Is there an electrician on here that can help me?

Found 9th Oct 2017Edited by:"LeahsMintytoutou"
Hey guys and gals im changing a light switch from plastic to chrome and I'm not sure where the earth goes.

its a plastic back box and I'm just putting a chrome front on.
These are the wires i have.

2809833-Ln7G7.jpg
Ithought it would be easy but can't find where to put the earth. Please advise me correctly, Thankyou
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Original Poster
ssc15 m ago

yes you have the red - live and black neutral (switch common). the yellow …yes you have the red - live and black neutral (switch common). the yellow with green stripe is earth which attaches to the screw on the switch (at the top of the switch picture brass hole).

Thankyou very much for your help... all done
32217129-k5icw.jpg
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 9th Oct 2017
40 Comments
Post a picture of your switch
i always take a photo of the connections before i remove them so that i can put the connections back to the same hole!
Original Poster
martinsmith186 m ago

Post a picture of your switch

32216893-yYp1d.jpg
The plastic around it is detachable. Don't like it but I'm guessing that it's spoosed to be there to keep metal off the wall.
Original Poster
mutley11 m ago

i always take a photo of the connections before i remove them so that i …i always take a photo of the connections before i remove them so that i can put the connections back to the same hole!

I did I'm changing from a plastic one to a chrome one
LeahsMintytoutou2 m ago

I did I'm changing from a plastic one to a chrome one

there should be a hole with E on it which is earth if i remember correctly, on the face plate. that is where the earth goes.
Original Poster
mutley12 m ago

there should be a hole with E on it which is earth if i remember …there should be a hole with E on it which is earth if i remember correctly, on the face plate. that is where the earth goes.

No e see pic above in comments
The earth goes in that brass hole secure with the screw supplied. Top right in your pic.
Edited by: "ssc1" 9th Oct 2017
LeahsMintytoutou6 m ago

No e see pic above in comments

sounds like you have a face plate without earth. is it a new plate or an old one you have kicking around?

i have to admit that if there is no earth, i just don't connect earth, which is probably not brilliant but hey ho, what else can you do?
Original Poster
ssc13 m ago

The earth goes in that brass hole secure with the screw.

The thick green and yellow wire in the pic is definitely an earth then?
I read somewhere it might not be so I thought I better ask someone who knows.
also if you see the pic the earth wire has already got a copper screw attatched to it. Should I take this off and use the new one which is already attached to the new face plate? Don't wanna blow myself up
Original Poster
mutley14 m ago

sounds like you have a face plate without earth. is it a new plate or an …sounds like you have a face plate without earth. is it a new plate or an old one you have kicking around?i have to admit that if there is no earth, i just don't connect earth, which is probably not brilliant but hey ho, what else can you do?

It's a new one. Got it about a year ago but never opened it. Just found it in my garden box so I decided right, this will be a quick job I'll do it now. I was wrong lol. The paper that comes with it may aswell be in Swahili. Even the pics don't make sense.
LeahsMintytoutou12 m ago

The thick green and yellow wire in the pic is definitely an earth then? I …The thick green and yellow wire in the pic is definitely an earth then? I read somewhere it might not be so I thought I better ask someone who knows.also if you see the pic the earth wire has already got a copper screw attatched to it. Should I take this off and use the new one which is already attached to the new face plate? Don't wanna blow myself up

yes you have the red - live and black neutral (switch common). the yellow with green stripe is earth which attaches to the screw on the switch (at the top of the switch picture brass hole).
Simple job...take earth (green/yellow) wire off the plastic box and move that onto the brass hole....don't need earth on plastic back box.

Put your red and black wire back 1on top 2nd wire on opposite side.
Edited by: "Adam786123" 9th Oct 2017
Original Poster
ssc15 m ago

yes you have the red - live and black neutral (switch common). the yellow …yes you have the red - live and black neutral (switch common). the yellow with green stripe is earth which attaches to the screw on the switch (at the top of the switch picture brass hole).

Thankyou very much for your help... all done
32217129-k5icw.jpg
Original Poster
mutley122 m ago

sounds like you have a face plate without earth. is it a new plate or an …sounds like you have a face plate without earth. is it a new plate or an old one you have kicking around?i have to admit that if there is no earth, i just don't connect earth, which is probably not brilliant but hey ho, what else can you do?

Done it now don't know what I would do without the hukd gang at times
LeahsMintytoutou10 m ago

Thankyou very much for your help... all done [Image]

great job!
Original Poster
ssc18 m ago

great job!

Thanks again, life lesson learned today, going to do my kitchen one now too
LeahsMintytoutou18 m ago

Thankyou very much for your help... all done [Image]

well done, now you just have to wait for the house to burn down. lol
Original Poster
32217357-EFOFg.jpg
ssc126 m ago

great job!

Damit just opened my kitchen one and it's different. It's got a metal back plate and different wires. Seems to be an extra one, blue one. Is this easy or shall I just leave it?
32217357-UFAcx.jpg
Can’t tell from the image you have taken where the cable cores are connected
LeahsMintytoutou14 m ago

Damit just opened my kitchen one and it's different. It's got a metal back …Damit just opened my kitchen one and it's different. It's got a metal back plate and different wires. Seems to be an extra one, blue one. Is this easy or shall I just leave it?[Image]

Looks like a two-way switch - is there another switch for the same light fitting?

If it is a two-way switch is your new switch also a 2-way switch (it needs to be)?
Original Poster
martinsmith183 m ago

Can’t tell from the image you have taken where the cable cores are c …Can’t tell from the image you have taken where the cable cores are connected

Added it in comment above yours ^^^
Original Poster
Van19733 m ago

Looks like a two-way switch - is there another switch for the same light …Looks like a two-way switch - is there another switch for the same light fitting?If it is a two-way switch is your new switch also a 2-way switch (it needs to be)?

Ah yes it is two way. It's my landing one that has a switch at top and the bottom. The one in the pic is at the bottom of my landing.
my new switch is a 2 way one aswell. The earth is screwed in to the back plate because it's metal. Do I have to earth the new chrome faceplate aswell or can I leave it because the plate is earthed? Thanks for your help
On the existing two way switch make a note of how the cables are fitted - what colour to Common, 1, 2 (or whatever numbers) and then replicate on the new switch.

Earth - you should strictly connect an additional short earth sheathed cable from the back box to the earth terminal on switch - technically it should be earthed through the fixing screws to the back box but that is not to guidlelines - you should do this to be safe and compliant.
Edited by: "Van1973" 9th Oct 2017
Original Poster
Van19732 m ago

On the existing two way switch make a note of how the cables are fitted - …On the existing two way switch make a note of how the cables are fitted - what colour to Common, 1, 2 (or whatever numbers) and then replicate on the new switch.Earth - you should strictly connect an additional short earth sheathed cable from the back box to the earth terminal on switch - technically it should be earthed through the fixing screws to the back box but that is not to guidlelines - you should do this to be safe and compliant.

It is two way. How do I connect the earth from the back box to the faceplate? If I move it to the faceplate won't that mean the back is not earthed?
LeahsMintytoutou3 m ago

It is two way. How do I connect the earth from the back box to the …It is two way. How do I connect the earth from the back box to the faceplate? If I move it to the faceplate won't that mean the back is not earthed?

Leave the earth to the back box - but loosen the screw then install an additional short earth cable into the terminal and then tighten again (so you will have two wires in the terminal on the back box). Connect the other end of this new earth cable to the earth terminal on the switch.

People often skip earthing - as you don't need it to work - but you do need it to be safe! May save your life one day so important to do!
Edited by: "Van1973" 9th Oct 2017
Original Poster
Van19734 m ago

Leave the earth to the backbox - but loosen the screw then install an …Leave the earth to the backbox - but loosen the screw then install an additional short earth cable into the terminal and then tighten again. Connect the other end of this new earth cable to the earth terminal on the switch.

Ooo I don't know how to add an additional cable. I'll leave that one the way it is then for now.

Can you tell me how to install an additional cable after I've loosened the screw for the earth? I might give it a go next week when I'm off work
Good. If you have changed a switch already you'll be able to do this. All you need to do is find a short length of wire, approx 2-3 inch long. I'll post a picture to this thread later if I can find one.
That was easier than I thought - have a look at this.....32217705-IVuL9.jpg
.....it is the wire immediately above the comment "See Note A, about this earth loop"
LeahsMintytoutou37 m ago

[Image] Damit just opened my kitchen one and it's different. It's got a …[Image] Damit just opened my kitchen one and it's different. It's got a metal back plate and different wires. Seems to be an extra one, blue one. Is this easy or shall I just leave it?[Image]

two way switch. just note where the wires go. L1, L2 and common. no need to add earth to metal switch if the backbox is metal but good practice to add a link (piggyback).
OMG why do I have the feeling this wont end well ! Mutley1 stop commenting ,take notes and learn from the useful advice on the thread - On second thoughts a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
ssc16 m ago

two way switch. just note where the wires go. L1, L2 and common. no need …two way switch. just note where the wires go. L1, L2 and common. no need to add earth to metal switch if the backbox is metal but good practice to add a link (piggyback).

Sorry but can't agree with you. It is potentially unsafe to rely upon the fixing screws to bond the switch plate (which you and I have not seen) to the back box.

What happens if there is a plastic grommet around the screw holes on the plate or the if the screw heads are lacquered - then the switch plate may not be earthed. Both are unlikely - but when the risk of being wrong is potentially death (with some other failure occuring) then it is a risk not worth taking.

It is more than good practice - it is necessary.
Van19733 m ago

Sorry but can't agree with you. It is potentially unsafe to rely upon …Sorry but can't agree with you. It is potentially unsafe to rely upon the fixing screws to bond the switch plate (which you and I have not seen) to the back box. What happens if there is a plastic grommet around the screw holes on the plate or the if the screw heads are lacquered - then the switch plate may not be earthed. Both are unlikely - but when the risk of being wrong is potentially death (with some other failure occuring) then it is a risk not worth taking. It is more than good practice - it is necessary.

granted. remove the earth from the box and attach to the metal switch if no link.
rogparki22 m ago

OMG why do I have the feeling this wont end well ! Mutley1 stop …OMG why do I have the feeling this wont end well ! Mutley1 stop commenting ,take notes and learn from the useful advice on the thread - On second thoughts a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

don't worry. i haven't burnt down any of my properties yet. lol
Original Poster
Van197338 m ago

Sorry but can't agree with you. It is potentially unsafe to rely upon …Sorry but can't agree with you. It is potentially unsafe to rely upon the fixing screws to bond the switch plate (which you and I have not seen) to the back box. What happens if there is a plastic grommet around the screw holes on the plate or the if the screw heads are lacquered - then the switch plate may not be earthed. Both are unlikely - but when the risk of being wrong is potentially death (with some other failure occuring) then it is a risk not worth taking. It is more than good practice - it is necessary.

Thankyou for the pic.. as @ssc1 commented under yours can I just remove the earth from the back plate and attatch it to the face plate? or do the face plate and the back have to be earthed with their own wire?
LeahsMintytoutou3 m ago

Thankyou for the pic.. as @ssc1 commented under yours can I just remove …Thankyou for the pic.. as @ssc1 commented under yours can I just remove the earth from the back plate and attatch it to the face plate? or do the face plate and the back have to be earthed with their own wire?

There is a difference of opinion between myself and ssc1 - I would do it with an additional wire as per the pic.
Original Poster
Van19733 m ago

There is a difference of opinion between myself and ssc1 - I would do it …There is a difference of opinion between myself and ssc1 - I would do it with an additional wire as per the pic.

Ok Thankyou. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'll do the extra cable thing next week. Thankyou for your help ps was it you that advised me on my work situation?
Add another wire from back box to chrome front plate...why risk it.....yes it would work without the wire but if the wire accidently touched the back plate then that would be live....so if joe blogs took the front plate off and touched the back box..Then it would be lights out for him.
LeahsMintytoutou17 m ago

Ok Thankyou. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'll do the extra cable thing …Ok Thankyou. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'll do the extra cable thing next week. Thankyou for your help ps was it you that advised me on my work situation?

It wasn't me! We have conversed on some other threads but I had nothing to add re. your 'standing' at work thread.
Original Poster
Van19735 m ago

It wasn't me! We have conversed on some other threads but I had nothing …It wasn't me! We have conversed on some other threads but I had nothing to add re. your 'standing' at work thread.

Ah ok sorry, I was thinking it was that thread, must be someone else. Thankyou for your help with this anyway really helpful thank
LeahsMintytoutou2 h, 33 m ago

Ok Thankyou. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'll do the extra cable thing …Ok Thankyou. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'll do the extra cable thing next week. Thankyou for your help ps was it you that advised me on my work situation?

You link a wire with sleeve to box and switch including the earth connection in the wall. Ideally grounding exposed metal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions