Expired

is there anyway of putting googlemaps as my satnav on my dash in new Mercedes?

Found 11th Jul 2016
I really love the accuracy of googlemaps on my phone and really would like it on the dash in my new car. Is there anywhere I can get someone to hack the system to be able to play out my phone's googlemaps on the dash or do I have to use garmin which is already built in?
Community Updates
AskSat NavMercedes
17 Comments
I'd like to be corrected but I believe you need a car which is compatible with Android Auto:

android auto
I would imaging a company like garmin, not allowing it or making it impossible to do, it's not just hacking it it would be making it compatible with the current software on the garmin or making it load up, so all in all I highly doubt it, I have the same garmin built in sat nav in my new company car, it's utter garbage
Andriod auto is just a screen. You plug a androd phone into it, the connector being In the glove locker which many don't like. Im not sure it's going to be popular. I myself use my old samsung s3 mounted on a vent so cool air blows over it to keep it cool. I don't like using my main phone as a satnav for many reasons... I also agree with you. Google maps is the best but I have here maps app as a offline backup. I also run a safety camera alert app on s3 however, it's a bit of messing around to set up before I head off.
Oh. I should of added. I have heard folks mount a tablet In the dash and use as a satnav and music player. It's a bit of a gray area because you can watch films and do things your not supposed to on it which are disabled with other in car entertainment systems, this may be why you don't see them about.
You are only here to make us jealous that you have a new Merc.
I have a w203 merc so probably not as sophisticated as your head unit, I replaced the factory fitted head unit with a pioneer one which supports mirrorlink. It's amazing, it uses google maps for navigation, Spotify & poweramp (or any other player) for music and pretty much any other app you want can run on it. I also use dashcommand to link up with my cars OBD port to display car stats, it looks amazing. Of course you'd need to change the head unit, the w203's head unit was basic anyway so it was a no brainer for me but so glad I did!
dirty_stan

I have a w203 merc so probably not as sophisticated as your head unit, I … I have a w203 merc so probably not as sophisticated as your head unit, I replaced the factory fitted head unit with a pioneer one which supports mirrorlink. It's amazing, it uses google maps for navigation, Spotify & poweramp (or any other player) for music and pretty much any other app you want can run on it. I also use dashcommand to link up with my cars OBD port to display car stats, it looks amazing. Of course you'd need to change the head unit, the w203's head unit was basic anyway so it was a no brainer for me but so glad I did!

that sounds the best way. Can you send me some pics would love to replicate a system like that.
nope not possible. what mercedes do you have? I find the mecedes sat nav kits are awesome. depending what model you have, you may have the sat nav module sitting in your glovevox which easily pops out. This module usually is made by Becker and so you can only install maps they supply on it. but really I find this kit quick and accurate.
J4GG4

nope not possible. what mercedes do you have? I find the mecedes sat nav … nope not possible. what mercedes do you have? I find the mecedes sat nav kits are awesome. depending what model you have, you may have the sat nav module sitting in your glovevox which easily pops out. This module usually is made by Becker and so you can only install maps they supply on it. but really I find this kit quick and accurate.

​its the new c class and using garmin which I find not as good as Google maps.
nwressell

​its the new c class and using garmin which I find not as good as Google m … ​its the new c class and using garmin which I find not as good as Google maps.

​yes I can see that the newer kits are garmin map pilots. I am more familiar with the Becker map pilots which are excellent.

if you want android in your car you need something like this.
https://youtu.be/Qgky_V7wapI

by the way your car is a w205.
J4GG4

​yes I can see that the newer kits are garmin map pilots. I am more f … ​yes I can see that the newer kits are garmin map pilots. I am more familiar with the Becker map pilots which are excellent.if you want android in your car you need something like this.https://youtu.be/Qgky_V7wapIby the way your car is a w205.

That is exactly what I am after, do you know if it is available yet and if so who makes it etc? I want one of these.
Just be careful if your planning on taking out or messing with the command system the electronics on the car are controlled from this system from the boot opening to the lighting,
wayners

Andriod auto is just a screen. You plug a androd phone into it, the … Andriod auto is just a screen. You plug a androd phone into it, the connector being In the glove locker which many don't like. Im not sure it's going to be popular. I myself use my old samsung s3 mounted on a vent so cool air blows over it to keep it cool. I don't like using my main phone as a satnav for many reasons... I also agree with you. Google maps is the best but I have here maps app as a offline backup. I also run a safety camera alert app on s3 however, it's a bit of messing around to set up before I head off.

What utter rubbish. I have android auto factory installed system and it connects to my phone via bluetooth.

OP I'd take on board tasape comment as my friend had an issue with his AMG C63 and had mumbled something to me the other day it was caused by something to do with what tasape was saying I think. Pass was too busy keeping him going that his reliable Merc had been back to garage from new more times than my Alfa has ever seen a garage!
I've got a 2011 W204 Merc - however the Bluetooth will not pick up my Android phone or my Girlfriends I-Phone. but I've found the navigation to be pretty good. I used to use the phone in my old car just going by the voice commands, but it has been a bit vague at times.
The Merc navigation is more precise and gives you more warnings before you need to turn.
cecilmcroberts

What utter rubbish. I have android auto factory installed system and it … What utter rubbish. I have android auto factory installed system and it connects to my phone via bluetooth. OP I'd take on board tasape comment as my friend had an issue with his AMG C63 and had mumbled something to me the other day it was caused by something to do with what tasape was saying I think. Pass was too busy keeping him going that his reliable Merc had been back to garage from new more times than my Alfa has ever seen a garage!

​I based my comment on a American andriod podcast where the presenter bought a new card with andriod auto fitted. Is was stupid money to! The connector for phone was in the glove box. Maybe American law is different to UK? Not seen one myself.
nwressell

That is exactly what I am after, do you know if it is available yet and … That is exactly what I am after, do you know if it is available yet and if so who makes it etc? I want one of these.

As it'll be aftermarket, you'll likely have to settle with some chinese brands. The chinese brands range from poor quality (especially the audio sound/internal amp) to quite good quality. I've used and even fitted windows and android based chinese systems and some have been amazing. I'd imagine for your car you'll need to spend quite a bit if you want a completely new screen in the car, as your existing one likely wont have the relevant connections on the back to connect a aftermarket unit. The good news is if you sell your existing one on you'll get quite a bit of money for it which could likely pay off the purchase of a android kit.

Give these guys a email:

indiwork.co.kr/
wayners

Oh. I should of added. I have heard folks mount a tablet In the dash and … Oh. I should of added. I have heard folks mount a tablet In the dash and use as a satnav and music player. It's a bit of a gray area because you can watch films and do things your not supposed to on it which are disabled with other in car entertainment systems, this may be why you don't see them about.

tablets? isn't that a bit excessive/large??!
I have a 6+ on an osomount with a data SIM. plays tunes and runs google maps.
I'm not sure about the video argument as almost all phones play videos (youtube, netflix etc) but i've never seen anyone use it for that at the wheel (but have heard of it happen). if you look at uber drivers, many of them have 1-2 phones on their dash - it's legal to use a driving aid on the road like a satnav or satnav app
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants