Is there any way to get a receipt for something purchased from John Lewis more than 3 months ago?

Found 28th Apr 2016
Bought a Surface 3 from someone on Gumtree. They bought it from John Lewis (2 year warranty, good news), but don't have the receipt. They do have the bank statement with the date on which it was purchased...however, John Lewis don't seem to be able to search for receipts older than 3 months on their instore machines.

Has any one had any experience of getting receipts older than 3 months from JL?

9 Comments

They must be stored somewhere so if not instore then try head office

Ask them for a VAT receipt. Just let them m know the rough date you bought it, the name on payment card etc and you should be alright.

Original Poster

Steve Mac

Ask them for a VAT receipt. Just let them m know the rough date you … Ask them for a VAT receipt. Just let them m know the rough date you bought it, the name on payment card etc and you should be alright.

Good thinking. Will do that

wenttoabetterplace

Good thinking. Will do that

No worries, I do it at ASDA when their fuel pumps don't give a receipt.

a bank statement showing the purchase should be enough, it's legal

Original Poster

nia112001

a bank statement showing the purchase should be enough, it's legal

The problem is, I didn't purchase it originally - but I DO want the 2 year warranty

I bought it anyway as it was a steal at the price offered. Getting the JL receipt will be the icing on the cake...so I'm going down the VAT receipt route

Steve Mac

Ask them for a VAT receipt. Just let them m know the rough date you … Ask them for a VAT receipt. Just let them m know the rough date you bought it, the name on payment card etc and you should be alright.

The OP didn't buy the item from John Lewis and John Lewis haven't collected VAT from him. Isn't asking for a receipt of VAT not paid tax fraud?

Original Poster

missleading

The OP didn't buy the item from John Lewis and John Lewis haven't … The OP didn't buy the item from John Lewis and John Lewis haven't collected VAT from him. Isn't asking for a receipt of VAT not paid tax fraud?

I am not asking for a tax receipt for myself. I am asking for it on behalf of the original buyer (who is happy to help with getting the receipt - and will forward it to me once JL have given it to her)

Banned

If the original purchaser used their my JL card they will have a copy of the receipt in their online account.
Post a comment
@
    Text