Is there any way to get out of Car Insurance auto renewal?

Found 18th May 2015
I've just checked my bank statement and realized that Admiral car insurance has automatically renewed my cover for another year on the 7th of this month.
Is there any way I can get out of renewing with them as they charged me £242 and I can get the same cover for £178.
I'm guessing its probably to late but its rather annoying as I haven't received a reminder or warning
Community Updates
10 Comments
auto renewal is nearly alway more expensive, ring them to see if there is a cooling off period. they might reduce the price anyway if you say you can't afford it.
You will be able to cancel but you'll probably have to pay a cancellation fee (which may or may not be on top of the charge for the insurance you've had from the 7th until now). I think the cancellation fee is about £50 so you might be better just leaving it this time and making sure that you cancel it next time around.
I would be surprised if you manage to cancel it and end up in profit by switching to the other.

Call them and ask.

Btw, you probably did get a renewal notice telling you what your new premium was going to be, and you missed it.

Edited by: "deeky" 18th May 2015
deeky

You will be able to cancel but you'll probably have to pay a cancellation … You will be able to cancel but you'll probably have to pay a cancellation fee (which may or may not be on top of the charge for the insurance you've had from the 7th until now). I think the cancellation fee is about £50 so you might be better just leaving it this time and making sure that you cancel it next time around.I would be surprised if you manage to cancel it and end up in profit by switching to the other.Call them and ask. Btw, you probably did get a renewal notice telling you what your new premium was going to be, and you missed it.

With Admiral myself. They will normally quite aggressively drop in price to match competitors, just do try and ask them. (Renewal is always more).

I do find Admiral very good year on year with price (especially with multicar).
EagleUK

With Admiral myself. They will normally quite aggressively drop in price … With Admiral myself. They will normally quite aggressively drop in price to match competitors, just do try and ask them. (Renewal is always more).I do find Admiral very good year on year with price (especially with multicar).

I had a fantastic quote from E-sure 2 years ago. My premium for 2 cars dropped from over £1100 to less than £700, then dropped further on my last renewal. I would urge anyone to give them a try before buying/renewing.
They usually inform you via a renewal quote so you should have had a warning of the renewal.
As I understand the rules, they are obliged to send you a renewal notice 28 days before the end of the policy informing you that the policy will auto-renew. I recently rang the RAC as I had not received the letter and I didn't want to renew, they came up with a date that the letter was sent and said if it auto renewed I would have to cancel the policy with their standard deductions, which was a lot. But, it is very difficult to prove that you did not receive a letter sent by an organisation, so I reckon you are a bit stuck, unless you want to go as far as a complaint to the ombudsman.
There will be a cooling off period, ring them.
Banned
Simply tell them you do not want to renew
see link for your rights, note term reasonable admin charges for cancellation. most of these seem quite unreasonable to me.
confused.com/car…hts
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their advice. As suggested I contacted Admiral as asked to cancel, They said there was a £25 cancelation fee if I left but they also offered me a better price of £201 for the same policy which I took them up on.
thanks again for all you help
Ben
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants