Expired

Is there anyway to escalate a dispute to ebay faster?

Found 12th Jan 2012
To cut a long story short I bought a laptop on ebay. It arrived and the screen was considerably damaged and not as described.
The seller is being a nightmare and is telling me if it was not as how it was listed then he will deduct parts of the refund in order to repair it. I told him if it was damaged in transit then he has to make a claim with Parcelforce and not punish me who has owned it all for 40 minutes. It was packaged pretty poor so this I'm claiming seller negligence.

He is refusing to listen to the whole point of why I opened the dispute. We're not getting anywhere - is there any way to get ebay involved quicker than waiting the 8 days?
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Nope.
deleted265520
Adam2050

Nope.

Short and sweet.

The whole process is flawed. They tell you to contact the buyer before opening a claim, however, if you can't resolve the issue and open a claim they still make you wait 8 days "to resolve any issues with the seller" lol.

I should have went direct through paypal but now as I've opened a case through ebay paypal won't let me lol
As above, at least they'll find in your favor.. even though it is a pain having to wait. Pretty sure you'd have had to wait with Paypal as well wouldnt you?

Its my all time favourite when they put in their listings that they'll send you the receipt etc if your item goes missing or gets damaged.. Errrr no, youre responsible for making sure it gets to me safely, most of the sellers dont realise this or think they can get away with trying to leave you to sort it.
Give them a ring on this number and they should hopefully be able to help you quicker, they helped me when I received a faulty item.
Laptop off eBay? Are you mad?

Go here - apple.com/uk/…ro/ order new laptop, sit back and wait for next delivery with proper packaging. Enjoy life-changing laptop usage!
deleted265520
Nikki999

As above, at least they'll find in your favor.. even though it is a pain … As above, at least they'll find in your favor.. even though it is a pain having to wait. Pretty sure you'd have had to wait with Paypal as well wouldnt you?Its my all time favourite when they put in their listings that they'll send you the receipt etc if your item goes missing or gets damaged.. Errrr no, youre responsible for making sure it gets to me safely, most of the sellers dont realise this or think they can get away with trying to leave you to sort it.

He's made up some awful return policy that doesn't comply with ebay's, however, he is refusing to listen to me lol.

Within half an hour of signing for the item I had sent him pictures of the fault yet he still he refused to believe me lol. The whole case is opened because of item not as described yet he is still stating if not returned in the condition that he sent it in then he will deduct for the cost of repair fees.

Ended up sending pictures of the packaging. The idiot had only place a single layer of bubble wrap over the top of it which left room in the small box for the laptop to move around. No wonder it got damaged.

@mc: I was on a budget and needed something cheap and cheerful for word processing
dtovey89

He's made up some awful return policy that doesn't comply with ebay's, … He's made up some awful return policy that doesn't comply with ebay's, however, he is refusing to listen to me lol.Within half an hour of signing for the item I had sent him pictures of the fault yet he still he refused to believe me lol. The whole case is opened because of item not as described yet he is still stating if not returned in the condition that he sent it in then he will deduct for the cost of repair fees.Ended up sending pictures of the packaging. The idiot had only place a single layer of bubble wrap over the top of it which left room in the small box for the laptop to move around. No wonder it got damaged.@mc: I was on a budget and needed something cheap and cheerful for word processing

He's subject to trading standards rules not his own. Ebay is meant to enforce these.
deleted265520
Thanks for the help guys. Just power quoted Adam in the dispute lol.

There is no way I am being deducted repair fees. The laptop only cost me £99 plus postage so a screen repair would probably cost more than this. He can't seem to understand that it is his responsibility to ensure I receive it as described and any damage in transit must be resolved with the courier service after refunding me.
Yeh as above dont worry about it you will get full refund. But nxt time just do it through paypal directly its much quicker!
I phoned and the situation was resolved that day and ebay even gave me £5 as a goodwill gesture
deleted265520
gemmybobs

I phoned and the situation was resolved that day and ebay even gave me £5 … I phoned and the situation was resolved that day and ebay even gave me £5 as a goodwill gesture

Is it a free to call number and is it automated?
Buyers’ rights: Sale of Goods Act

The buyer is entitled to goods that are:

as described,
of satisfactory quality,
fit for their purpose,
yours to sell (e.g. not stolen, or still on Hire Purchase).
What if the goods fail to meet these standards?

If the goods fail to meet these standards when the buyer receives and inspects them, they can reject them.

A business buyer, however, cannot reject goods if the breach is slight and rejection would be unreasonable.

When the buyer rejects goods, they can claim a full refund, including all postage costs, plus compensation for any other losses which occur. This can include the extra cost of buying a satisfactory replacement elsewhere, or compensation for any damage caused by the goods.

If the buyer delays in making a complaint, or if a fault or misdescription comes to light some time after delivery, the buyer may only be able to claim a repair, replacement goods or compensation. However, the buyer’s rights against you, the seller, remain in force throughout the reasonable life of the goods. This is often longer than a manufacturer’s guarantee period.

What if the goods are damaged in transit?
If you are selling to a consumer, you are responsible for the risk of loss or damage in transit, until the goods are delivered. If you wish to take out postal insurance, this is your responsibility, not the consumer’s. Postal insurance should therefore not be offered to consumers at an extra charge.

If you are selling to a business, they are responsible for the risk of loss or damage to the goods as soon as ownership passes to them. This normally happens when payment is made, so you may wish to offer postal insurance to business buyers, and you may wish to make an extra charge for this. If you do offer postal insurance, the buyer will expect you to make any claim on their behalf when the goods are lost or damaged.

Keep on in the hopes theyll see sense, dont get nasty just keep providing relevant info and links.. The seller wont get around it and Im sure his Paypal will just end up frozen when they put your money/refund on hold and try to recover it (assuming its been spent already), no matter how useless Ebay and Paypal are sometimes, they will find in your favor on this.
If the buyer delays in making a complaint, or if a fault or misdescription comes to light some time after delivery, the buyer may only be able to claim a repair, replacement goods or compensation. However, the buyer’s rights against you, the seller, remain in force throughout the reasonable life of the goods. This is often longer than a manufacturer’s guarantee period.

< Make sure you put that point in your next email! Youve reported it asap.. He just needs to suck it up and pay up.
Im the bubble-wrap Queen when it comes to Ebay, I probably annoy people with my packaging and tape, but its better safe than sorry!
deleted265520
Thanks Nikki have just quoted the majority of that in the claim.
You will make sure to package my vita* nice & safely wont you? (_;)

*I know you said you're not buying one but we both know you will and that you will flog it off within 10 days of opening it...
deleted265520
Flodd

You will make sure to package my vita* nice & safely wont you? (_;)*I … You will make sure to package my vita* nice & safely wont you? (_;)*I know you said you're not buying one but we both know you will and that you will flog it off within 10 days of opening it...

lul too expensive
dtovey89

lul too expensive

Not to a man of your considerable wealth...

Bloody students, etc, etc...
deleted265520
Flodd

Not to a man of your considerable wealth...Bloody students, etc, etc...

I'm skint

Beastly laptop gone, tablet in process of going, no Vita
Just got a PSP 3003 and using my girlfriend's notebook to write my dissertation on lol. Buying a new car this week and insuring it one go is far more important than all of the above.
whats the item number and is he a business seller
Adam2050

He's subject to trading standards rules not his own. Ebay is meant to … He's subject to trading standards rules not his own. Ebay is meant to enforce these.

This is all well and good, but if he's a private seller, none of that applies.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants