Groups

Is there an item that wirelessly streams internet?

Rightttt in my uni halls we arent allowed to connect routers to the internet plugs. We really want internet in main room and at the moment we can only think of getting a masssive ethernet cable. is there a way to stream internet directly from the port to one Laptop? without it reaching everyone or being a router?

This sounds confusing... i have no idea what i mean myself

19 Comments

are you allowed to connect a wireless access point? its not a router (not quite)

wireless access point? kind of like a repeater? you can set this to access the main connection ethernet then password encyrpt who gets access to it.

Original Poster

wolf359;6454049

are you allowed to connect a wireless access point? its not a router … are you allowed to connect a wireless access point? its not a router (not quite)

i would think so? it just says no routers and no bridging?

Powerline networking is a possibility but that may cause problems if it's a large power circuit.

By using a wireless system you are bridging the network so I can't see how you can have any wireless system.

John

Using a repeater would just extend the main uni wirless connection.. i think..

I guess the only thing that you can do is buy a 3G dongle if you want wireless.
    Otherwise, like John said, you'll be breaching the rule by bridging the network.

Original Poster

The connection of a hub switch, router or wireless access point is not supported and will cause the socket to shut down. Sharing of the Internet connection by means of bridging wired and wireless network adapters is forbidden and will result in a loss of connection.

gah. but the booklet to set it all up gives intructions for a wireless router :S...

CAnt you use 1 laptop/pc to connect, then use this to connect to your lappys wireless

Badass, you go to Newcastle/Northumbria Uni?

Ditto! You in halls now? I was in Garth Heads last year, best. halls. ever.

Mclovin;6454124

The connection of a hub switch, router or wireless access point is not … The connection of a hub switch, router or wireless access point is not supported and will cause the socket to shut down. Sharing of the Internet connection by means of bridging wired and wireless network adapters is forbidden and will result in a loss of connection.gah. but the booklet to set it all up gives intructions for a wireless router :S...

I can't see how they would detect any of that hardware.. Quite often halls dish out a public IP. You should therefore be able to use a cable (NTL/Virgin) router and use that to create your own private network including wireless. Our old halls dished out public IPs and also had mac address filtering. We simply cloned our machine's mac address onto the router and setup a wireless network.

Do you get a public IP from your connection?

Go start -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig, what's your ip address?

Quay point is nice except for the level of security. Trying to get in that place is a nightmare when you don't live there!
    Lol nice, enjoy yourself, if I go out tonight it'll be to Hancocks for a social.
    Might see you around though. Keep your eye out for me, I'll be knocking about the design building most days on a fixed wheel bike with a purple front wheel

Get a wireless bridge it connects to your ethernet port on your laptop then then the other end to your internet connection just like a massive ethernet cable. Your not creating network just a bridge which most Uni are okay with. What thery're worried about is multiple users connecting to a single network connection which is what a router will do. This will only work on the one device.

ok why not just use a wireless router (hide it in the room well) and turn off visablity? then only you can connect as you know the name etc to it and to anyone else it wouldnt be detectable

Original Poster

im gunna give this a try cheers

dcx_badass;6454112

No there's no way to do it at all except a long cable, everyone else is … No there's no way to do it at all except a long cable, everyone else is just wrong, basically.We're the same so I have a 3G dongle which I use in the living room.

Very sweeping statement, which part of not being able to use any form of wireless was incorrect then given you've said just the same yourself?

John

baconsandwich;6454892

I can't see how they would detect any of that hardware.. Quite often … I can't see how they would detect any of that hardware.. Quite often halls dish out a public IP. You should therefore be able to use a cable (NTL/Virgin) router and use that to create your own private network including wireless. Our old halls dished out public IPs and also had mac address filtering. We simply cloned our machine's mac address onto the router and setup a wireless network.

At the last university residence I was in thay could identify where routers were being used as multipe devices could be identified from the same port going through the proxy.

John

dcx_badass;6457224

Yeah I know. so hard to get people in! Tonight failed was home by … Yeah I know. so hard to get people in! Tonight failed was home by midnight! Booo, oh well always tomorrow!

I coulda/woulda/shoulda gone to Northumbria, was rejected at first as I dont have A level English(despite having a NC and HNC media and Summer School Highers) and was told my application was fine and I had the entry points.

Couldnt be arsed waiting another year so went elsewhere but really wanted to go.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions