Is this a decent laptop for £360?

Found 8th Dec 2017
Is this a reasonable price at £360 after the cashback for the spec? Useless with computers so no idea what the numbers mean! I think an A12 processor is pretty good, but don't know about the rest of it or whether it's suitable: very.co.uk/hp-…a12

I'm pretty clueless about laptops, looking for something for a teenager to do general internet stuff and a bit of gaming - don't really know what, just things on Steam etc. I wouldn't know how to upgrade various bits so just want something that will plug in from the box and go.

Or is there another on the Very cashback deal that would be better (preferably cheaper than this one - ideally wanted to pay around £250-350). Thanks for any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Original Poster
  • Depth: 38.43 CM
  • Display Size: 15.6in
  • AMD Radeon™ R7 Graphics
  • 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA
  • SuperMulti DVD burner
  • 2 USB 2.0; 1 USB 3.0
  • 1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo
  • Up to 9 hours battery life
  • DTS Studio Sound™; Dual speakers
  • 1 multi-format SD media card reader
  • HP TrueVision HD Camera with integrated digital microphone
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
  • Hard Drive Storage: 2 Tb
  • Height: 2.43 CM
  • Processor: AMD Quad-Core A12-9700P APU
  • RAM Memory: 8 GB
  • Touch Screen: N
  • Width: 25.46 CM
  • Wifi Enabled: Y
Banned
guess you're looking at the 20% off deal on very, but yeah it isn't bad for the price

normal use you can't go wrong
Banned
ah man why do I need approval all the time
Original Poster
RealLawyer4 m ago

guess you're looking at the 20% off deal on very, but yeah it isn't bad …guess you're looking at the 20% off deal on very, but yeah it isn't bad for the pricenormal use you can't go wrong

Thanks. I've been looking through the Very list all day (can pay it off in full in Jan that way rather than using December cash!) but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
This notebookcheck.net/Mob…tml site can help you make a more informed decision. The a12 laptop isn't a decent gaming computer without a dedicated graphics card. It fails to run most games, as you can see here: notebookcheck.net/AMD…tml

For that budget, it's difficult to see you getting a decent gaming laptop. Even laptops with the basic level 940M graphics card are around £500 brand new.

You can try dell's outlet store to see if you can pick up a refurbished model, which come with 12 months warranty. They may have a few scratches, but you might be able to snag a bargain if you really have to have a laptop.

Best advice is to get a gaming desktop, especially building one, if you or your kid know someone who can do that for you.
Agree, a desktop is far better value for money especially if you already have a computer monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Obviously if a laptop is required for space reasons etc then you either have to accept that you will have to pay probably double or triple to get a gaming laptop or that it won’t be useful for much more than solitaire.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants