Is there any problem using a non dimmable bulb in a

Posted 22nd Dec 2019
lamp holder that has 3 light settings, the one that works when you touch the lamp it has a low medium and high brightness, the bulb is working but just wondering if it is dangerous or not it's only a 5w led bulb if that makes any difference.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
(Google) You should NOT use a non-dimmable lamp in a dimmable circuit as it may cause damage to the lamp and or circuit.
Edited by: "furbars" 22nd Dec 2019
I'm wondering if you're finding that all three of settings look the same?
it sounds as if you're very lucky and as long as the led bulb turns off completely when you turn it off you should safe.
Side comment
I put an LED in an old style dimmer socket that was wired into the house lighting a few years back, what I didn't know was that a small amount of power is always flowing through the dimmer and the LED bulb was constantly glowing or actually flashing, just really annoying!
I think more modern dimmers in lighting circuits now use the neutral wire so they actually turn it off completely and you don't have the problem
Just buy a dimmable bulb , hardly break the bank will it
mikeportsmouth22/12/2019 15:08

Just buy a dimmable bulb , hardly break the bank will it

I bought the bulb for another place but it's not working in that fitting for some reason so just put it in a touchlamp and it's working in there. The other holder is supposed too have r30 bulb's in it but E14 have always worked in it before but this one doesn't seem to want too work very odd.
esar22/12/2019 15:03

I'm wondering if you're finding that all three of settings look the …I'm wondering if you're finding that all three of settings look the same?it sounds as if you're very lucky and as long as the led bulb turns off completely when you turn it off you should safe.Side commentI put an LED in an old style dimmer socket that was wired into the house lighting a few years back, what I didn't know was that a small amount of power is always flowing through the dimmer and the LED bulb was constantly glowing or actually flashing, just really annoying! I think more modern dimmers in lighting circuits now use the neutral wire so they actually turn it off completely and you don't have the problem

I'm getting that problem with my lounge lights. They've got a touch sensitive dimmer switch (keep your finger on it to adjust dimmer setting) and the lights won't turn off completely it they're LED bulbs. Have to get halogen SES bulbs instead.
terriclarkfan22/12/2019 16:49

I'm getting that problem with my lounge lights. They've got a touch …I'm getting that problem with my lounge lights. They've got a touch sensitive dimmer switch (keep your finger on it to adjust dimmer setting) and the lights won't turn off completely it they're LED bulbs. Have to get halogen SES bulbs instead.

Have you tried dimmable led bulbs they should work.
terriclarkfan22/12/2019 16:49

I'm getting that problem with my lounge lights. They've got a touch …I'm getting that problem with my lounge lights. They've got a touch sensitive dimmer switch (keep your finger on it to adjust dimmer setting) and the lights won't turn off completely it they're LED bulbs. Have to get halogen SES bulbs instead.

You could try LEDs that are designed to dim?
MynameisM22/12/2019 16:50

Have you tried dimmable led bulbs they should work.

They don't, there must be some residual current which is enough to power a LED but not a halogen.
esar22/12/2019 16:58

You could try LEDs that are designed to dim?

I did, they didn't work.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Some of the older, leading edge dimmers don't work with dimmable LED bulbs. Either change the switch to a trailing edge one or get the old fashioned bulbs.
I have normal bulbs in dimmable lights. The only difference is I can't dim them which was obvious. They're perfectly fine on full brightness.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants