I don't want to spend any more than £200 and that's top of the budget
Only way you could tell the difference between 1080p and 720p is with high resolution text. Most video games are run through a slight upscale anyway. I've run lego games at both 1080p and 720p on a 42" tv at 7" and whilst there is a slight image difference it's not completely noticeable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants