Is there anywhere you can rent a TV for a single month?

Found 16th Jan 2012
Hi, our 40" Samsung has developed a fault and has a snowstorm effect going on at random intervals so we're going to return it. Trouble is - they can take up to 14 days just for the technical team to do their thing with it and we (as a family) watch a lot of TV; we don't really want to be without a TV! As well as that, we're paying £n for Sky+HD and lovefilm so don't really want to be wasting that!
There's a 26" TV in my bedroom which will come down if need be but I was wondering if anyone knew of any company that does short term rentals (specifically in the East Cheshire area).

Thanks in advance guys!
Community Updates
MiscTV
34 Comments
Can you not get a replacement TV from the company doing the repair whilst yours is being looked at?
Isn't that places like Brighthouse (or whatever they're called) that do stuff like this? I'm not sure if there would be a minimum term in place though. Here's a list of places that Yell revealed.
Ask for a replacement set whilst yours is being repaired, JL did this for me.
Buy one from Argos then take it back within the 28 days??
Use it as a break from the 'idiot box', take your family out, play some board games, enjoy a good book.
Do family stuff that doesn't involve the TV for a month. You'll never meet someone on their death bed saying they regret not watching more TV.
Banned
oddballjamie

Use it as a break from the 'idiot box', take your family out, play some … Use it as a break from the 'idiot box', take your family out, play some board games, enjoy a good book.Do family stuff that doesn't involve the TV for a month. You'll never meet someone on their death bed saying they regret not watching more TV.

^^^^^^^ this, pretty shocking to see someone post about not having tv for maybe 2 weeks, especially when they have another one in the same house
i can lend u my spare 42" LED @ no cost, near epping location.
oddballjamie

Use it as a break from the 'idiot box', take your family out, play some … Use it as a break from the 'idiot box', take your family out, play some board games, enjoy a good book.Do family stuff that doesn't involve the TV for a month. You'll never meet someone on their death bed saying they regret not watching more TV.

lol, I read that as 'enjoy a good bonk'.
sickly sweet

lol, I read that as 'enjoy a good bonk'.

Yeah that too
Banned
oddballjamie

I am not a fan of TV either.
DLM

I am not a fan of TV either.

Nor will you find someone on their death bed complaining that they did not play more board games. Actually you might- old people seem to like board games.

Anyway I don't watch trash TV but if you have a poor opinion of TV you must be watching the wrong programmes. There are many programmes on TV that show me parts of the world where I will never have the chance to go in person. It brings me the latest news immediately. There are plenty of excellent shows that are intellectually stimulating such as Sherlock.

It takes a real idiot to turn the potential of tv into an 'idiot box'.
Go on freecycle or gumtree and see if anyone has a tv going for free or very cheap in your local area.

You could probably pick up a crt (fat tv) for £20, it's only for two weeks.
Ungreat

Go on freecycle or gumtree and see if anyone has a tv going for free or … Go on freecycle or gumtree and see if anyone has a tv going for free or very cheap in your local area.You could probably pick up a crt (fat tv) for £20, it's only for two weeks.

There are always large crt's going on freecycle. I'm sure you could cope for a few weeks.
Original Poster
I've emailed them to ask if they will provide a replacement, but it was only tesco direct so I doubt they will.
I'd love to do the whole going out with family thing but some of them have to work most of the day and another one is stuck at home having just been in hospital for a month. So he's just meant to sit there on his own contemplating life?
Like I said, if there isn't another option well make do with the small tv as a temporary measure. But the tv from upstairs kinda makes blu rays a bit pointless!
Original Poster
iRuman

i can lend u my spare 42" LED @ no cost, near epping location.

Thank you very much for the offer, very kind indeed!! But assuming you mean Epping in Essex it's a bit far from Cheshire!
brett1985

Nor will you find someone on their death bed complaining that they did … Nor will you find someone on their death bed complaining that they did not play more board games. Actually you might- old people seem to like board games.Anyway I don't watch trash TV but if you have a poor opinion of TV you must be watching the wrong programmes. There are many programmes on TV that show me parts of the world where I will never have the chance to go in person. It brings me the latest news immediately. There are plenty of excellent shows that are intellectually stimulating such as Sherlock.It takes a real idiot to turn the potential of tv into an 'idiot box'.

You'll find plenty who wish they had travelled more or spent more time with their families.
I also enjoy some quality TV shows, mainly American shows and BBC stuff. I'm not a fan of just sitting there watching any old rubbish or endless repeats and arranging my own schedule around the TV schedule. Each to their own.
Op - Here's an idea, use the 26" and sit a bit closer.
Original Poster
oddballjamie

You'll find plenty who wish they had travelled more or spent more time … You'll find plenty who wish they had travelled more or spent more time with their families.I also enjoy some quality TV shows, mainly American shows and BBC stuff. I'm not a fan of just sitting there watching any old rubbish or endless repeats and arranging my own schedule around the TV schedule. Each to their own.

why is everyone judging each other lol I just asked if anyone knew of anywhere you could rent a tv short term. I never stated what I was going to watch as I didn't think that was important. I used watching a lot of tv as a generic statement. The tv in the living room is also used for Blu rays which could be anything, as well as tv shows, as well as playing PS3/360/Wii and also happens to be plugged into a computer. TVs aren't just for engrossing yourself in Jeremy kyle and loose women during the day like some people seem to believe 0.0

oddballjamie

Op - Here's an idea, use the 26" and sit a bit closer.

That however is an idea, just happens to be one I've already said was an option, just not te ideal option
Edited by: "hero9989" 16th Jan 2012
Get the board games out and have some family time.
lethalmoose

Buy one from Argos then take it back within the 28 days??

Argos will not take the tv back after it has been used.
I know this is also not really ideal, but would probably be what I would do if it happened to me, buy a cheap TV as cheap as you can, then chuck it on ebay when you have finished. Not much hassle to be honest and would probably cost you the price to rent it in depreciation.
The British heart foundation shops sell second hand tv's. Donate it back after the month.
Is Forbes Direct still going? They rent things like TV's out, but you might want to check the minimum rental periods on the items and if they even do your area.
On a serious note, look into companies that rent out items for exhibitions, you'll find they have very short minimum term.
funny.onion

The British heart foundation shops sell second hand tv's. Donate it back … The British heart foundation shops sell second hand tv's. Donate it back after the month.

I was going to suggest that as well, they have them for around £10 for the little small ones, and up to £40-50 for a bigger screen.
Come back Radio Rentals, all is forgiven
oddballjamie

You'll find plenty who wish they had travelled more or spent more time … You'll find plenty who wish they had travelled more or spent more time with their families.I also enjoy some quality TV shows, mainly American shows and BBC stuff. I'm not a fan of just sitting there watching any old rubbish or endless repeats and arranging my own schedule around the TV schedule. Each to their own.

Same here really. I do not like to spend all evening watching tv or all day on the net. I usually stick to HBO series, some BBC and possibly some family guy late at night but thats about it.
No tv for a few weeks.........call the police!
Babbabooey

Come back Radio Rentals, all is forgiven

Lol, showing my age a bit now but can sort of remember them and also ones with 50p meters
shopstilldrops

Lol, showing my age a bit now but can sort of remember them and also ones … Lol, showing my age a bit now but can sort of remember them and also ones with 50p meters

lol, I posted in aunty jane's thread as I can remember the meter ones as we had one.
Cant see the problem with using your spare tv, "its a bit too small, it makes blue ray kinda pointless " stop moaning and get over it its only a couple of weeks its not the end of the world
Edited by: "ding" 17th Jan 2012
You could always invest in a 32" lcd with the intention of it becoming your new bedroom TV in two weeks.

You could probably pick one up for a little over £200, granted more expensive than renting but at least you keep it at the end.
Original Poster
csiman

try … try herehttp://www.rentaldeals.co.uk/plasma-tv-rental/?gclid=CJ6dn7Lq1q0CFUhrfAodU0zAnA

Thanks, but I just checked the FAQs, minimum contract of 24 months for new items and 17 months for refurbished.

Ungreat

You could always invest in a 32" lcd with the intention of it becoming … You could always invest in a 32" lcd with the intention of it becoming your new bedroom TV in two weeks.You could probably pick one up for a little over £200, granted more expensive than renting but at least you keep it at the end.

I'm not really desperate for a new TV for the bedroom at the moment. I just bought a new monitor for my PC - I'd get shot if I bought myself a TV as well :P

Outside of buying one and selling it afterwards - doesn't seem like there's anything available in my area. Think I'll just stick with the spare TV for simplicities sake. Hopefully the repair won't take as long as they say! Torchwood S4 will just have to wait until we get the TV back! Thanks for your help everyone.
Edited by: "hero9989" 17th Jan 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants