Is there noise from lift in a block of flats?

Found 31st Jan
Just curious, I was offered a plot in a new built block of flats. Not my first option but it is good for the price. Now I did realise a bit late that one of the walls (kitchen and living) are adjacent to the lift and staircase. That's what I see on the plan. The advantage is I have no common walls with neighbour. How bad is it to have a common wall with the lift shaft? Is it noisy on landing? I never lived in a flat and can't compare. I paid the reservation fee and was told that there are some alternatives which would cost me 2500 - 7500 more per total.
This is for shared ownership so the difference in mortgage amount would be like 750 - 2250.

Need to make up my mind really quick if I am to change the reserved plot. What would you say? Is it a deal breaker or I won't even hear it while watching telly?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
depends what floor the flat is.

the engine that moves the lift is usually at the top. newer lifts are usually quieter as well.
from experience the only time you will hear any noise is when someone enters or leave the lift

you can also put some furniture on that wall and it will isolate the noises as well
Edited by: "mattsk" 31st Jan
Thanks, it is on the 4th floor out of 7. So I won't hear an impact noise but I will hear people steps and chatting on enteting and exiting the lift? Then it should be similar to having a common wall with other flats no? If I were to go and pay more for one that is not so near the lift I would have at least one common wall with neighbours.
I would guess there will be lots of traffic, so you will feel you are living in a communal area. Googling the topic would indicate noise issue. May explain why the price is good.

google.co.uk/sea…r=2
The price is not actually good. It's the same as others. There is no difference with other flats on the 4th. On the 5th the same flat above is even more expensive, then 6th again, more expensive
Ashan8528 m ago

The price is not actually good. It's the same as others. There is no …The price is not actually good. It's the same as others. There is no difference with other flats on the 4th. On the 5th the same flat above is even more expensive, then 6th again, more expensive

you would be better off asking to get one away from the lift if the price is the same for one further away from the area. imagine when the lift breaks down and the user presses the alarm, you will hear that, and it will be annoying in the middle of the night.

lifts are also prone to being vandalised in some blocks if the wrong sort of tenants live there, so you would hear the commotion.
Traffic in and out of the lift day and night would do my nut in. One adjacent wall with a neighbour would be better in my opinion as long as they are a good neighbour. Get a bad one and thats a whole different ball game.
I'd be more worried about the extra foot traffic and the noise of people getting in/out of the lift more then the lift itself.
mutley122 m ago

you would be better off asking to get one away from the lift if the price …you would be better off asking to get one away from the lift if the price is the same for one further away from the area. imagine when the lift breaks down and the user presses the alarm, you will hear that, and it will be annoying in the middle of the night.lifts are also prone to being vandalised in some blocks if the wrong sort of tenants live there, so you would hear the commotion.

Yep, my previous 2 options were away from the lift even if I wasn't aware of it. Basically all prices were more or less equal on certain floors. The higher the floor, higher the prices go up for all types regardless of placement.But the ones on th 4th floor are now under offer and everything for the same price is not available. So it's either accepting the surprise or paying more for one on a higher level but flanked by 2 neighbours or 1 if I am lucky. A bit tricky that as well after reserving the plot today.
Edited by: "Ashan85" 31st Jan
Ashan8524 m ago

Yep, my previous 2 options were away from the lift even if I wasn't aware …Yep, my previous 2 options were away from the lift even if I wasn't aware of it. Basically all prices were more or less equal on certain floors. The higher the floor, higher the prices go up for all types regardless of placement.But the ones on th 4th floor are now under offer and everything for the same price is not available. So it's either accepting the surprise or paying more for one on a higher level but flanked by 2 neighbours or 1 if I am lucky. A bit tricky that as well after reserving the plot today.

shared ownership is harder to sell on, so you don't want any further complications as you never know when you may want to sell and move on.

if it was me, i would pay more and get a property that is not a potential problem.
Can't you discuss extra sound proofing with the property company? I lived in a block of flats with an airport behind, a train line in front and hgv vehicles driving past all day and the most annoying thing was other people ringing your doorbell to get into other flats and people running up and down the stairs. Personally I don't think the lift will be too much of an issue as it's not next to a bedroom in which case I would not want to be there.
adhkarzf1 h, 1 m ago

Can't you discuss extra sound proofing with the property company? I lived …Can't you discuss extra sound proofing with the property company? I lived in a block of flats with an airport behind, a train line in front and hgv vehicles driving past all day and the most annoying thing was other people ringing your doorbell to get into other flats and people running up and down the stairs. Personally I don't think the lift will be too much of an issue as it's not next to a bedroom in which case I would not want to be there.

Thanks, I really can't do that, it is just a take it or leave it kind of deal, I am not sure if they used any sound proofing boards or not, I can't even see the flat before purchase, this is usual these days. Good point about the bedroom, it is not affected by the lift and it's walls are not common with the neighbors. But it's like trading a potential nuisance for another potential nuisance (having 2 common walls both living room and bedroom and hearing my neighbors)
I’ve stayed in hotel rooms near the lift. It’s not so much the noise of the lift going up and down it’s the ding of the lift bell and the doors opening and closing, people chatting while waiting for the lift etc.
See what other plots they still have and their outlook and decide from there
Also, neighbours come and go but a lift is there forever 24/7
Toptrumpet15 h, 51 m ago

Also, neighbours come and go but a lift is there forever 24/7

33179111-lBZg7.jpg
I'd rather live next to a lift than have another neighbour any day of the week.

Can you not go and view the flat, find out how noisy the lift is? It might be a lift that annouces everything or it might be slient,
Ashan8521 h, 58 m ago

Thanks, I really can't do that, it is just a take it or leave it kind of …Thanks, I really can't do that, it is just a take it or leave it kind of deal, I am not sure if they used any sound proofing boards or not, I can't even see the flat before purchase, this is usual these days. Good point about the bedroom, it is not affected by the lift and it's walls are not common with the neighbors. But it's like trading a potential nuisance for another potential nuisance (having 2 common walls both living room and bedroom and hearing my neighbors)

Shared ownership or not, I wouldn't dream of taking up an option on the place without viewing it beforehand.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions