Groups

is there anything like the magic eye with Sky TV for a second room for youview with BT please?

is there anything like the magic eye with Sky TV for a second room for youview with BT please?

53 Comments

get some video sender's [u]

Original Poster

My current setup is Sky + HD box in the lounge, with coax cables leading from RF2 to bedroom upstairs with magic eye on the end connected to upstairs TV. The TV is fully functional with Sky to watch all our recordings etc. and remote to change channel record etc.

We are now getting BT in next few weeks and want same setup with coaxial cable but looking at it the youview box doesn't have an RF2. I want to use current setup and not video senders if possible.

Can anyone help with how I can get the youview box programs/recordings upstairs using this cable?

Don't want multiroom either as want to watch recordings as we do now with Sky.

The new sky wifi boxes also don't have rf2. I have the same set up as you except my coax goes to tge attic not the bedroom and into the aerial Splitter so every tv in the house has sky with the magic eye.
    I'd miss that too much to change at the mo. Interested to see what work arounds others do, video senders just don't cut it.

A triax tri-link kit will allow you to use your current magic eye set up and will work with any box or Dvds player etc including the new sky box
    Edited by: "deckysw" 12th Aug 2016

deckysw

A triax kit will allow you to use your current magic eye set up and will … A triax kit will allow you to use your current magic eye set up and will work with any box or Dvds player etc including the new sky box

I did a search but can't find what this is, more details please!

mosskeeto

I did a search but can't find what this is, more details please!

I have edited my post the full name is a Triax Tri-Link kit Amazon is about the cheapest for them approx £42 for them.

deckysw

A triax tri-link kit will allow you to use your current magic eye set up … A triax tri-link kit will allow you to use your current magic eye set up and will work with any box or Dvds player etc including the new sky box

Thanks for posting this. Exactly what i was looking for to replace my Sky RF2 setup with Virgin Tivo around the house

Original Poster

deckysw

I have edited my post the full name is a Triax Tri-Link kit Amazon is … I have edited my post the full name is a Triax Tri-Link kit Amazon is about the cheapest for them approx £42 for them.

thanks for the help. do you know if the BT Ultra HD youview box has a scart as the listing on amazon says a scart is needed for this to work is that right?​

nwressell

thanks for the help. do you know if the BT Ultra HD youview box has a … thanks for the help. do you know if the BT Ultra HD youview box has a scart as the listing on amazon says a scart is needed for this to work is that right?​

Most boxes that don't have a scart socket usually have RCA sockets (red,yellow and white connectors) this is what I had to use a RCA to scart lead

Original Poster

deckysw

Most boxes that don't have a scart socket usually have RCA sockets … Most boxes that don't have a scart socket usually have RCA sockets (red,yellow and white connectors) this is what I had to use a RCA to scart lead

​so it will work with RCA to scart then if the box has RCA?

Original Poster

deckysw

Most boxes that don't have a scart socket usually have RCA sockets … Most boxes that don't have a scart socket usually have RCA sockets (red,yellow and white connectors) this is what I had to use a RCA to scart lead

​just check it only has aerial in, aerial out, USB, SPDIF, HDMI & Ethernet only! am I screwed

nwressell

​just check it only has aerial in, aerial out, USB, SPDIF, HDMI & E … ​just check it only has aerial in, aerial out, USB, SPDIF, HDMI & Ethernet only! am I screwed

Aerial out that's perfect that is your RF out that will work much better than the scart set up

Original Poster

deckysw

Aerial out that's perfect that is your RF out that will work much better … Aerial out that's perfect that is your RF out that will work much better than the scart set up

​so still go with the kit you mentioned above then?

nwressell

​so still go with the kit you mentioned above then?

Yes it will work perfectly but there is possibly is something cheaper on the market as this kit is more focused on making a RF signal which you don't need as you already have a RF out. But in my opinion it would still be a good buy for you as you could also connect a blu ray player to it as well or something similar and be able to control it from another room via the magic eye.

Original Poster

deckysw

Yes it will work perfectly but there is possibly is something cheaper on … Yes it will work perfectly but there is possibly is something cheaper on the market as this kit is more focused on making a RF signal which you don't need as you already have a RF out. But in my opinion it would still be a good buy for you as you could also connect a blu ray player to it as well or something similar and be able to control it from another room via the magic eye.

​its an aerial out not RF2 like sky box tho is that right? will that kit you mentioned sort all that for me?

nwressell

​its an aerial out not RF2 like sky box tho is that right? will that kit y … ​its an aerial out not RF2 like sky box tho is that right? will that kit you mentioned sort all that for me?

The rf2 on a sky box just means it has a 9v power source on it. Your RF won't have a 9v power which the magic eyes require to work the triax kit will sort out the 9v power for you. If you are going to order the kit make sure you order yourself 'F' connectors as the coax leads fit onto the triax box via F connectors the same connectors that is on satellite coax. They are only about 10p each and in your case you will only need 2. Search youtube for the triax kit and you will see it working. I know I didn't want to move away from $ky as I didn't want to lose the magic eye feature. Then I found this and bye bye $ky.

Original Poster

deckysw

The rf2 on a sky box just means it has a 9v power source on it. Your RF … The rf2 on a sky box just means it has a 9v power source on it. Your RF won't have a 9v power which the magic eyes require to work the triax kit will sort out the 9v power for you. If you are going to order the kit make sure you order yourself 'F' connectors as the coax leads fit onto the triax box via F connectors the same connectors that is on satellite coax. They are only about 10p each and in your case you will only need 2. Search youtube for the triax kit and you will see it working. I know I didn't want to move away from $ky as I didn't want to lose the magic eye feature. Then I found this and bye bye $ky.

​Thank you for your help. Have ordered the kit now and look forward to setting it up Monday. could find much on the net and it's things like this that make me love HUKD. have you got BT Ultra HD box yourself?

nwressell

​Thank you for your help. Have ordered the kit now and look forward to s … ​Thank you for your help. Have ordered the kit now and look forward to setting it up Monday. could find much on the net and it's things like this that make me love HUKD. have you got BT Ultra HD box yourself?

Glad to be of help. I am using a freesat box just. You won't have much trouble setting it up power in, aerial in and aerial out via the 9v port, plug in the remote senders and place in front of your box. Select the RF signal on the triax box that you want it to distribute round the house. If your signal on one of your slave tv's is fussy then just keep screwing up the aerial gain screw till you get a clearer picture. Simples

Original Poster

deckysw

Glad to be of help. I am using a freesat box just. You won't have much … Glad to be of help. I am using a freesat box just. You won't have much trouble setting it up power in, aerial in and aerial out via the 9v port, plug in the remote senders and place in front of your box. Select the RF signal on the triax box that you want it to distribute round the house. If your signal on one of your slave tv's is fussy then just keep screwing up the aerial gain screw till you get a clearer picture. Simples

​It keeps mentioning about using scart on info and youtube but I take it I ignore this and I use aerial out from BT Youview Ultra HD box to aerial in on Triax kit, then connect aerial RF2 from Triax kit to my coax cable going to loft and distribution to other rooms? sorry for all the questions you seem to know what your talking about.

nwressell

​It keeps mentioning about using scart on info and youtube but I take it I … ​It keeps mentioning about using scart on info and youtube but I take it I ignore this and I use aerial out from BT Youview Ultra HD box to aerial in on Triax kit, then connect aerial RF2 from Triax kit to my coax cable going to loft and distribution to other rooms? sorry for all the questions you seem to know what your talking about.

Yes you are perfectly correct forget about the scart because basically in your set up its aerial in, aerial out via the 9v port on the triax box that's it.

You tube and triax focus on the scart because that is the main selling point for this box most people buying this box don't have a RF out on their box but this box can convert the scart signal into a RF out allowing them to use magic eyes again.

Original Poster

received the TRIAX kit this morning from amazon and unfortunately it doesn't work. the aerial out is only a loop through apparently so will not send the signal from downstairs upstairs only a aerial signal which we have.

nwressell

received the TRIAX kit this morning from amazon and unfortunately it … received the TRIAX kit this morning from amazon and unfortunately it doesn't work. the aerial out is only a loop through apparently so will not send the signal from downstairs upstairs only a aerial signal which we have.

Just double check the following in case you missed something because they do work. Have you got the triax box plugged in to the power adapter have you the aerial in and the aerial out via the powered 9v port and have you the 2 little remote eyes plugged in and placed in front of the box you want to control. Have you checked at one of your magic eyes in another room to see if the led light is on.

nwressell

received the TRIAX kit this morning from amazon and unfortunately it … received the TRIAX kit this morning from amazon and unfortunately it doesn't work. the aerial out is only a loop through apparently so will not send the signal from downstairs upstairs only a aerial signal which we have.

The triax box doesn't work the same way as the sky box. On the sky box it sends the remote signal directly into the sky box via the coax cable.
    With the triax system it sends the remote signal back to the triax box which in turn changes it into a infra red signal and is sent out via the 2 small eyes that is plugged into the triax box via the jack plug into the IR port beside the rf2 port which you need to place in front of the box you want to control.
    Its the 2 small eyes that act like holding a remote in front of the box you want to control.
    Just double check everything there is something simple you have missed out or you have a bad connection but if you have a bad connection this will show up because the magic eye in your other room wont have the led light on.

Edited by: "deckysw" 13th Aug 2016

Original Poster

trying again. but I'm not seeing the egg menu only a TV signal! have you taken yours from Aerial out then?

nwressell

trying again. but I'm not seeing the egg menu only a TV signal! have you … trying again. but I'm not seeing the egg menu only a TV signal! have you taken yours from Aerial out then?

In theory in makes no difference what way the triax box is feed.
    If you just do this forget about your aerial in
    Plug in the IR sensors into the jack plug port and place in front of your you view box
    Plug in your upstairs coax cable into the rf2 port
    Plug in the power supply into the triax box
    Turn the triax box on. You should have a green led
    Now go upstairs turn on your tv I know you wont have a picture as you have no aerial in yet but check that the led light is lit up on the magic eye in that tv
    If it is on then it is working just press menu or something on your youview remote upstairs then go down and check your main tv to see if its on the menu screen you selected.
    Hope this all makes sense to you what I am trying to show you is forget about how its feed it makes no difference the magic just happens via the rf2 cable and the IR port eyes

Sorry I am reading your comment again are you not getting a picture on your slave tv is that what you are saying. Are you sure you are tunned into the correct channel frequency as selected on the triax box. If so just keep turning up the gain screw it turns in multiple times to boost up your aerial signal to your upstairs tvs.

Original Poster

deckysw

Sorry I am reading your comment again are you not getting a picture on … Sorry I am reading your comment again are you not getting a picture on your slave tv is that what you are saying. Are you sure you are tunned into the correct channel frequency as selected on the triax box. If so just keep turning up the gain screw it turns in multiple times to boost up your aerial signal to your upstairs tvs.

​me thinks I have a faulty unit! amazon sending a new one on Monday now doh! try again Monday night

nwressell

​me thinks I have a faulty unit! amazon sending a new one on Monday now d … ​me thinks I have a faulty unit! amazon sending a new one on Monday now doh! try again Monday night

My brother in law had the same problem on his turned out to be a bad connection at his aerial which was sending a bad signal to the triax box also when corrected he had to screw his gain up all the way. This is why I wanted you to try the remote feature without the aerial cable connected and just have the triax as a stand alone

Original Poster

for peace of mind I have connected a 2nd tv from aeiral out on the youview box to aerial in on the tv and I'm not getting any picture either.

nwressell

for peace of mind I have connected a 2nd tv from aeiral out on the … for peace of mind I have connected a 2nd tv from aeiral out on the youview box to aerial in on the tv and I'm not getting any picture either.

You mean directly from your you view box directly into another tv and you are getting no signal is this correct? Is it definitely and RF out on the you view box?
    Previous to this triax set up did you not have your you view box feeding the rest of the house?
    It is quite possible although unusual that you might have to activate the RF signal on the you view box in the menu it might only put out a hdmi signal.
    Let's go back to the beginning tell me what way your cables were coming in to your tv etc

Original Poster

I have tried from youview box aerial out to another tv an no picture of anything. the youview box is new had sky feeding house before. I did turn on youview rf loop through via the setting and still no picture coming out it only powers the digital TV channels as an aerial from what I can tell. is that right?

Original Poster

Original Poster

nwressell

​ back of box

Original Poster

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/sites/18/images/article_images_month/2015-10/bt4kreview%2002.jpg

nwressell

I have googled RF out on youview box and it isn't a RF out it is a loop for your aerial signal in and back out so this is your problem it doesn't transmit a signal it's only a loop is is pretty much pointless

Original Poster

deckysw

I have googled RF out on youview box and it isn't a RF out it is a loop … I have googled RF out on youview box and it isn't a RF out it is a loop for your aerial signal in and back out so this is your problem it doesn't transmit a signal it's only a loop is is pretty much pointless

​doh so the kit won't work then!

I think the issue is that the youview box doesn't display it's picture via the aerial connector, it just passes through the signal from your antenna. This setup isn't going to work.

I had thought that you had your youview box already feeding to different tv's previous to this but you just hadn't got the ability to change channels via the magic eye. That's why I didn't question you when you said you had a RF out on your youview box. There still has to be a solution out there did you google youview box room distribution to see if there is something else out there.
    But as it stands yes the triax box will still allow you to change channels via the magic eye but this is pretty much useless when you can't transmit the picture. So short answer is no without a feed for the triax box it won't work

Original Poster

would a Hdmi to scart convertor not sort this issue, found some on ebay ebay.co.uk/itm…168
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1918
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30124
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251370
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876389

See more discussions