Is there any real benefit in tempered glass screen protectors?

Found 26th May
As per title.

I have a tempered glass screen protector on my phone but on my iPad I have a film one. I always seem to crack the tempered glass ones on the corners after not very long. They also don’t fill the whole of the front of the phone.

The film ones seem to last longer (a year vs 2-4 months) but stuff like having sticky fingers etc seem to take forever to get off the screen.

I’m getting another iPad and I think I’d be going with a film screen protector but I was wondering if anyone has had a tempered glass screen protector with an iPad and how they’ve found it.

Thanks
Community Updates
AskScreen Protector
16 Comments
yes. have one on my Sony Experia phone. Have dropped it on concrete before, spilled food and drink over it, dropped it many times at home. My sister visited recently and dropped her I-Phone once, was all smashed and cracked. Think I will stick with the tempered glass it does not reduce performance, should last about a year easily and is easily replaced.

I had a broken Wii U gamepad screen once.... regrettably I had not put tempered glass on it, which would have been cheaper than the £80 repair bill and inconvienence.
noahsdad4 m ago

yes. have one on my Sony Experia phone. Have dropped it on concrete …yes. have one on my Sony Experia phone. Have dropped it on concrete before, spilled food and drink over it, dropped it many times at home. My sister visited recently and dropped her I-Phone once, was all smashed and cracked. Think I will stick with the tempered glass it does not reduce performance, should last about a year easily and is easily replaced.I had a broken Wii U gamepad screen once.... regrettably I had not put tempered glass on it, which would have been cheaper than the £80 repair bill and inconvienence.

Thanks for that I’ve never had a tempered glass screen protector on a tablet before so I wasn’t sure whether to take the plunge yet but I think I will, as like you said it’s less than an £80 repair bill.
Edited by: "Mechtup" 26th May
Agree - Tempered glass one’s break/crack way too easy and need replacing often.
The film screen protector last longer, however, they offer a very small amount of protection I find.

Something I found to be durable, and very good as to not attract finger prints too much, and provide a great level of protection is the rhinoshield protector.

Dropped my iphone many times face down, and the protector is still in one piece.
Apparently it even withstands hammer blows, and though I’ve not tried it, there are plenty of vids on youtube showing that
Thankfully because I have a glass screen it means I can keep using my phone, as the edge of the phones screen took a direct hit and cracked. I' not so sure a plastic screen protector would have been any good.
Edited by: "hubcms" 26th May
I had a glass screen protector on my old S6that cracked when the phone slipped out of my hands on the kitchen counter (screen was ok though).

Boyfriend had a plastic one on his iPhone 6 and the screen cracked after he dropped it.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th May
Tempered Glass are better in my opinion they create less bubbles on fitting, less dust ,less scratches if you buy a good one and also the display is more vivid I used to fit them all the time! Now 1 per contract with a Tempered glass!
Tempered glass breaks absorbing shock of a fall but can crack, film just stops scratches. So depends on how you use the thing you are trying to protect.
Hi @Mechtup I wanted to let you know I only use tempered glass ones and I've never broken a screen. Go for Edge to Edge ones. They cover right to the edge. Mine on my phone has a metal rim around too. I've never looked for iPad ones but I use them for iPhone and work wonderful I get them off eBay
I don't have a screen protector but have dropped my phone hundreds of times, often onto hard surfaces like concrete. My screen is pristine and not scratched. However, I do have a dual layer case, which protects the corners.
I don't have one on my phone because of gorrila glass is strong I dropped my phone fair few times to has a case on thoghe no scratches or anything on my Samsung
Edited by: "_Enzo_" 26th May
I have always used them.

I currently have them on an ipad, ipad mini, kindle fire, 2 x android phones and 1 x iPhone.

I have dropped my phone several times and had no issue.

I have had to replace broken tempered screens.... but it is cheaper than the real screen which may have been damaged if not protected.

They are easy for fit, bubble free, and offer resistance to damage.

Go for it.
Edited by: "hottoast" 26th May
First thing I did when my kid opened his Switch at Xmas was take it into the bathroom and apply a tempered glass screen before he used it. As anyone knows the Switch is not cheap! 5 months gone now and is not needing replaced, looks just the same and seems to have plenty life left. The touch screen fucntions just fine too.

Wee tip re the bathroom, is always the least dustiest room in the house, that is why I apply a tempered glass screen cover in there!
hottoast16 h, 50 m ago

I have always used them.I currently have them on an ipad, ipad mini, …I have always used them.I currently have them on an ipad, ipad mini, kindle fire, 2 x android phones and 1 x iPhone.I have dropped my phone several times and had no issue.I have had to replace broken tempered screens.... but it is cheaper than the real screen which may have been damaged if not protected.They are easy for fit, bubble free, and offer resistance to damage.Go for it.

Ahmen I didn’t use my devices until the temp glass was fitted well worth it
no.
I have glass on my iPad. The issue with film protectors is they scratch and getting them on without bubbles is a nightmare on such a large screen. The iPad should not get abuse like the phone so a glass protector should last years.
ASongOfFireAndIce27th May

Ahmen I didn’t use my devices until the temp glass was fitted well worth it

I always do the same... No glass screen, no use!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants