Groups

Is there a way to check the speed of your internet with different service providers?

One of my friends is on BT 8meg and is fully aware that the contract states "up to 8meg" but he's currently only receiving 1.5meg, which is quite shocking.
    He's interested in gettin virgin 50meg set up as its available in his area but doesnt want to be paying for 50meg when he can only get 10meg.....is there a place to check how much a 50meg would get him in his area with virgin?

12 Comments

try [url]www.speedtest.net[/url]

he could ask someone else that has it near him.

I think virgin don't install somewhere it doesn't work well, as to keep the 50mb's reputation good.

Original Poster

Does these sites show you the speed you'd receive in your area if you were different internet service providers?

realfriendlyman;5790649

Does these sites show you the speed you'd receive in your area if you … Does these sites show you the speed you'd receive in your area if you were different internet service providers?

no

Original Poster

realfriendlyman;5790649

Does these sites show you the speed you'd receive in your area if you … Does these sites show you the speed you'd receive in your area if you were different internet service providers?

phatboy123;5790664

no

I'm sure there was some way of doing it but I can't remember how...I don't want Virgin to lie to my friend, just to gain another customer after handing in his notice to his current ISP.

Banned

broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

gives u more details and tells u fastest you can get but not adsl2

phatboy123;5790637

he could ask someone else that has it near him.I think virgin don't … he could ask someone else that has it near him.I think virgin don't install somewhere it doesn't work well, as to keep the 50mb's reputation good.

fibre optic cable only for 50mb (no copper)

allyours.virginmedia.com/htm…tml

enter your postcode see what it says. If you are in a fibre optic enabled street/region. I doubt it will show potential speeds and will just list 50mb

Whatever the quoted 'top speed' what you actually get depends on a number of factors, not least contention which has arguably the biggest variable impact on what you get at any one time. This is how much you are sharing your bandwidth with others. Since fibre increases the overall potential, you theoretically get a better share of a bigger capacity, but bear in mind that you rarely get consistent speed. All the speed checking sites so far mentioned only get you figures over a very short internal (seconds or minutes) - what you really want is sustained stats which would give you a better picture.

For domestic use, contention often ranges from 20:1 down to 50:1 - by contrast, many business connections can be as little as 5:1 or 1:1 for dedicated lines (but these really cost).

In the end try and find out experience of other users (neighbours) as this will give you better idea of the true experience. Also take into account how they use it and what equipment they have.

good luck

Banned

i was with bt before i had upto 8mg internet aload of smeg, i only ever got 30kbps-90kbps

i moved to virgin im on 10mg net and i get 10mg downloads are quick, now im tempted to upgrade to 50meg when its cheaper

Original Poster

dj_urban;5790912

i was with bt before i had upto 8mg internet aload of smeg, i only ever … i was with bt before i had upto 8mg internet aload of smeg, i only ever got 30kbps-90kbps i moved to virgin im on 10mg net and i get 10mg downloads are quick, now im tempted to upgrade to 50meg when its cheaper

Damn, that's terrible! :w00t:

I'm on 20mb with Virgin and I receive 17mb but I thought BT were supposed to be a reliable and high quality service.

Banned

I wouldn't go as far to use word reliable lol constant disconnections from
    the service whilst using ps3 online, vvvslow downloads, called bt up so many times to get the Internet sorted, but no improvements stil got a rubbish service, iv had virgin since April/may and not a single problem, touch wood Lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The great big HUKD Nintendo thread3335656
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?31120
      3. BioShock 10th Anniversary Collector’s Edition Announced.11
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1740

See more discussions