Is there really that massive difference between full HD and 4k TV please?

Posted 17th Oct
TV is mainly used to watch YouTube, Freeview and free stuff from Now TV i.e. BBC iPlayer.

I know if you stream from Netflix etc quality is superb. But would I see massive difference in quality watching stuff which I mentioned please?

also worth adding will be buying Xbox one S soon so not sure if I would see difference on this one.

I have full HD LED TV at the moment.

I would appreciate any constructive comments please
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
if the source is 4K/HDR (and if you have a good 4K TV) then yes but it's so rare, most of what I watch is HD except the odd show on Netflix and Amazon.
Edited by: "Gormond" 17th Oct
Gormond17/10/2019 13:48

if the source is 4K/HDR (and if you have a good 4K TV) then yes but it's …if the source is 4K/HDR (and if you have a good 4K TV) then yes but it's so rare, most of what I watch is HD except the odd show on Netflix and Amazon.

Many thanks. I was thinking about buying this £271 TV which was hot yesterday but although it is not massive amount of money I still doubt it will be worth it considering that Freeview is not in 4k. I guess only Xbox one S can display 4k (scaled up or something like that) if I have heard correctly.
eldaniel17/10/2019 13:51

Many thanks. I was thinking about buying this £271 TV which was hot …Many thanks. I was thinking about buying this £271 TV which was hot yesterday but although it is not massive amount of money I still doubt it will be worth it considering that Freeview is not in 4k. I guess only Xbox one S can display 4k (scaled up or something like that) if I have heard correctly.

One S upscales from FHD to 4K, doesn't support 4K natively (only One X does that). Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube all support 4K but it depends on the content.

Not worth upgrading from FHD to 4K unless you need a new TV or are very fussy about picture quality.
Edited by: "jamie15" 17th Oct
eldaniel17/10/2019 13:51

Many thanks. I was thinking about buying this £271 TV which was hot …Many thanks. I was thinking about buying this £271 TV which was hot yesterday but although it is not massive amount of money I still doubt it will be worth it considering that Freeview is not in 4k. I guess only Xbox one S can display 4k (scaled up or something like that) if I have heard correctly.

It can but it will only really make a difference if your playing 4K content such as UHD Blu-Ray or some Netflix/Amazon TV shows.
If you need to buy a new TV (ie old one stops working or is too small for the room etc) then definitely get 4K. But at the moment unless watching a lot of Netflix it isn't worth buying a 4K TV unless you need a TV anyway.
Many thanks for all your input. You just saved me few hundred pounds
jon81uk17/10/2019 13:53

If you need to buy a new TV (ie old one stops working or is too small for …If you need to buy a new TV (ie old one stops working or is too small for the room etc) then definitely get 4K. But at the moment unless watching a lot of Netflix it isn't worth buying a 4K TV unless you need a TV anyway.

Or have an Xbox One X/PS4 Pro and want to improve the look of your games.
Forgetting the 4k thing I upgraded from an 8 year old led 1080p hd to a new 4k LCD display, and even though I'm not using much 4k content yet, the actual quality of the image/screen and colour grading is miles better - and the more modern UI is brilliant. So I think there is more to think about than simply whether or not 4k is required. I wish I bought a more modern set sooner!
If upgrading concider 8K.
shepademus17/10/2019 14:13

Forgetting the 4k thing I upgraded from an 8 year old led 1080p hd to a …Forgetting the 4k thing I upgraded from an 8 year old led 1080p hd to a new 4k LCD display, and even though I'm not using much 4k content yet, the actual quality of the image/screen and colour grading is miles better - and the more modern UI is brilliant. So I think there is more to think about than simply whether or not 4k is required. I wish I bought a more modern set sooner!

Are you sure your 8 year old TV was an LED back/side lit LCD screen, at that sort of age it was on the cusp of the change between CCFL and LED lit screens.

I very much doubt it is down to the new screen being 4K that is affecting the quality of the image but the backlighting array and the video processing chipset/picture tuning options.
eldaniel17/10/2019 13:58

Many thanks for all your input. You just saved me few hundred pounds

4k TVs have upscaling , which means with HD it tries to mimick 4k.
So I would get only a. 4k TV unless it's a spare , bedroom TV etc.
How much is your budget and what size screen do you want.
adamderak17/10/2019 14:33

4k TVs have upscaling , which means with HD it tries to mimick 4k. So I … 4k TVs have upscaling , which means with HD it tries to mimick 4k. So I would get only a. 4k TV unless it's a spare , bedroom TV etc.How much is your budget and what size screen do you want.

