Is There Some Secret Sales Tactic At eBay Im Not Being Told About?

Found 19th Dec 2011
Hmm…. I always think this – but do some sellers offer “Best Offer” just to attract attention?

I'm not sure of the genius behind it – but this isn’t the first time that I've seen an item I want – seen it for £X price here and £X price there – but one seller is offering “Best Offer”.

So naturally – I offer the price -25% etc, and see what happens.

But it seems that 98% of the time nowadays – they just expire.

offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/…055

This item in particular… Whats the theory? Do they think that my offer will expire and because this is on my “Did Not Win”/”Best Offer” list I will naturally just ‘bite the bullet’ and buy it for full whack?

Because – I don’t.

If they ignore my bid – I try and memorise their UserID haha and never buy from them ever.

Is there some eBook kicking around saying “Just list it as Best Offer anyway and people will flock to your item!”

And on that note – how are people still managing to list items for auction at a 1p start? I thought the minimum was 99p.

“I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!”
--- Mugato [Zoolander]
Community Updates
Misc
24 Comments
Maybe they want 98% because taking a 25% hit would mean making a loss, ever think of that?
25% less than asking? No wonder you are being ignored!
If they ignore my bid – I try and memorise their UserID haha and never buy from them ever.

I bet they lose sleep over that one.

Ive put a load of stuff on there recently. I check the completed listings and base my price on that, then ask for best offer because it does work (for me anyway). I think people like to know theyve got a few £ off, and Im not that fussed over losing a bit when usually things at BIN dont sell so quickly, if at all (sometimes). Recently Ive had a few numptys ask for half the price, but I set it to automatically decline those offers.. Ones that are slightly less stupid but get sent for consideration just get left to expire.. If someone wants to offer me a stupid price, why should I bother letting them know whether I accept or decline, I can't even be bothered making counteroffers to them either!
It's good form to get back to someone making you an offer, even if they're taking the P.
/\ /\ /\ this
if (as a seller) you aren't happy with an offer why not counteroffer and let them know what you think it reasonable
i've best offered with more than 25% discount before and had it accepted. I even saved 100s by offering 60% of asking on something and the seller was happy to go through with it
Sellers might be offended by your low ball offer and not want to deal with you, even if you'd creep the offer up a few percent.

That and they think you'd never go anywhere near what they want. I'd never ignore an offer, just in case they come back with something higher (and were trying their luck with their low ball offer). That said, if you're a big seller, you probably just skim through the days offers and ignore the low ones - as replying to each one would take up time.
internetshoppa

/\ /\ /\ thisif (as a seller) you aren't happy with an offer why not … /\ /\ /\ thisif (as a seller) you aren't happy with an offer why not counteroffer and let them know what you think it reasonablei've best offered with more than 25% discount before and had it accepted. I even saved 100s by offering 60% of asking on something and the seller was happy to go through with it

Indeed I've had a couple of low bids accepted first time.

The thing is if you're willing to accept offers you have to do the negotiation dance. You put something for £100, they offer £50, you counter £80 and they buy. If not then you knew they were taking the P butyou're eliminating genuine serious bidders looking to play the game if you dismiss them so quickly.
deleted265520
Ebay username so I can add you to buyers block list OP?
dtovey89

Ebay username so I can add you to buyers block list OP?

LoL.

I think people have missed my point.

The 25% off is the starting block, as they will (usually) counter – and we’ll come to a nice agreement.

My original post is about people who just ignore offers (hence the supplied eBay link).

In some examples I've asked for minor reductions in line with other eBay sellers – as I like to buy from the best reputation seller – for the best price on the (eBay) market.

I totally agree with Master Chief, its good form to come back to people regardless. I sell lots on eBay, and I like to throw out best offer – with automatic rulings on my “acceptable” price.

But even if people come in under (by a lot) ill still do the standard negotiation dance.

I think people are getting a little irate without reading what I'm writing about.

My question is (to summarise)

“Why offer ‘Best Offer’ when you are simply to ignore all offers?”

(If you check the link, there’s been loads of offers, all of which are just left to expire – not declined, not countered, just timed-out)

Why? That can only be detrimental to your UserIDs perception/reputation (hence my comment about trying to avoid them).
Best offers is just another way of getting you hooked in imo.

Say an item is £100 but you only want to pay £80, if it was buy it now then you'd ignore it and move on. Now you will still offer £80 but i can almost guarantee 80-90% of people will watch it and maybe up their offer. Very few will put in their offer and walk away if it is rejected never to return.
Is the OP for real?
greg_68

Best offers is just another way of getting you hooked in imo

Thats exactly it, like I said - I think a lot of people will - where I adamantly try not to.

Just stick it there so people offer - then you are forever on their "Did Not Win" section.

Then out of ease-of-access, you up your offer - or just buy it.

Its frustrating when so many items I look at have pages of expired/ignored offers.
deleted265520
Silhouette

LoL.I think people have missed my point.The 25% off is the starting … LoL.I think people have missed my point.The 25% off is the starting block, as they will (usually) counter – and we’ll come to a nice agreement.My original post is about people who just ignore offers (hence the supplied eBay link).In some examples I've asked for minor reductions in line with other eBay sellers – as I like to buy from the best reputation seller – for the best price on the (eBay) market.I totally agree with Master Chief, its good form to come back to people regardless. I sell lots on eBay, and I like to throw out best offer – with automatic rulings on my “acceptable” price.But even if people come in under (by a lot) ill still do the standard negotiation dance.I think people are getting a little irate without reading what I'm writing about.My question is (to summarise)“Why offer ‘Best Offer’ when you are simply to ignore all offers?”(If you check the link, there’s been loads of offers, all of which are just left to expire – not declined, not countered, just timed-out)Why? That can only be detrimental to your UserIDs perception/reputation (hence my comment about trying to avoid them).

A poor mans fanpages
Being a little harsh aren't we Dtovey?
I dont even get what that means? Fanpages? Huh?

Sorry if people have misconstrued my point - I think I was posting mostly out of frustration and confusion combined.

Fed up with throwing out offers (and subsequently not bidding on ending auctions in case the offer is accepted) only for most offers to go ignored.

Its not always 25%, thats a rule of thumb - like buying a second hand car.

Trying to get last minute bits sorted for Christmas - and ive been annoyed by this ignorance tactic that a lot of sellers have deployed for a while now - and when time is really an issue (last postal dates) its just even more frustrating.

There should be an option where if they accept your offer after 36 hours (each offer valid for 48 hours right?) you have to option to refuse. Or at least provide the system with a matching eBay Item number that you've bought whilst awaiting offer confirmation.

I just cant understand why most of the items I see nowadays with "Best Offer" always are rife with Expired/Pending offers.

[/rant]
I am a Powerseller on eBay and I set Best Offer to automatically reject / accept at ~ 10% off when I use it. Dream on for 25%.
Silhouette

I dont even get what that means? Fanpages? Huh?Sorry if people have … I dont even get what that means? Fanpages? Huh?Sorry if people have misconstrued my point - I think I was posting mostly out of frustration and confusion combined.Fed up with throwing out offers (and subsequently not bidding on ending auctions in case the offer is accepted) only for most offers to go ignored.Its not always 25%, thats a rule of thumb - like buying a second hand car.Trying to get last minute bits sorted for Christmas - and ive been annoyed by this ignorance tactic that a lot of sellers have deployed for a while now - and when time is really an issue (last postal dates) its just even more frustrating.There should be an option where if they accept your offer after 36 hours (each offer valid for 48 hours right?) you have to option to refuse. Or at least provide the system with a matching eBay Item number that you've bought whilst awaiting offer confirmation.I just cant understand why most of the items I see nowadays with "Best Offer" always are rife with Expired/Pending offers.[/rant]

you could just retract your offer, if the seller doesn't reply within a certain period of time...no need to wait 24+ hrs.
Some people here obviously don't understand how negotiations work.. Of course the -25% is cheeky and most likely to be declined however most sellers will see it and offer back a price.. That's how negotiations are done and that's what the OP is saying.

Makes me think people here would go buy a car and pay full asking price:|
deleted265520
master_chief

Being a little harsh aren't we Dtovey?

Rule of 3 shouldn't be broken. No need for a wall of text talking about something so small. People will make low ball offers - it doesn't take a thesis to work it out.
dtovey89

Rule of 3 shouldn't be broken. No need for a wall of text talking about … Rule of 3 shouldn't be broken. No need for a wall of text talking about something so small. People will make low ball offers - it doesn't take a thesis to work it out.

The Op structure wasn't that bad.
deleted265520
master_chief

The Op structure wasn't that bad.

Signing off with quotes. I'd rather have BFN back lol

dtovey89

Signing off with quotes. I'd rather have BFN back lol

I do miss him
deleted265520
Actually OP amongst it all you raise a fair point. I don't understand why sellers let offers expire especially if they reply it gives them the chance to come back with a counter offer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions