Expired

Is there any way to insure a second hand phone?

Found 18th Jan 2014
Hi guys, I bought a phone from cex and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that would insure it? My past 2 phones were dropped and ended up with smashed screens. So was wondering how much it'd cost for insurance ( this phone will be dropped at some point I've no doubt...). I know protect my bubble requires it to be a new phone so probably won't allow a cex bought phone.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Community Updates
AskInsuranceiPhonePhones
13 Comments
Yeah probably no one will insure it.
cannot see why not so long as there is insurable interest. However the premium charged may not be worth it
The phone is the nexus 5 (was only released late last year). I had a pile of CEX credit so decided to buy from there instead of direct from google.

Any ideas where I could go to get it insured?
Check your bank account benefits. We are with natwest and both phones are covered with our account.
hero9989

The phone is the nexus 5 (was only released late last year). I had a pile … The phone is the nexus 5 (was only released late last year). I had a pile of CEX credit so decided to buy from there instead of direct from google. Any ideas where I could go to get it insured?

Is it new then?
whatsThePoint

http://www.money.co.uk/mobile-phone-insurance.htm?t=1118585&u=b10db73960f

Thanks for the link, I've emailed a few of the companies from that list to see if they will insure it with it being second hand, couldn't find it anywhere on their websites.

julieblake507

Check your bank account benefits. We are with natwest and both phones are … Check your bank account benefits. We are with natwest and both phones are covered with our account.

What did you have to do to activate the phone insurance? I'm with barclays and they do have something that includes phone insurance. But what would I have to do to actually activate it? I doubt it'd just auto-apply to any phone I buy :P

biddilybah

Is it new then?

Bought from CEX, everything there is classed as used. It was grade A, still had original screen protector on it, ect. But since I don't have the receipt from the original purchase, it counts as used or second hand.
As long as it hasn't been activated, and you have the CEX receipt, can you not claim it is new?

I know CEX deal in second hand goods, but alot of the latest gadgets and phones tend to be new anyway. Could be worth contacting protect your bubble and seeing what their policy is regarding it.

Otherwise, do you have house insurance? Sometimes, they will cover it. I know mine allows me to cover my phone outside the house.
I have personal possessions cover included in my contents insurance, all I need is proof of ownership and they'll pay out, exactly what is classed as proof of ownership I'm not sure. Will have to find that out.
I have personal possession cover with accidental damage on the house insurance and had to claim for the sons S4 when he dropped it and cracked the screen. All they wanted was the IMEI number so they could work out the exact model. only cost £35 excess. As far as I know, house insurance is new for old anyway so it shouldn't matter if its second hand.
Is it an apple phone?

Just seen thats its a nexus 5, in that case buy a silicon cover and a pouch and you are sorted.
If it was an apple , then i was going to say it is better of damaged
Edited by: "lumsdot" 19th Jan 2014
How about a £5 case?
I got the bank account insurance last year, and then discovered my phone is only covered if it is less than 2 yrs old.

My iPhone is 3 yrs old. Insurance cancelled and unable to find anything else suitable.
Where did you insure your first hand phone?

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/tritooth/tritooth0711/tritooth071101123/2125839-woman-on-a-comedy-hand-phone-with-baseball-hat-and-tishirt-over-white.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants