Expired

Is this a good build for a budget pc?

7 replies
Found 19th Jun 2014
I'm only planning on using this a general media pc so not really any gaming just very light video/photo editing and general surfing the web watching movies and multi tasking etc. Any thing I should change or get cheaper else where? Im trying to get this build to around £300ish any advise would be great thanks.

Asus AM1I-A Motherboard £24
AMD APU Athlon 5350 Quad Core Processor £40
HyperX Black Series 8GB £55.00
SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 64GB £32.00
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB £38.00
Silverstone ML07B Milo Black Mini ITX Case £55
Samsung Slim Internal Blu Ray DVD Writer £41
500W Small SFX Power Supply £28

£313 total

1. Ask
  2. PC
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. PC
7 Comments

Looks good for the basic requirements you have. Only thing I would say is that the GeForce 210 would seem a poor choice as for less than £2 more you could swap for a HD6450 that is actually slightly faster but more energy efficient while doing it. I looked at the G210 and changed my mind when I saw the advantages as there seems to be no disadvantages to the 6450 by comparison and when I purchased the 2 GPUs were the same price so it was a no brainer and would save me money in the long run.

gpuboss.com/gpu…210

dabs.com/pro…=16
I'm sure it can be had cheaper too.

Original Poster

Astec123

Looks good for the basic requirements you have. Only thing I would say is … Looks good for the basic requirements you have. Only thing I would say is that the GeForce 210 would seem a poor choice as for less than £2 more you could swap for a HD6450 that is actually slightly faster but more energy efficient while doing it. I looked at the G210 and changed my mind when I saw the advantages as there seems to be no disadvantages to the 6450 by comparison and when I purchased the 2 GPUs were the same price so it was a no brainer and would save me money in the long run.http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6450-vs-GeForce-210http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-vtx3d-amd-radeon-6450-hd-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-silent-lp-8Z7F.html?q=6450&src=16I'm sure it can be had cheaper too.

Thanks looks good the performance is pretty decent.

If you ever want to overclock then you will be struggling with that board. I know you say you only want light use but overclocking these days is a doddle and that processor is made for it, hence the 'black edition'.

This board is £9 more but will give you a much faster system with a little overclock, well worth the little bit extra in my opinion.
ebuyer.com/461…g43

EDIT: Ah just noticed, my choice is an ATX board and will probably not fit in the case you chose.

Even the 6450 is rather out of date these days Unless you specifically want an FX (and from the sound of it, processing power isn't a priority) then an A10-7700K/7850K combines the newer version of the CPU modules in the FX (although only two of them instead of three) and a more powerful and more up to date graphics chip.

You probably will want to spend a few quid extra on bumping up the memory speed as it makes a difference for on chip graphics but you're only talking £5 more for DDR3-2133. And they use a different motherboard socket as well, but prices are comparable.

Apart from that it looks fine.

No HDMI on the motherboard if that is important to you.

guilbert53

No HDMI on the motherboard if that is important to you.

Not important as the GPU has one.

As above, this looks good:

amazon.co.uk/Rad…450

Original Poster

update would this pc be a good build?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Follow-up to the closure of Kids Company in 2015.611
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604811
    3. Leicester sack their manager!1222
    4. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…50113

See more discussions