Groups

Is there a way to change mobo and processor without having to reinstall Windows XP?

As per title really. Don't want to really have to reinstall Windows XP when changing over mobo and processor.

Any ways around this at all that anyone knows of?

5 Comments

It should boot but then it will whine at you!! You may need to re activate but watch the drivers, make sure its installing all of them and use the CD if you can.

I have done it without re-installing, just by chance booted up to see what happened afterwards and it didn't seem to notice, or if it did, it didn't care. However the computer did seem to be running quite slow after that which may have been a driver issue or one I imagined, so I reinstalled a few weeks later anyway. Just make sure you back up important stuff

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;7749829

Just change them and let Windows sort it all out after

but does that work? What about the product key and the registration, will it need to be done again?

Banned

its always best to reinstall it, make it all fresh..
    A lot of time ive found you need a reinstall, spose it depends..

Banned

bassman_uk;7749858

but does that work? What about the product key and the registration, will … but does that work? What about the product key and the registration, will it need to be done again?

it will just ask you to ring MS to re-activate. Takes a few minutes
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. GIVEAWAY - Clear out of duplicate CD Keys from Humble Bundle I have yet to …33
      2. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1832
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767463
      4. One thing you've forgotten56

See more discussions