Is there any way around the internet system?

Banned 11 replies
Found 13th Mar 2009
The University is responsible for providing an internet connection to the halls I'm in. And although its a really decent connection, I can't watch many streams on Justin tv, My p2p (mainly for the football) and download music from bit torrent.

Why is this? And is there any way around it, so I can enjoy live streams and bit torrent/limewire downloads?

Rep given to all helpers.

Thanks in advance
David

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
11 Comments

im not sure whether it will work or not but you can try proxy network software. the free one i know and use now is TOR torproject.org/

Original Poster Banned

nuabdi;4626406

im not sure whether it will work or not but you can try proxy network … im not sure whether it will work or not but you can try proxy network software. the free one i know and use now is TOR http://www.torproject.org/

Thanks, will give it a try. Have some rep!! :thumbsup:

davidhurn;4626440

Thanks, will give it a try. Have some rep!! :thumbsup:

P2P ports will be blocked wont they?

Tor is basically software that "helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy" in order words, it helps you hide from people on the internet..not access blocked stuff..i think.

Since you're in uni, i believe they've restricted those sites..what you need is a proxy server which you can connect to and use as a portal to gain access to the blocked sites. One way is to go here and find a working proxy server..

]http//pr…rg/

or use google to search for more ways round this.

Original Poster Banned

Ye, I didn't have much luck with tor.http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f344/davidhurn/TOR.jpg

Original Poster Banned

t0mm;4626447

P2P ports will be blocked wont they?

Yes they are. I'm absolutely gutted about it!!

It should load, it can take a while.

get the tor button ad on if you have firefox :thumbsup:

If tor doesn't work, I doubt other proxies will. To be honest, you're better off not bothering. You'll only get caught...

The only proper way is to get yourself an external server; you can normally rent one for about 10pounds a month... I'm also at uni like you and it is by far the easiest way. You tunnel all your traffic through the server, and because of this, it allows you to torrent/stream with out any restrictions at all as your IT department will only see it as normal traffic going through port 80. Also, and added benefit is, if you're a member of a private torrent tracker, an external server will have amazing upload speeds, allowing you to increase you ratio like crazy! :P

Original Poster Banned

massmail666;4626510

use a progam called Hotspot Shield Launch, it will defo work. we had the … use a progam called Hotspot Shield Launch, it will defo work. we had the same problem here at work. once installed and run bit torrent will work.

Ok will give it a try, but I doubt it will.

Original Poster Banned

InfernoZeus;4626547

The only proper way is to get yourself an external server; you can … The only proper way is to get yourself an external server; you can normally rent one for about 10pounds a month... I'm also at uni like you and it is by far the easiest way. You tunnel all your traffic through the server, and because of this, it allows you to torrent/stream with out any restrictions at all as your IT department will only see it as normal traffic going through port 80. Also, and added benefit is, if you're a member of a private torrent tracker, an external server will have amazing upload speeds, allowing you to increase you ratio like crazy! :P

Could you advise where I could get one from? Are they easy to set up?

Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition77883
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!77
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…1111
    4. Win a trip to Dublin, with Ireland.com via Classic FM23

See more discussions