It is not something I need to buy. I just thought I could enjoy better quality display. I am generally savvy but if convinced that worth spending more then I would
eldaniel17/10/2019 14:40

It is not something I need to buy. I just thought I could enjoy better …It is not something I need to buy. I just thought I could enjoy better quality display. I am generally savvy but if convinced that worth spending more then I would

It's not just about 4k, TV technology has moved ahead quite a bit. I post quite a few TV deals & generally people were hugely impressed by the improvement in image quality even with relatively cheaper brands like Hisense.
Having said that it sounds like you are quite content with your current TV , if it ain't broken don't need fixing.
Some folks scorn about a cheaper 4k sets but it's all relative.
4K is a tech for big TVs. If you're buying a 75" or 85" TV and sitting two meters away then you probably will notice a difference.

The normal 49"/55" further away just isn't big enough for you to be able to see much more detail than Full HD provides. For most people 4K is a dud.

That is of course if you compare 4K and FHD versions of comparable quality. That's not always the case as some content providers are making their 4K versions higher quality as well as higher resolution.

The more significant technology for picture quality is HDR but that's years off, both in terms of the display hardware coming down in price and the content being available.
You wont notice on a cheap tv, also you need a bigger tv and sit a certain distance to benefit. There’s a site what give optimal distances. You can google for it.
Bargainhead17/10/2019 15:53

You wont notice on a cheap tv, also you need a bigger tv and sit a certain …You wont notice on a cheap tv, also you need a bigger tv and sit a certain distance to benefit. There’s a site what give optimal distances. You can google for it.

38687694-48t7S.jpg
Nah - I don't notice much difference watching the Prime 4K stuff, didn't even think it was that sharp. Switch back to the HD terrestrial channels and it all seems pretty much the same.
cicobuff17/10/2019 14:31

Are you sure your 8 year old TV was an LED back/side lit LCD screen, at …Are you sure your 8 year old TV was an LED back/side lit LCD screen, at that sort of age it was on the cusp of the change between CCFL and LED lit screens. I very much doubt it is down to the new screen being 4K that is affecting the quality of the image but the backlighting array and the video processing chipset/picture tuning options.

Wow this became patronising quick... Last time I give me two pence.
shepademus17/10/2019 19:27

Hardly patronising
shepademus17/10/2019 19:27

I am somewhat dumbfounded my wording appeared patronising to you, perhaps I should use grammarly to reword things or perhaps me even suggesting that appears patronising.
chocci17/10/2019 19:32

Hardly patronising

Thanks, I am somewhat flummoxed myself!
jamie1517/10/2019 13:53

One S upscales from FHD to 4K, doesn't support 4K natively (only One X …One S upscales from FHD to 4K, doesn't support 4K natively (only One X does that). Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube all support 4K but it depends on the content.Not worth upgrading from FHD to 4K unless you need a new TV or are very fussy about picture quality.

This is spot on. Most TV channels still broadcast in SD!! SD looks bloody terrible on my 4K telly!
Curlyman8318/10/2019 16:22

This is spot on. Most TV channels still broadcast in SD!! SD looks bloody …This is spot on. Most TV channels still broadcast in SD!! SD looks bloody terrible on my 4K telly!

I have a cheap 4K TV and Freeview SD looks terrible. Still does the job for me though. Using an old ariel which is so bad it can't cope with HD.
jamie1518/10/2019 16:24

I have a cheap 4K TV and Freeview SD looks terrible. Still does the job …I have a cheap 4K TV and Freeview SD looks terrible. Still does the job for me though. Using an old ariel which is so bad it can't cope with HD.

I rarely watch live tv now. It’s all Netflix/Prime. I just can stand the image quality
Curlyman8318/10/2019 16:26

I rarely watch live tv now. It’s all Netflix/Prime. I just can stand the i …I rarely watch live tv now. It’s all Netflix/Prime. I just can stand the image quality

Yeah, I stopped watching live TV completely for Netflix/Prime Video/Hulu/YouTube/Twitch (only watched live football but even that was on Sky Go) but over the last month or so I've started to watch live TV a bit more. The image quality is poor and my ariel is really bad, can only get some BBC/ITV/Channel 4, so I don't watch much.
Edited by: "jamie15" 18th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants