Is this a decent spec?

Getting a new computer and currently considering this but as i know little about computers and gnerally everything thought i'd try get some feedback on here....

Intel core 2 duo E4500
2.20 GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache
Windows Vista Premium
2048MB memory
360GB hard drive
Dual layer DVD RW
128MB GeForce 8300 GS
128MB graphics memory

can pick this up for about £220 with mouse and keyboard

Thanks in advance.

Dallas

20 Comments

Yeah, it looks good to me, especially for the price.
What do you want it for? lots of gaming? just net browsing and the odd game?

Good price Dallas

E4500 C2Ds arent cutting edge but will do quite nicely

E4500 (approx 75), VIsta Premium (approx 55), 2GB (approx 30), 360 HD (approx 35-40), DVD RW (approx 15). Hard to price memory and hard drive but I think the above are fair estimates...

In other words, youre basically getting rest for free...

Sounds like a quite a bargain, what will you be using the pc for?

> Intel core 2 duo E4500 - 2.20 GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache

A dual core, but at the lower end of the scale

> Windows Vista Premium

No such thing. I assume they mean Vista HOME premium. Fine

> 2048MB memory

Good enough for Vista

> 360GB hard drive

Large hard disk. Good

> Dual layer DVD RW

Good

> 128MB GeForce 8300 GS - 128MB graphics memory

128Mb is a fairly low amount of memory. I would say a reasonable card but not a great card. Will not play the latest games (must admit I am not a graphics expert).

Here is a Dell from this site with almost exactly the same specs as yours at £319 (remove the monitor for that price).

hotukdeals.com/ite…2g/

So yours at £220 seems pretty good.

Original Poster

well i have an xbox so i wont be doing much gaming other than the silly online games (when bored) pretty much just for web browsing and listening/copying music

the 8300 will just do aero and some vids.... i wouldnt really recomend it... get a better one for like £40 if you want to do anything more than internet surf

Dallas1987;1781186

well i have an xbox so i wont be doing much gaming other than the silly … well i have an xbox so i wont be doing much gaming other than the silly online games (when bored) pretty much just for web browsing and listening/copying music

The graphics card will be fine then. No point spending more money on something your unlikely to see the benefit of.

Forsaken;1781124

E4500 (approx 75), VIsta Premium (approx 55), 2GB (approx 30), 360 HD … E4500 (approx 75), VIsta Premium (approx 55), 2GB (approx 30), 360 HD (approx 35-40), DVD RW (approx 15). Hard to price memory and hard drive but I think the above are fair estimates...

Only £35-£40 for a 360Gb SATA hard drive?

I'd like to know where from, I would say nearer £50 for a 360Gb.

Cheapest 320Gb on ebuyer is £45.

Original Poster

Only other thing that kinda bothers me is that its a "refurb" anybody had any experiences in the past bad or good?

Dallas1987;1781278

Only other thing that kinda bothers me is that its a "refurb" anybody had … Only other thing that kinda bothers me is that its a "refurb" anybody had any experiences in the past bad or good?

Why wait till now to tell the full story. Its about the same diff between a new and 2nd hand car

this is a dell, right? It's not a refurb as such, if so. Most are systems sent back for a variety of issues which might be just that the owner has changed mind. I've bought several pcs - laps and desktops - from outlet and have always been happy.

Guilbert - it was an estimate to make a point and the point is even stronger if the 360gb is more expensive that the estimate... I unfortunately dont have time to look at exact prices before posting a reply to help someone make an informed decision. The system for the price is a great deal whether or not the 360gb is 35-40 or 50

I found your original comment (which I see youve since edited) re it being good - not great somewhat baffling. What do you expect to get for £220? A system containing a E8500 which overclocks to 4.6ghz on air?? Surely...

Original Poster

Nah it aint a Dell its coming from PCworld it's a "PACKARD BELL IMEDIA 2422 Refurbished PC Base Unit"

if its one thats been on display DONT GET IT

if its just a returned etc grab a bargin.

i say dont get one that been on display beacuse i have had 4 of these type and all had problems untill a COMPLEATE swap over happened. but now i just build em myself. shame i cant build a laptop though

Dallas1987;1781455

Nah it aint a Dell its coming from PCworld it's a "PACKARD BELL IMEDIA … Nah it aint a Dell its coming from PCworld it's a "PACKARD BELL IMEDIA 2422 Refurbished PC Base Unit"

If this was a Dell I would say get it.

As it is a Packard Bell I would say dont get it.

Packard Bell computers have a terrible reliability record and PC World dont have a great reputation either. Put the two together !

I agree with Guilbert53 on this one...

Original Poster

Fanks for the help folks, much appreciated, think i will get it, all i need now is a cheapy moniter n im ready 2 go

Dallas

Original Poster

last post was posted before the previous 2 so having second thoughts now, don't suppose anyone could point me in the direction of another option, i.e. a computer for web browsing and music downloading/copying and listening between £200-£300

thanks in advance, you guys are alot of help.

Dallas

misco.co.uk/app…417 - better processor, but not as good RAM - £199

Original Poster

Thanks seems like a much better choice:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846107
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764062
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2132
    4. Sad news about Barcelona1867

See more discussions