Is this 17" laptop any good? Update: Help Argos sent wrong one?

16 replies
Found 27th Aug 2016
It's for general Internet stuff, photoshop/office and very occasionally CAD

m.ebay.co.uk/itm…r=1

1. Ask
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Laptop
16 Comments

Original Poster

Just incase anyone can't see the link it is the refurbished 12 mth warranty for £213

Specs

Lenovo C70 17.3 Inch Intel 1.33GHz 8GB 1TB Windows 8 Laptop - Black.

Refurbished With a 12 Month Argos Guarantee

When all your work is done, entertain with this device, play games, listen to music, watch TV and movies. Benefit from having a larger screen.
CPU, Memory and Operating System:
Intel Pentium i3-380u dual core processor.
1TB SATA-II hard drive.
Microsoft Windows 8.1.
Display features:
17.3 inch screen.
High definition display.
Resolution 1600 x 900 pixels.
DVD optical drives:
DVD-RW (read/write).
Graphics:
Shared graphics card.
Interfaces and connectivity:
4-in-1 media card reader.
2 USB 2.0 ports.
1 USB 3.0 port.
1 HDMI port.
Wi-Fi enabled.
Multimedia features:
HD webcam.
Built-in mic.
Dolby sound system.
General information:
Up to 4 hours battery life.
Size H2.8, W41.8, D28.3cm.
Weight 2.9kg.

It's a ~6 year old laptop so don't expect the world from it and I suspect you're paying for the 'refurbishment' compared with second hand laptops of a similar age so I'd want to know it's got a new battery at the very least.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

It's a ~6 year old laptop so don't expect the world from it and I suspect … It's a ~6 year old laptop so don't expect the world from it and I suspect you're paying for the 'refurbishment' compared with second hand laptops of a similar age so I'd want to know it's got a new battery at the very least.

Thanks, trying to find a decent good value 17" is difficult. I wonder at £215 even if I had to buy a new battery if it's still good value.

I imagine that thing will be extremely sluggish in day to day operations with its Pentium processor and HDD, but then again as you have stated it is hard to find a cheap 17 inch laptop.

1.33ghz in Photoshop? Haha

Original Poster

abzycar

1.33ghz in Photoshop? Haha

Can you recommend any other budget 17"?

I have always found laptops very poor compared to desktops, if you need a laptop fair enough but if you can have a desktop I would.

Original Poster

OK so I ordered the C70 in the description for £213.

I've collected it today and I've got the G70-80 8GB 1TB laptop model 80FF.

It looks brand new but is this better or worse than the C70?

I don't want to complain if it is but have they sent me a worse one?

Edited by: "rachelandgromit" 31st Aug 2016

Original Poster

http://i.imgbox.com/rhj3plYG.jpg

rachelandgromit

OK so I ordered the C70 in the description for £213.I've collected it … OK so I ordered the C70 in the description for £213.I've collected it today and I've got the G70-80 8GB 1TB laptop model 80FF.It looks brand new but is this better or worse than the C70? I don't want to complain if it is but have they sent me a worse one?

assuming its the pentium 3825u then at least its a recent CPU which should be better than the 6 year old version.

according to benchmarks (~1100 vs ~2600 in passmark) its about twice as powerful but still dont expect amazing performance.
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 31st Aug 2016

Original Poster

adamspencer95

assuming its the pentium 3825u then at least its a recent CPU which … assuming its the pentium 3825u then at least its a recent CPU which should be better than the 6 year old version.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I think it's a 3805u. I don't want to do anything with it until I know if I've been done. I know with £200 budget I'm not going to get anything amazingly wonderful but I don't want them to think they can send me something worse and get away with it.

http://i.imgbox.com/AWETd11u.jpg
Edited by: "rachelandgromit" 31st Aug 2016

rachelandgromit

Thanks for your quick reply.I think it's a 3805u. I don't want to do … Thanks for your quick reply.I think it's a 3805u. I don't want to do anything with it until I know if I've been done. I know with £200 budget I'm not going to get anything amazingly wonderful but I don't want them to think they can send me something worse and get away with it.

​looks like its the pentium 3805. makes a bit more sense as its a 2014 CPU. still slightly more capable than the CPU in your original post so i think youve done pretty well.

Original Poster

adamspencer95

​looks like its the pentium 3805. makes a bit more sense as its a 2014 C … ​looks like its the pentium 3805. makes a bit more sense as its a 2014 CPU. still slightly more capable than the CPU in your original post so i think youve done pretty well.

Brilliant. Thanks for replying. I'll hang on to it then, I was about to fire off a complaint!

adamspencer95

​looks like its the pentium 3805. makes a bit more sense as its a 2014 C … ​looks like its the pentium 3805. makes a bit more sense as its a 2014 CPU.

I think you're getting it confused with the 3558U there. The 3805U/3825U is still the most widely used model on brand new laptops, although there is technically a newer 4405U available.

You got an excellent machine for £213, even the more popular 15" machines with that processor tend to start at about £240 new, and that's with less memory and storage.

EndlessWaves

I think you're getting it confused with the 3558U there. The 3805U/3825U … I think you're getting it confused with the 3558U there. The 3805U/3825U is still the most widely used model on brand new laptops, although there is technically a newer 4405U available.You got an excellent machine for £213, even the more popular 15" machines with that processor tend to start at about £240 new, and that's with less memory and storage.

​the 3805U was made available Q1 of 2015 so it may still be widely used but it is still almost 2 years old.

either way, still a better CPU than in the original post so we can all agree the OP has done well

Original Poster

Oh brilliant I can't complain then. There isn't a mark or scratch on it either.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Will iPad 2 iOS update slows it down?11
    2. Whey protien631
    3. Invisalign dental braces in London33
    4. PayPal Friends and Family Payment reversal options32

See more discussions