Is there a quick, easy way to get internet for a short period?

Found 28th Feb
Had to cancel Vodafone broadband and now I've got a two week period before bt fibre will be connected.

Is there a way to get mobile broadband but connect my pc to it?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
If your neighbors are nice, maybe ask if they will allow you to use their internet on WiFi.
Or even offer to pay if you cant do without the net.
If you've got a phone then u could use that as a hotspot and tether to your PC with it but that depends on your mobile provider if they allow tethering. Another way would be to buy a MIFI device such as EE Osprey but that also would require a SIM card, u could get a 30 day sim only contract and then cancel once you've got your broadband up and running!
If any of the neighbours are BT customers, their hubs will act as a wi-fi access point, usually SSID followed by FON in the name.
Connect to that using your BT ID, you have unlimited access as a BT customer.
McDonalds free wifi as a last resort to do important things?
delboye301 h, 21 m ago

Another way would be to buy a MIFI device such as EE Osprey but that also …Another way would be to buy a MIFI device such as EE Osprey but that also would require a SIM card, u could get a 30 day sim only contract and then cancel once you've got your broadband up and running!

I wouldn't go for the portable ones like the Three MiFi or EE Osprey for home use. In this situation I'd pick up a desktop 3G router like a TP-link TL-MR3420.

Although admittedly the portable ones might get more use in future for holidays etc. even if they're not as good now.
EndlessWaves26 m ago

I wouldn't go for the portable ones like the Three MiFi or EE Osprey for …I wouldn't go for the portable ones like the Three MiFi or EE Osprey for home use. In this situation I'd pick up a desktop 3G router like a TP-link TL-MR3420.Although admittedly the portable ones might get more use in future for holidays etc. even if they're not as good now.

for a neighbours benefit I just put a tplink archer 200 against one of the little 4gee minis, the mini won hands down, was quite disappointed
Won on what test?
Yes kinda

Try to look around for some good phone data deals then setup a hotspot
Also you said your going to with BT? Perhaps you maybe able to connect to BT-with-Fon network which has decent connection in millions of locations

BT with Fon is free for BT customers I believe, you log in with your Email and Password when you log in
Edited by: "Norseg" 1st Mar
EndlessWaves12 h, 37 m ago

Won on what test?

speed and stability of connection, speed by about 15% (29mb vs 33mb) and the tp-link would randomly drop the connection (about 5 times in 24hrs)
maddogb2 h, 50 m ago

speed and stability of connection, speed by about 15% (29mb vs 33mb) and …speed and stability of connection, speed by about 15% (29mb vs 33mb) and the tp-link would randomly drop the connection (about 5 times in 24hrs)

Sounds like you got a faulty unit.
EndlessWaves2 h, 34 m ago

Sounds like you got a faulty unit.

I haven't got anything, they were both my neighbours but i wasn't going to volunteer that info in case he ended up getting charged a "testing" fee.
taking the tplink to his brothers nearer to the city it improved in both reliability and speed so not absolutely convinced either way
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions