Is there a way to block an xbox from connecting to Sky's broadband (wifi)?

Posted 10th Jun
A friend of mine is having problems with her son playing on his xbox into the night. He's been staying up all hours and she'd like to be able to restrict the access.

The lights go off and with him using a headset, she's no idea if he's on it or not without having to go into his room (no one wants to do that with a teenage boy at night!).

I know she could just take his controller etc, but there must be a way she can do it via her network, surely?

I used to have broadband with sky but moved when they wouldn't shift on their pricing - with my router it's pretty simple to block a device, but she's struggling.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Schedule the ip address to be banned during certain hours by logging into the router settings. Or better still tell your friend to learn how to discipline her child. This is a major problem with today’s society, the kids rule the parents and not the other way round
Deploy psychological warfare.

Next time it happens: Confiscated for week/month (whatever is deemed enough.) This is like taking an addicts 'stash' to a teen...

Upon return of console:

"Do whatever you feel is right Son - hate me if you wish - but DO understand: If I catch you again on the Xbox after "X"-o'clock then the console goes to the charity shop (or bin!) - no if's, no but's. I'm NOT joking. It's all on you."

Sorted.

I don't do "Touchy-feely."
17 Comments
Either take the Xbox away or turn the router off at night.
Schedule the ip address to be banned during certain hours by logging into the router settings. Or better still tell your friend to learn how to discipline her child. This is a major problem with today’s society, the kids rule the parents and not the other way round
If she goes into router settings there are options to set items as blocked etc but really why parent by deceit stick the plug off or get the kid to understand that 24 /7 gaming is for when he is in his 20s
You can block Xbox via sky log on. It looks like it’s called sky buddy. Parents can unselect the Xbox.
Edited by: "daniellndn" 10th Jun
Yep, it's possible to restrict based on timings on Sky routers but settings are dependant on the type of router, if using the Sky Hub 2:

CrashOverride10/06/2020 12:20

Yep, it's possible to restrict based on timings on Sky routers but …Yep, it's possible to restrict based on timings on Sky routers but settings are dependant on the type of router, if using the Sky Hub 2:[Video]

Good video. Sad child this evening when he switches on his Xbox
Reading about the sky buddy. It looks like an app where you can turn on and off access. Perhaps worth looking at as well.

i only new about this facility as a friend, separating from his partner got caught up in childish games. One being cutting their access to home broadband whilst waiting for them to move out. .
You can set parental restrictions on the Xbox which might be of use (set hours with in the day) he can still play without the internet for many games so may not fully solve the issue. Good luck!
I would honestly suggest that your friend make sure that the child has a kids account and then they can use the Microsoft tools to restrict hours and much more.

pcworld.com/art…tml
Teenagers are smart these days all they have to do is press the reset button on the router and the restrictions will be removed. Just turn the router off and take it away with you.
Add the xbox to either Google or Alexa skills? At ten pm for example, alexa switch off xbox?
deleted88965
I sympathise with the kid!
Deploy psychological warfare.

Next time it happens: Confiscated for week/month (whatever is deemed enough.) This is like taking an addicts 'stash' to a teen...

Upon return of console:

"Do whatever you feel is right Son - hate me if you wish - but DO understand: If I catch you again on the Xbox after "X"-o'clock then the console goes to the charity shop (or bin!) - no if's, no but's. I'm NOT joking. It's all on you."

Sorted.

I don't do "Touchy-feely."
Set them up as a child on the parents Microsoft account and schedule their access, it can be a bit fiddly at first but does work.

or other tactics take power cable and controllers off them at night.
Edited by: "eslick" 10th Jun
eslick10/06/2020 13:43

Set them up as a child on the parents Microsoft account and schedule their …Set them up as a child on the parents Microsoft account and schedule their access, it can be a bit fiddly at first but does work.or other tactics take power cable and controllers off them at night.

Yes take controller away problem solved
do what my dad did cut the plug off while it was on lol
Turn router off then on again. Several times. He'll give up and go to sleep on his own.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants